diy solar

diy solar

Big problem with Epever Tracer 5415AN

Adrian R

I bought an Epever Tracer 5415AN from Y-SOLAlR Store on Aliexpress, delivery from Germany on April 4th this year. I bought the MT50 remote control, too.

Configuration:

3 panels of 410 watt in series, VOC 105v, Imp 13A
Battery Li Ion 14s 6 kwh SDI, 48v min, 57v max

The system works occasionally. When I don't need it I turn off PV breaker and Batt breaker.

It worked for about 2 months, on and off.

4 days ago I turned it off.

Yesterday I turn on batt breaker and Epever doesn't start anymore. 80A fuse is fine. I have voltage inside the lid but controller is dead.

Y-SOLAR store ignored all my messages. So no technical support at all from them. I wrote to technical support of Epever, I am still waiting for their answer. Anyone else had a similar problem? Any ideas for fixing it?

Thank you

In what order did you turn off the system?
EPever controllers are known to fail if the battery is disconnected while solar is still available.
BMS cell protection causing a sudden disconnect has also allegedly killed EPever controllers. They rely on the battery for maintaining stability.

Yes, I checked the fuse. It is ok. I disconnected the panels first, of course. I suspect that because of the small spark that occurs when I connect the batteries through the breaker, maybe one of the mosfets got burned. It is still a mystery. Finally the AliExpress store and the manufacturer agreed to do something about it after countless emails and videos sent to them. I will see soon what their solution is. My JK BMS is set to interrupt the connection between the batteries and the charger/ inverter long after low voltage disconnect set point in the inverter, so no problem there

Finally the AliExpress seller replaced the unit free of charge. In the meantime I got the first unit repaired, the guy fixing it said it was some big resistor that had failed and that was responsible for the part of the charge controller being connected to the battery. So now I have 2 units! This was also an opportunity for me to discover a cheaper, better product: Easun mppt solar charge controller 10048 - simple but very efficient, even during cloudy days

It did take me several weeks of writing emails and messages and sending videos both to the Epever factory and the AliExpress seller ...

Back