diy solar

diy solar

BMS Warning from Andy Off Grid Garage

Just seen it, so the latest JK BMS if turned off will after a couple of days lose the settings and revert to default settings. He confirms it affects all firmware versions based on tests he did last night. JK are now aware, Andy does not know if it firmware or hardware problem.

That’s great… Andys funny….

Last edited:
I saw Andy's Vid after I heard elsewhere as well... There was comment in the longer running JKBMS Inverter thread but got buried.
I've actually just stopped that part of my current order (ruckus stuckus frickus fruckus).

THIS IS REAL & SERIOUS... and it's a really dumb screw up no less, WTF were they thinking !

I saw Andy's Vid after I heard elsewhere as well... There was comment in the longer running JKBMS Inverter thread but got buried.
I've actually just stopped that part of my current order (ruckus stuckus frickus fruckus).

THIS IS REAL & SERIOUS... and it's a really dumb screw up no less, WTF were they thinking !
Yeah. It would suck turning your system on after a detailed config/effort and it destroys many AH if batteries…or worse.

It apparently loses programmed settings if it's turned off for a few days and reverts to a different voltage profile.
Correct. The upper voltage per cell cutoff threshold reverts to 4.2 volts as opposed to 3.65 volts. 4.2 volts will, at the very least, ruin LiFePO4 cells.

CLARITY ! on the FLAW !
The BMS once setup & configured, the settings will remain until the BMS is Powered OFF.
After being restarted, it restores the BMS FACTORY DEFAULTS which uses Liion Chemistry by default... *
That Default setting allows charging to 4.200 Volts per cells which is BAD for LFP !
IT IS NOT THE MASSIVE CRISIS SOME ARE CLUCKING UP ! The Batteries WILL NOT EXPLODE & destroy the neighbourhood !
They would swell, reach higher than normal temps and very likely Vent if that charge stays too long.
YES it can damage the cells within a pack and make them unuseable.

*Default Chemistry should be the one that cannot harm any of the supported chemistries and THAT is LFP as that profile is pretty much "within" the values for the other chemistries.

Is it Hardware or Firmware ?
Apparently some previous Firmware Versions saved the set Profile but not the most recent update.
If above is correct, it's not a hardware fault.
Their PC Software is also Buggy but improving, it actually does not save setting to BMS NVRAM, as shown by a few.
It also lacks saving "profiles" to disk and allowing a person to upload said profile to each BMS in a bank.. Derp for lacking that.

The BIGGEST POINT: Is their Quality Control & Assurance testing is obviously QUESTIONABLE.
Software issues through their history... Apps & BMS firmware (why have logs if they are not rolling and only take 50 Entries before locking.)
Hardware Issues with the switches & screens and more... Seriously, this is typical stuff to test/verify BEFORE letting anything out the door.

BTW: FIND A BMS that is always 100% perfect - Even the premium Battrium's and other Big Buck Commercial models also have quirks BUT most are not potentially fatal to the attached gear.

Why should JK wait to introduce a product when they have Andy and diysolarforum find every possible glitch for free???

Back