diy solar

diy solar

Building the sickest ® VAWT ever. Brilliant minds unite please!!

small steps I take, small steps.

But yet witness a biblical prophesy come true that one day the magnet will inherit the earth. ;)

View attachment 137596

the reason this test, and the eventual full scale magnet holder disk is 30mm high is because then it is strong, Only bendable by tiny amounts so I am confident I can through a lot at it.

But even better yet is this.

View attachment 137597

So that we get to fill it with iron powder to boost the magnetic field ;)

'For the new readers amongst us. I am not only about small scale.
View attachment 137598
It just takes a lot of trail and error in this prototyping stage to get things where I need them to be.

Give it some time and then I will bring show time with small scale spinning results. And then we can extrapolate.

Aii!!
wow! massive! nice.

i am still following this thread :)

lately i started 3d printing a little bit for small items, only PLA so far.

wishing continued good fortune to this Radical project :)

@Warpspeed
this time I am not just looking for attention.

So here is the issue.

This Lezs's law you refereed to in reaction to a post I made of a video explaining the relation betwe........ blahhh blahh blahh......;.;

This law does not have a frequency component.

However, I have someone on another channel suggesting that frequency is important.

I fail to see how because I do not know of formulas that have a frequency component (in this context of course)

Is there anyone that can liven this debate up a bit?

A CALL FOR ARMS!!!!!!!!

Please all invite anyone you know that is able to design an MPPT controller for both wind and solar.

We can even reverse engineer the ones already out there in the wild if they are not open source

The goal is to have an open source MPPT controller that one can just use for most any situation.

My recent purchase of 8 solar panels that I can't use is of course a factor in this cry for unity.

But then let's imagine that this turbine is going to kick ass. That will also need a controller would not it?

Anyway I am putting my money where my mouth is.

I can offer E5k if we get this open source MPPT show on the road.

I will try and invite some youtubers that designed one and see how far that will get us.

I realize that I am getting a bit weird right now. But it has to be done otherwise risk stagnation of the solar field.

I mean just look at this thread. How pathetic is it that there is not an open source solution that can deal with any and all scenarios?

Consider these older Sunny Boys (Also Midnight Classic)

Page 65:

"The inverter feeds into the power distribution grid in either "MPP", "Constant Voltage", or "Turbine" mode. "MPP" mode: The Sunny Boy adjusts the voltage and the current from the PV array in order to receive the highest possible PV output power. "Constant Voltage" mode: The array voltage is set to a fixed value. This value is set using the Sunny Boy Control or the Sunny Data Software. The parameter name is "V-Const": This mode is suitable for using the inverter with fuel cells or small hydroelectric power plants. "Turbine" mode: This mode is suitable for using the inverter with a rectified DC generator and dynamic power characteristic curve. The inverter can be adjusted to the form and slope of the power characteristic curve of a specific generator. A small wind turbine system is a suitable generator for this."

The difference is just what voltage/current algorithm is used on the input.

Even within PV MPPT, there are differences between brands. Whether they get stuck at local maxima or make excursions to find higher peaks. How they respond to variations.

yes great, consider them to reverse engineer to become open source? or are they already open source?

Also, reverse engineering? is that even legal? if not I do not want to proceed. I do not respect china's IP theft actions

Even within PV MPPT, there are differences between brands. Whether they get stuck at local maxima or make excursions to find higher peaks. How they respond to variations.
yes indeed, and that is just bullocks in my books. I mean let's take victron for example. They have like a 1000 different products that all do the same thing except for 1/1000 of a difference.

This should be illegal!!

Can we as a comunity do better? I can pay for some of the en-devour.

So what is everyone's opinion about this guy?
great scott
A youtuber that seems to know alot about electronics and also did an mppt video.

If no one objects then I am considering asking him to fly in and save the day/world

or of course does anyone know about some professional service I can make use of.

