diy solar

diy solar

Bonding multiple Deye 12kW inverters in Off-Grid Mode

To be honest I'm running a VERY old version of the Firmware (unsure now ... I think I got it at the Beginning of 2023 but it's still running 2022 or even 2021).

BUT you know what they tell you ... You know the Devil you have, you don't know the Devil you get.

And then I don't know if I can downgrade ...
Running the latest and greatest, and it has improved mppt's , paralleling issues , time issues amongst others .
Consider updating !

Well pros and cons.

One Inverter less means also:
- MPPT number of Channels is reduced -> Less Solar Power/Energy Production (unless you have lots of MPPT Channels to spare so you can transfer them to the other Inverter)
- Less ability to cope with "High" Load Steps
Pros and cons is what life is :)
For Op to determine, just mentioning it :)

I’m curious as well. Nothing more than what Andy from OFF GRID GARAGE posted.

I guess it’s just a translator between JK BMS and Deye. If not it’s going to be a bit expensive game replacing 4 JK BMS with some that can talk to Deye… My battery banks are DIY and I’m really proud of them :)
I tried to approach him for some customizations, if he could make it open source etc. Said no.

This project is very interesting. I had to learn a lot, but it's all worth it. Approx 30 EUR for the M5Stack S3 Lite (ESP32-S3) + the Isolated CANbus base. Forget about the 200$ + that the Peter Board costs in a Parallel Configuration !

(although the multiple BMS Support is still a Work In Progress in this latter project - I am only currently controlling the most Problematic Battery Pack that I have)

Well pros and cons.

One Inverter less means also:
- MPPT number of Channels is reduced -> Less Solar Power/Energy Production (unless you have lots of MPPT Channels to spare so you can transfer them to the other Inverter)
- Less ability to cope with "High" Load Steps
High load steps were my starting point to make change.

My current inverters would trip and switch to bypass mode if any air conditioner would switch on.

High load steps were my starting point to make change.

My current inverters would trip and switch to bypass mode if any air conditioner would switch on.
One 12 is running my whole home heatpumps and mini split at the same time comfortably , remember, these inverters can handle a un balanced per phase output really well

Running the latest and greatest, and it has improved mppt's , paralleling issues , time issues amongst others .
Consider updating !
Can you please give me some more details about it ?

- Are you running Grid-Tied or Off-Grid ?
- What about "Improved MPPT" ? I'm pretty sure I saw lots of Power Fluctuation (cannot really tell if it's the Sun being behind the Clouds for a while or what). Also the Fans keep ramping up and down constantly above say 3-4 kW Solar. Maybe it's also Temperature Derating kicking in, causing the Power to Fluctuate ?
- What Paralleling Issues did you have exactly ?
- Time Issues ? You mean that across a year the clock slowly drifts approx. by 1h over the year ?
- Did it Fix this weird "Parallel" where the Master Inverter is almost providing Zero Power to the Load, whereas it's the Slaves that supply the Bulk of the Power ?

I tried to approach him for some customizations, if he could make it open source etc. Said no.

This project is very interesting. I had to learn a lot, but it's all worth it. Approx 30 EUR for the M5Stack S3 Lite (ESP32-S3) + the Isolated CANbus base. Forget about the 200$ + that the Peter Board costs in a Parallel Configuration !

(although the multiple BMS Support is still a Work In Progress in this latter project - I am only currently controlling the most Problematic Battery Pack that I have)
Well, I have swallowed that pill already and waiting delivery.

I thought of doing it myself but with all projects in motion there’s just not enough time.

Although, it would be a great learning curve for me.

One 12 is running my whole home heatpumps and mini split at the same time comfortably , remember, these inverters can handle a un balanced per phase output really well
Well for an Inverter type Heatpump, sure. I also see the same. Although the lights flicker when the Microwave is turned on or Finishes cooking :ROFLMAO: .

I don't think it can handle a "Normal" e.g. Asynchronous/Synchronous Motor without a Soft-Starter (those typically take 5-10 times the Nominal Current during Startup !).

Can you please give me some more details about it ?

