diy solar

diy solar

Bleeding the inverter capacitors

Browse

Solar Enthusiast
When I was troubleshooting my Lifepower4 firmware upgrade in this thread, I noticed that I had residual voltage on the battery rack busbars after shutting off each of the individual battery breakers. I have since determined that this voltage is coming from the Growatt inverter capacitors connected to the DC input. It takes at least a few hours for the capacitors to naturally bleed off after shutting down the system.

If I ever need to work on the battery wiring after the system has been powered on, is it OK to simply bleed off the capacitors by turning on the inverter after the batteries breakers have been turned off? The inverter tries to start, uses the remaining energy in the capacitors, then promptly shuts down. This wouldn't be a frequent activity...maybe once or twice a year. Could this damage the inverter? Most of the time I would just let the capacitors bleed off slowly.

I know there are battery disconnect switches to accomplish proper isolation of the rack from the inverter, but I'm not sure putting another component in my system is the way I want to go since the system is rarely used.

Back