diy solar

diy solar

BMS Bluetooth range extender

thedodgersonline

Hi Brains trust
I have a Bluetooth enabled BMS and want to use the Bluetooth to display battery etc in the cab but the range of the BMS Bluetooth is abysmal (about 6 inches) Does anyone know of a product that would receive the signals from the BMS and then re-transmit them. Google just gives me audio related products that do not really suit.
Thanks in Advance

I bet a simple Rasberry could be configured to relay information, or allow access to the info from Bluetooth...

Victron SmartShunt has good Bluetooth if you are looking for voltage, amperage, wattage, battery capacity, consumed amp hours and estimated time till battery is dead ....It is a simple install also.

Victron SmartShunt has good Bluetooth if you are looking for voltage, amperage, wattage, battery capacity, consumed amp hours and estimated time till battery is dead ....It is a simple install also.
I already have all those values from the BMS. All I need is to get the signal from the canopy of my camper and into the vehicle cab. So hence the ‘range extender’ or “retransmit’

Regards

I would venture to say there may be something wrong with either your transmitter or receiver. I have three different BT devices in my bus, one is a Victron the other two are BT transmitters that control Arduino boards. I get reception anywhere in the bus and for some distance, roughly 100 ft, on the outside. I get that on two different phones and a cheap tablet. Have you tried a different phone?

You should be able to extend the RS232 wires and put that black box closer to you. If you are going a long way a shielded cable might be needed. Route it away from other wires.

Research says if over 50 ft you will need good RS232 cable.

6 inches of range is not normal. I took a quick look at the thread you linked to and did not notice anyone else complaining about such short range on the Bluetooth (I might have missed it). It is possible your unit is defective. It is also possible something may be blocking/interfering with the signal. I am not familiar with this BMS. Is it possible to add an external Bluetooth antenna?

Not sure if this is the right thread or perhaps someone can direct me to another thread. I recently installed a Victron Energy 250/100 MPPT SCC as well as their Battery Sense Module. All Bluetooth and set up and viewing via Bluetooth on Victron Connect works flawlessly. PROBLEM: I have to be relatively close to both devices to get Bluetooth signal. I believe I need some kind of “Bluetooth Range Extender”. Will these devices work with VE products; seem designed for audio/video? If so, any suggested one? We have strong WiFi. I believe I can go the VE direct somehow, but seems expensive just to save me from getting out of my comfy chair! So, other suggestions for being able to view VE data, via Bluetooth on my iPhone using Victron Connect 100 feet away? Thanks

Hi Brains trust
I have a Bluetooth enabled BMS and want to use the Bluetooth to display battery etc in the cab but the range of the BMS Bluetooth is abysmal (about 6 inches) Does anyone know of a product that would receive the signals from the BMS and then re-transmit them. Google just gives me audio related products that do not really suit.
Thanks in Advance

If the range bad because of rf interence?

Re use of my words “relatively close”. I believe all VE devices are working properly re Bluetooth distances; believe designed for 10 metres - 33 feet. Outside I can connect at 33 feet; inside is about 22 feet. Even if I could get 50 feet inside, would be able to stay in my chair!

I have a Victron BMV700 with the Bluetooth dongle and its range is over 80 feet through walls in my house.

Hi Brains trust
Thanks in Advance
I setup raspberry pi for monitoring LV5048 and Bluetooth jkbms.
I get everything in one screen dashboard on anything that can open a browser anywhere in the house and outside.

Hi Dodger , I agree that the bluetooth on this device sucks. My range is about 6 - 8 m whereas the Victron devices extend to 20 - 30m. I have a tiny SensorPush temperature sensor the size of a match box in the fridge in the caravan and even that has a range of about 30m.

Yes, going to go with the VE Smart Dongle for the MPPT Unit. VE specs is 20 metres, so should work! I also have a VE BMV 712, yet to be installed. I believe the Bluetooth is in the head unit, which will be much closer to the comfy chair, so don’t believe I will have an issue with it, but we shall see!

Hi Dodger , I agree that the bluetooth on this device sucks. My range is about 6 - 8 m whereas the Victron devices extend to 20 - 30m. I have a tiny SensorPush temperature sensor the size of a match box in the fridge in the caravan and even that has a range of about 30m.
Hi Pierre. Yeah, just building 3 more battery packs using the same BMS and they are all the same Damn - was hoping it was a faulty unit.

regards

Hi Pierre. Yeah, just building 3 more battery packs using the same BMS and they are all the same Damn - was hoping it was a faulty unit.

regards
Hi Dodger , nice to hear from you. So this BMS is working for you - I love it :)

Hi Pierre
Yeah - loving it. If only I could get the Bluetooth to read through the canopy so I could use it in the cab. Ah well.
Stay Well mate.

Hi Pierre
Yeah - loving it. If only I could get the Bluetooth to read through the canopy so I could use it in the cab. Ah well.
Stay Well mate.
Hi Dodger
Just a thought -- can you not extend the 4 x wires on the BT to relocate it closer to you or look for a complete longer harness ? Seems like a relatively simple job to splice in 4 x wires and heatshrink the joints ?

Back