- Are you running Grid-Tied or Off-Grid ?
- What about "Improved MPPT" ? I'm pretty sure I saw lots of Power Fluctuation (cannot really tell if it's the Sun being behind the Clouds for a while or what). Also the Fans keep ramping up and down constantly above say 3-4 kW Solar. Maybe it's also Temperature Derating kicking in, causing the Power to Fluctuate ?
Exactly this..
Faster ramping up and down, improved algorithm, and better fan control
- What Paralleling Issues did you have exactly ?
Hard to get the paralleling to become stable : fixed
- Time Issues ? You mean that across a year the clock slowly drifts approx. by 1h over the year ?
This
- Did it Fix this weird "Parallel" where the Master Inverter is almost providing Zero Power to the Load, whereas it's the Slaves that supply the Bulk of the Power ?
Fixed

One goes on line first and second will be paralleled when he gets his own solar array.

That will take some time as summer for me is extremely busy…

But summer for me is not a big deal, extra array is for winter.

Amazing. This really made my day :)

Are you using HA maybe to control inverters? Is that even possible or just you can view data?
I am mainly using to monitor data at the moment.

I forked the original Project, added a bunch of Off-Grid Sensors to it, and made it more modular.

The Apparent Power is not really working though, Deye's RS485 Register must be off ...

Not a huge Problem when I'll get the Eastron SDM630 ESPHome working with HA. For now I did the same exercise. Still untested though:

But you can also check the original Project, lots of Discussions in the Issues Section there (e.g. how to change Battery Mode "on the go"): https://github.com/klatremis/esphome-for-deye

I might implement the "Battery Mode" setting via HA mainly to use it during Updates (and possibly disable BMS_Err-Stop for the duration of the updates as well).

EDIT: This is how I did in HA. Very Basic for now. And used a few Helpers to build a Summary. This is NOT accurate however, when polling data every 15 seconds, if the Data is NOT synchronized (between the different Inverters)
1713645088721.png

1713645109561.png

Last edited:
Well for an Inverter type Heatpump, sure. I also see the same. Although the lights flicker when the Microwave is turned on or Finishes cooking :ROFLMAO: .

I don't think it can handle a "Normal" e.g. Asynchronous/Synchronous Motor without a Soft-Starter (those typically take 5-10 times the Nominal Current during Startup !).
It is a non inverter heatpump..
And yes it will dim the leds on a single inverter when compressors starts, but this thing pulls quite a few amps
The mini split is inverter based

Exactly this..
Faster ramping up and down, improved algorithm, and better fan control

Hard to get the paralleling to become stable : fixed

This

Fixed
Sorry if the question is stupid but how do you Upgrade ? And where do you get the Firmware ? What are you currently running Exactly ?

Sorry if the question is stupid but how do you Upgrade ? And where do you get the Firmware ? What are you currently running Exactly ?
Above firmware, for deye you request it by sending an update request to their support desk email , include your serial and dongle serial in that email.
Please be aware that an upgrade will include an inverter cold start ( will interrupt invertering)
As I am running the sunsynk version of them, my upgrade process is a bit different

Above firmware, for deye you request it by sending an update request to their support desk email , include your serial and dongle serial in that email.
Please be aware that an upgrade will include an inverter cold start ( will interrupt invertering)
As I am running the sunsynk version of them, my upgrade process is a bit different
Uhm ... I am not using the Wifi Dongle.

I am pretty sure I saw somewhere some screenshots where you use a Windows :)rolleyes: - I am only using GNU/Linux nowadays) PC to connect and upload the Firmware though.

But really, every Person has to send them a Request in order to Update ?

Uhm ... I am not using the Wifi Dongle.

I am pretty sure I saw somewhere some screenshots where you use a Windows :)rolleyes: - I am only using GNU/Linux nowadays) PC to connect and upload the Firmware though.
You can request an off-grid/offline upgrade, yet I am not sure how that would work, as I have dongles connected, yet vlanned off internet untill I allowed it explicitly to connect
Use a combination of Android/Linux and windows, depends on what is within reach of where I am sitting ;)
But really, every Person has to send them a Request in order to Update ?
Yes , unfortunately

You can request an off-grid/offline upgrade, yet I am not sure how that would work, as I have dongles connected, yet vlanned off internet untill I allowed it explicitly to connect
Use a combination of Android/Linux and windows, depends on what is within reach of where I am sitting ;)

Yes , unfortunately
So 1150 main , c042 for lcd, you said.

And it's a Deye SUN-12K-SG04LP3-EU you are running, correct ?

I am still worried about that Spark that I heard yesterday during the F18 event: https://diysolarforum.com/threads/b...inverters-in-off-grid-mode.70969/post-1071155

Just figured that I have solar assistant running and it works with Deye .

MQTT will transfer everything so all data will flow as usual. 🤦

Attachments

• IMG_20240420_230200.jpg
    IMG_20240420_230200.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 4
Back