diy solar

diy solar

BMS Selection - Chargery vs. Daly - 300A (for 280AH cells)

MrPhoton

I continue to delay my order of Eve 280AH until I can pick the right BMS.

I had thought Chargery was interesting - but the complaints seem tremendous. Daly seemed a cheap alternative - but I see too many complaints there too.

Can anyone recommend a 24V/300A and 48V/300A unit that they feel is trustworthy?

Thank you.

You can have a look at TAO BMS (www.taobms.com). Up to 48V with no current limit as you select external relays / solenoids that suit your need. Maybe not the same price range?

LMAO, ALL of these BMS' are compromise BMS' ! Unlike specific applications like an EV or a genuine tesla Powerwall, which all have very specifically programmed BMS' for the particular application. These BMS' are for general uses and so there are compromises for flexibility. As a result, not all are suitable nor 100% perfect. TinyBMS, REV, Orion as well as cheap $20 chinese BMS have their own quirks, foibles and issues.
You will NOT get "perfect" no matter what.

I am running 5 Chargery BMS8T-300's with 300A DCC's in a fixed battery bank (residential) and haven't any problems that are show stoppers.

In fact IF you actually read through the "Troubles Threads" you will also discover that at least 80% of the problems are User to BMS problems and surprisingly some are from people who think they know better than the engineers designers and those with real-word experience.

BTW, Chargery vs Daly, Night & Day difference, different "class" of BMS... Grapes to Apples. Also I'll add, that you could not pay me to use a FET BMS above 200A but that's my experiences coming through.

OOOPS my bad, I should also add, that Jason Wang @ Chargery has taken all of the input from us here along with our experiences & testing (some of us did a lot of that with many things) plus "needs" wants and several "would likes" and has designed a new BMS with Active Balancing, better UI and Communications interfaces. The hardware is done testing phases and is at production (chip shortages affecting that) and software is being coded now which then has to go through a few processes too. The "P" Series BMS' will become available soon but there are external factors to contend with.

Yet another victim of Covidus Interruptus... what a frappin mess...

I continue to delay my order of Eve 280AH until I can pick the right BMS.

I had thought Chargery was interesting - but the complaints seem tremendous. Daly seemed a cheap alternative - but I see too many complaints there too.

Can anyone recommend a 24V/300A and 48V/300A unit that they feel is trustworthy?

Thank you.
Have you looked into a ElectroDacus SBMS0?

You can have a look at TAO BMS (www.taobms.com). Up to 48V with no current limit as you select external relays / solenoids that suit your need. Maybe not the same price range?
I like some of the features of the TAO BMS .... but it is a LOT more than I want to spend for a BMS.

My Chargery BMS8T is working fine for what I want to do.

LMAO, ALL of these BMS' are compromise BMS' ! Unlike specific applications like an EV or a genuine tesla Powerwall, which all have very specifically programmed BMS' for the particular application. These BMS' are for general uses and so there are compromises for flexibility. As a result, not all are suitable nor 100% perfect. TinyBMS, REV, Orion as well as cheap $20 chinese BMS have their own quirks, foibles and issues.
You will NOT get "perfect" no matter what.

I am running 5 Chargery BMS8T-300's with 300A DCC's in a fixed battery bank (residential) and haven't any problems that are show stoppers.

In fact IF you actually read through the "Troubles Threads" you will also discover that at least 80% of the problems are User to BMS problems and surprisingly some are from people who think they know better than the engineers designers and those with real-word experience.

BTW, Chargery vs Daly, Night & Day difference, different "class" of BMS... Grapes to Apples. Also I'll add, that you could not pay me to use a FET BMS above 200A but that's my experiences coming through.
Appreciate the words of wisdom.

In perusing the manual for the Chargery 16T and 8T versions - a few questions come to mind which I wonder if you might your thoughts on:

- Did you elect to leverage External Power or Power Pack Panel for the DCC? Saw a youtube reference to Cell 1 issues if not external power? > If external - did you build a smaller 4S setup to run w/ a smaller BMS?

