diy solar

diy solar

Bought some Used Equipment - First Solar Purchase (Solar Newbie)

kralac

I bought some used solar equipment yesterday and I hope I didn't make a huge mistake. But I think I got a pretty decent deal. Let me know what you think,

This is my first solar equipment I have ever owned.

I got

2 used Schneider Conext XW Pro ( I believe they were manufactured in 2019/2020
1 used Schneider Conext XW PDP
2 used Schneider Conext Conduit Box
1 used Schneider Conext 80 600 Charge Controller
1 used Schneider Conext SCP
1 used Schneider Conext Gateway
4 used 190w panels that will need new connections

They were definitely dirty and will need to be cleaned up. I'll post some pictures later when I get a chance.

How did I do? I got all of this for $2500 and a small trade. Anything I need to be checking on these units?

Got to open up some of this today. The boards look good. One was a bit dusty. The chassis ground on one of the inverters is bent and I hope that doesn't cause any problems.

Horrible deal, I’ll come take it off your hands

Man, I’d say if everything functions properly you got a steal of a deal. Each xw pro retails for around $3100
The PDP and conduit box is around a grand new
And I believe the charge controller is over 650 new as well

It’s also some of the most robust equipment in the industry

The only problem you now have is getting more solar panels. 790W total is woefully inadequate for a system of that size. I'd suggest with that charge controller, about 4800W (6X) of panels is a better choice. Wired in parallel, those two inverters can support a 1 minute surge of 24,000W. You'll need a battery sized appropriately for that, and then of course you'll need an appropriately larger sized solar array to support it.

With only a single XW+, I started out with 4500W, but subsequently added thousands of watts more.

Horrible deal, I’ll come take it off your hands

Man, I’d say if everything functions properly you got a steal of a deal. Each xw pro retails for around $3100
The PDP and conduit box is around a grand new
And I believe the charge controller is over 650 new as well

It’s also some of the most robust equipment in the industry
Hahaha. I think I'll keep it. I kept seeing how good and robust these systems were so that made me felt a little better going used.

The only problem you now have is getting more solar panels. 790W total is woefully inadequate for a system of that size. I'd suggest with that charge controller, about 4800W (6X) of panels is a better choice. Wired in parallel, those two inverters can support a 1 minute surge of 24,000W. You'll need a battery sized appropriately for that, and then of course you'll need an appropriately larger sized solar array to support it.

With only a single XW+, I started out with 4500W, but subsequently added thousands of watts more.
I might start off only hooking up just 1 system depending on how many batteries I can come up with. I'm thinking with some more panels like you suggest and a battery I should at least be able to start offsetting some of what we are using from the grid. Is the surge/battery support an issue if you are still grid connected?

Would 2x EG4 LL-S 48v 100ah be ok as a start? I might be able to get 3 of them to start but still trying to put together everything.

It would be good to pause and put together your entire system plan before you continue buying.
Good idea. I am wanting to do it in phases because I won't be able to afford it all at one time. Just wanting to start getting some of our electricity bill lowered and having backup for some critical loads in case we lose grid power during storms etc.

Back