Stop right there, I know what you are thinking. Let's not suggest the over priced ones ;)

Consider these older Sunny Boys (Also Midnight Classic)

Page 65:

"The inverter feeds into the power distribution grid in either "MPP", "Constant Voltage", or "Turbine" mode. "MPP" mode: The Sunny Boy adjusts the voltage and the current from the PV array in order to receive the highest possible PV output power. "Constant Voltage" mode: The array voltage is set to a fixed value. This value is set using the Sunny Boy Control or the Sunny Data Software. The parameter name is "V-Const": This mode is suitable for using the inverter with fuel cells or small hydroelectric power plants. "Turbine" mode: This mode is suitable for using the inverter with a rectified DC generator and dynamic power characteristic curve. The inverter can be adjusted to the form and slope of the power characteristic curve of a specific generator. A small wind turbine system is a suitable generator for this."

Would you consider buying a few of those controllers and opening them up and reverse engineering them and them make it open source as an infringement?

A very decent example of a solar/wind/load control unit is the Morningstar TS-MPPT-45 (45A) or -60 (60A). Fully configurable and built to last.

So my dearest of gals and gents,

Look this

1678807372675.png

It will serve as a test basis / prototype to see what coil wind scheme yields what results.

It's going to be..

wait for it.

Interesting ;)

I see the OSB contagion has spread to the Netherlands as well.

Your design has angle blocks to prevent the structure from becoming a parallelogram, but the blocks are restrained by only bend strength of the OSB sheet.
You'll get away with it for now, before you catch much wind, but I think structure could be more, well, "structural".

I still say guy wires are cheap and effective, if unsightly.
(Good, pretty, and cheap, pick two out of three)

I see the OSB contagion has spread to the Netherlands as well.

Your design has angle blocks to prevent the structure from becoming a parallelogram, but the blocks are restrained by only bend strength of the OSB sheet.
You'll get away with it for now, before you catch much wind, but I think structure could be more, well, "structural".

I still say guy wires are cheap and effective, if unsightly.
(Good, pretty, and cheap, pick two out of three)
thank you brother!! this is why I find value in rambling into the void. Which more ofthen than not turns out not to be a void at all.

So yes I agree with your critical deconstruction of this early setup. Fear not though brother as is is just that, an early test setup.

I am already thinking of ways how to get @Warpspeed 25% rule into play here.

And I have told you before my dearest of brothers, guy wires are not applicable yet. Perhaps later down the line. I will show you what I mean in a DM.

I am both happy to have some results and also I am not happy
1678810749131.png
on the left meter we can see the voltage for the difficult to wind coil. And on the right the results for the easy to wind coil.

If one wants to know what coil is wound which way please backtrack into this thread. I know it is hard to do but please bear with me.

One thing I find interesting that even the most brilliant of minds on another forum could not see this coming. So I will tell my daughter and all of us here the following.
If you want to make sure, go and test it yourself.

That ain't fair. Pictures, or it didn't happen!
OK Gary,

I will go into an uncomfertable zone then in where I have to admit I need to do more maintenance on the facade.

1678811734473.png

The point is that the intended placement of the turbine will be well above this weather station. So guy wires are going to be a huge challenge.

ohh yes of course, I keep at it because we need a turbine to spin after the bombs have fallen. Then we do not care about optimum efficiency. We care about trickle charge.

on the left meter we can see the voltage for the difficult to wind coil. And on the right the results for the easy to wind coil.

If one wants to know what coil is wound which way please backtrack into this thread. I know it is hard to do but please bear with me.

Oh :(
I thought that was voltage and current.
Guess I should have paid attention to the bleeping knob position.

The point is that the intended placement of the turbine will be well above this weather station. So guy wires are going to be a huge challenge.

So what's the problem?
Turbine footing near the weather station, guy wires to several building corners. Or to the ground, and call it lightning protection.

I mean the amount of things to do better is limitless. I do not understand why I keep at it!

Perfection is the enemy of good enough?

But I see a lot of air space on that plastic bobbin. Think you could have many more turns (voltage), or thicker wire (alternatively multiple in parallel) for lower resistance.

Huge air gap to magnets. I still believe in cores, with only the tiniest air gap to allow motion. In the limit, an air bearing?

ohh yes of course, I keep at it because we need a turbine to spin after the bombs have fallen. Then we do not care about optimum efficiency. We care about trickle charge.

Yah but ...
Can it withstand 6 psi overpressure?
(hint - build everything from 10,000 psi steel reinforced concrete to withstand anything less than a direct hit, which would strip all electrons rendering it plasma with "psi" being meaningless.)

For a less than full test, may I suggest a fuel-air bomb?

Back