- Are you leverage single common DCC or separates for Charge/Discharge for your residential ESS application?

- Do you happen to know if the 16T can be used for a 2P8S ?
> I might temporarily leverage 24V system until my 48V all in one arrives - and was thinking about buying the 16T such than I change change from 2P8S config to 1P16S later when I flip inverters. Specs say 2S - 16S - so I assuming I can.

- With multiple hardware versions - do you have any thoughts on purchasing direct vs. via Amy?

Related note - Chargery manual readability and detail really brought a smile to my face. I saw an attribution to Steve S on the BMS16T (assuming that's you) - so thank you for that contribution. It certainly builds confidence in the product suite.

Yes, that's me.
- I use Common Port config see (slightly out of date, just completing final config.
https://diysolarforum.com/threads/my-diy-off-grid-cabin-setup-in-ontario-canada-24vdc-120vac.1484/
- All my BMS' are powered from the battery pack terminals, so externally powered with the Chargery switch & filter.
- I have an ISO Board with each DCC-300.
- The BMS16 can handle cells in parallel within a pack. NB, it is not advisable with non Matched & Batched cells.
Socket-1 is 2S-8S, Socket-2 is 9S-16S

Buy from Chargery or Amy ? They are both in the same city, so no "transit" issues and it's not that far apart apparently. I'm not sure if Amy stocks it but no real need I suppose. Up to you, I'd say.

Thanks All.. closing the loop here.

I went with Chargery BMS16T 600A version (in case go 2p8s or 1p16s in future) -- and a single DCC 300A for common port setup now (will upgrade to 600A later if go 2p8s). I just purchased via Jason's website directly (Paypal/DHL express). Just hobby/test setup for 1p8s EVE 280AH's.

Plan to power BMS from pack for now as opposed to external. Based on firmware release notes - it sounds as though the cell-1 drawdown issue was resolved.

I'm a little late to this thread.... I like the display in the Chargery, but it's voltage readings bounce around a good deal even when powered from an external 48v coaxial plug. But it is liveable. The chargery DCC sucks, I've blown up three of them thanks to their finicky ISO board and the softstart only works when you manually throw the power switch. My solution was to get a optoisolated SSR from ebay and connect it to the CHG and DISCHG outputs from chargery. Buy the Gigavac GV241FAX for 48v use and it's cheaper than the DCC and works much better.

“3-32V DC 1-Channel SSR Solid State Relay High-low Trigger 5A 5v 12v For Arduino”
Solid state relays are available on ebay which permit the chargery’s CHG and DISCHG connections to be combined into one relay and that relay can in turn switch the gigavac contactor on and off. It is recommended that a 10ohm 10watt resistor be placed across the contacts of the gigivac to permit capacitors in your inverters to be charged before switching the contactor on. Connect the chargery CHG output to DC+, DISCHG to CH1, ground to DC-. Connect A1 to 48v+, B1 to the gigavac coil red, and gigavac black wire to battery -.

Daly is good but hokey to start. You have to shunt pins 1 &3 on the interface to simulate the power switch that they never seem to include. I have one of these on my golf cart and it's working good enough.

I realy realy like the QUCC all in one unit but can't seem to stop it from sleeping after 18 hours on standby.

The BMS16 can handle cells in parallel within a pack. NB, it is not advisable with non Matched & Batched cells.
Socket-1 is 2S-8S, Socket-2 is 9S-16S
Wow, ... That is a brand new option for me consider on my 24v LiFePO4 battery bank. ... I had previously thought that the Chargery BMS16T would only handle 8 or 16 LiFePO4 cells in series. Wow to new layer of info. on options. :+) ... If anyone is using Socket-1 is 2S-8S, and Socket-2 is 9S-16S in a parallel for a 24v (8cell) + 24v (8cell) battery bank, ... I am all eyes and ears for feedback on how that option is working for you. :+)

Back