diy solar

diy solar

Bluetti 1500 vs 2400 + Solar panel?

Yes, I did see that vid Tom made, and he inspired me to go with the EB240 rather than trying to put a whole system together. I did cancel my solar panel order and am back to my original plan to buy suitcase panels.

I would like the Sungold Power 130 Watt suitcase he reviewed except I don't have time to mess with dismantling the controller on it; and getting deliveries is taking far more time than it used to. I have to be out of my house by 5/13. I guess it's time to go shopping again. Your vids are on Youtube, aren't they? I could find them there if I knew your handle there or a title of a vid. Maybe you have some suitcase panel suggestions there?
Not my vids but now I find out that you already watched Toms and Wills video's.
If you have watched Toms videos then you should have all the answers.
Why mention buying 100 watt panels in your first post if you are no longer getting them and not mentioning
that you like the Sungold 130 watt??????

You will have to Mess with dismantling as in re wiring around the controller if you buy a Sungold Power 130 Watt suitcase and you will not find a lower price!
Suitcase panels are relatively expensive compared to plain panels and only a few come with no controller.

Seeing you include irrelevant details I will say that I bought a $180 HQST 100 watt suitcase on Craigslist for $60 in like new condition. :) I will throw the junky PWM controller that comes with it in the trash.
HQST 100 watt suitcase has 2 50 watt panels wired together to make 100 watts.

This is correct and is what I was saying about 3 100 watt panels in Series.
21.x volts x 3 100 watt panels in Series = about 65 volts total which is less than the EB240s 67 volt max limit.
The amps on those 3 panels in Series is the same as one panels amps so about 6 amps in total.

The over paneling worked because the total open circuit voltage of all the panels was under the 67 volts max.
I am only using 100 watt panels as an example because you already bought 2 100 watt panels.
170 watt panels would be better but they are larger and heavier so you probably would not prefer them.

Do you understand what I posted so far?
OK, now I see that you Returned the 100 watt panels and only want info on suitcases. :(
Yes to all the above. Thanks for the information, and simply put! It seems my best use of solar suitcases would be three of 120-130 watts each that I can put in series and stay under the 67 open volt limit. Am I on the right path?

Yes to all the above. Thanks for the information, and simply put! It seems my best use of solar suitcases would be three of 120-130 watts each that I can put in series and stay under the 67 open volt limit. Am I on the right path?
How about paying someone to install 3 170 watt BougeRV or similar panels on your roof?

130W Monocrystalline Portable Foldable Solar Panel Suitcase with 10A Waterproof Charge Controller
Specification:
Nominal output: 65W+65W (Black color)

Operating voltage: 18V
Operating current: 7.25A
Open circuit voltage: 22V
Short circuit current: 7.56A

Solar panel: 18V 65W x 2pcs
Module efficiency: 17%
Product dimension:43*30*1.2inch
Product folding size:30*22*2.6inch
Product weight: 24.0LB

The 130 volt suitcases are:
Open circuit voltage: 22V x three 130 watt panels = 66 Volts which is just below the 67 volt limit.
Other suitcases are 21.x volts.

How about paying someone to install 3 170 watt BougeRV or similar panels on your roof?

130W Monocrystalline Portable Foldable Solar Panel Suitcase with 10A Waterproof Charge Controller
Specification:
Nominal output: 65W+65W (Black color)

Operating voltage: 18V
Operating current: 7.25A
Open circuit voltage: 22V
Short circuit current: 7.56A

Solar panel: 18V 65W x 2pcs
Module efficiency: 17%
Product dimension:43*30*1.2inch
Product folding size:30*22*2.6inch
Product weight: 24.0LB

The 130 volt suitcases are:
Open circuit voltage: 22V x three 130 watt panels = 66 Volts which is just below the 67 volt limit.
Other suitcases are 21.x volts.
I think that is a great idea! Save $$ on the panels and use it for the install. Thank you so much. Going to try to find someone to install...

I think that is a great idea! Save $$ on the panels and use it for the install. Thank you so much. Going to try to find someone to install...
Do you have room on your roof for 3 170 watt panels?
I think Tom was only using 2 170 watt and 1 smaller panel.
3 panels at 22.5 volts are over the limit of 67 volts.

Specifications:
  • Max. power voltage(Vmp): 19.01V
  • Max. power current(Imp): 8.91A
  • Open circuit voltage(Voc): 22.5V
  • Short circuit current(Isc): 9.44A

Been researching these portable solar units for a few days and would like to have the experts feedback please. Feel free to answer 1 or all questions.
Also saw Will's youtube vide on bluetti. At one point he recommends the Goal Yeti but read on this site he isn't recommending it anymore.

Looking for a unit under $2500 that could backup a fridge or chest freezer, maybe TV/Microwave etc and obviously phones.

1. Bluetti 1500 vs 2400?
I've seen the Titan is on backorder so what are recommendations for next best available? The Goal Zero seems to be crossed off the list now too.
Has anyone bought the 2400 Maxoak Bluetti or do most people just have the 1500?

2. Solar Panels?
This is where I have no experience (obviously). Maxoak has one 120w panel for sale on their website. Is this what people buy or are there better recommended panels? I don't want a bunch so how quickly would a 120w panel charge the 1500 or 2400? Any suggestions/feedback on panels would be great.
What is the average cost for a quality panel? The MaxOak website doesn't even sell their solar panels and the link to Amazon doesn't work. Concerned about the quality of their site and being a newer company.

Other questions:
- Is there another portable generator under $2500 that you would recommend other than Bluetti?
- Why do people worry about charging their computer in a blackout when the wifi wouldn't even work, the bluetti has a MacBook port but w/out WiFi it wouldn't matter.

Thanks
Will's later video cautions against the Bluetti because it has software issues, reports of people waiting months for a replacement under warranty and other than a tech support number, they have no english speaking customer service in the US.

Back