diy solar

diy solar

BMS low-temperature disconnect using Arduino and a relay?

Is it not easier to use an NO relay to disconnect PV from AIO? I could be missing details

personally i prefer knowing what code is running so i would use arduino, 1,000,000 ways to do it etc..

this microcontroller is 7.5 usd and works great for my ESS hacking
this thermometer is 5 usd and has 0.06 degree C resolution
this 5v step down regulator is 8 usd and can work with up to 50V input.

these are the parts i personally would recommend based on having used them in the past.

i do not like the fixed function thermostats because of lack of programmatic configuration and lack of ability to audit code. not bashing just stating my preference. i love customization to application

for context i just recently set up a dumb dc-dc converter with an independent hall effect current sensor on the input and output as well as input and output voltage monitoring to calculate real-time charge power and efficiency. it uses the microcontroller above and a tiny latching relay to control the remote on/off port of the dcdc converter. by writing the code my way i can ensure it functions in my preferred way :)

the two options for this situation that seem somewhat suitable in my view (which could be wrong) are cut PV input or communicate stop and start command over data bus.

it seems like you are familiar with arduino already so good luck!

Also thermocouples/thermostats sometimes have large dead bands. What’s good if it opens at 2c but doesn’t close until 10c. That’s a lot of dead temp space.

by the way this exists

1634656958099.png

it’s a 24usd microcontroller that has a built in CAN bus transceiver, which means it ought to be able to communicate with an AIO if programmed with some DIY code. it has usb-c to connect to computer if wanted.

there are members around the forum who are actively exploring these types of custom arduino type CAN bus communication translation, some reporting good results. for the most part, more complicated than just flipping a relay though.

adafruit has supplied me with good circuit boards and breakout boards in the past, and there are certainly other cheaper arduino style microcontroller with CAN bus from other sources

Stc-1000 is another one that is used for gazillion projects:

Back