diy solar

diy solar

boost duration ?

igorrius

Hello !
please tell me what value boost duration should be set for battery efb?
The manufacturer recommends maintaining 14.4 volts for 10 hours for a full charge.
But if you set it for 10 hours, the floating charge will never occur and you probably charge the battery every day for 10 hours. 14.4 volts is bad for the battery?

boost duration should be set for battery efb?
The manufacturer recommends maintaining 14.4 volts for 10 hours
10 hours for a sealed flooded lead acid battery seems excessive. EFB batteries are designed as an alternative to AGM for stop/start auto use engine starter battery, and are suitable to operate at less than full charge.

In your application I would experiment with boost duration, whilst the battery is in boost stage, constant voltage at 14.4, monitor current into the battery, if it falls below 1 amp per 100Ah of battery capacity, consider the battery is charged.

The default boost duration in your charger is perhaps 2 hours, use that to start with.

10 hours for a sealed flooded lead acid battery seems excessive. EFB batteries are designed as an alternative to AGM for stop/start auto use engine starter battery, and are suitable to operate at less than full charge.

In your application I would experiment with boost duration, whilst the battery is in boost stage, constant voltage at 14.4, monitor current into the battery, if it falls below 1 amp per 100Ah of battery capacity, consider the battery is charged.

The default boost duration in your charger is perhaps 2 hours, use that to start with.
The manufacturer recommends charging with a voltage of 14.4
and on the Internet they recommend voltage 14-6-14-8
what value should I set?
what value to choose: boost reconnect ?

value should I set?
Any value between 14.4 and 14.8. These batteries are very tollerent to charge voltages, in start/stop applications charge voltages of 15.5 can occur. Since you have a solar charging system, charging every day, perhaps the lower value 14.4 would be a safe value.

Boost reconnect slightly lower than Float, example if float is 13.8 , set boost reconnect to 13.4.
If the system is in float mode and system load 'pulls down' the battery volts, when it falls below boost reconnect, charging to boost volts occurs.

I would stick with the manufacturer 14.40 volts.

Full charge is generally amps down to 1/2% of capacity. For a 300 Ah battery would be full when voltage is held at the 14.4 and current tapers to 1.5 amps.

te 077 bosch

Not helpful. If you have a link to a product, you should include it.

I would stick with the manufacturer 14.40 volts.

Full charge is generally amps down to 1/2% of capacity. For a 300 Ah battery would be full when voltage is held at the 14.4 and current tapers to 1.5 amps.

This is manufacturer specific, and sadly only the top brands specify it.

Trojan is 1-3% and Rolls is 2-3%. I use 2% as a general rule. Chasing down to 1/2% may actually require 10 hours and even 2% may require 4-6 hours.

A handful of the Voltronics units detail their absorption cycle (similar to AIMS/Sigineer units) where T1 is essentially your bulk phase time and T2 = 10X T1, min 1 hour, max 12 or some similar criteria. I think there's some tail current in there, but it's never been published.

When given a choice, I choose minimum absorption and max float, e.g., if 14.4-14.8V absorption and 13.6-13.8V float, I pick 14.4/13.8V, respectively. 2% tail current. "Boost duration" should be set based on how long it takes to get down to the desired tail current.

Back