diy solar

diy solar

Building the sickest ® VAWT ever. Brilliant minds unite please!!

I will not start a dispute here.

But I will will state that there is no solid source yet from which numbers can be taken. At least not as stated so from another one of us.

All I am saying is that the whole ominicaluclator seems broken.

Is it not?

we are far past the points of generals indications like that
no. I am gearing towards actual data after what seems to been a life time.

Sure it is in practice about 2 years but that should give me some kind of authority or what ever one would call it.
Knowing full well that I certainly do not deserve authority

There's nothing random or unfounded about what I said. I used the same wind power formula mentioned by Upnorthandpersonal. I made an assumption about the the efficiency, around 28%, and did the calculation. I'm lazy and didn't retype it here. You want to do it yourself, then go nuts.

to all my dear readers.

I am just so tremendously looking forward to being able to demonstrate just how much we can get out of the current drag type direct drive setup.

I found not a single source and/or person that was able to come up with physics formulas that could help predict.
It's like I said earlier, this omnicalculator is totally ambiguous, especially when it comes to VAWTs.

But that is fine gang! Never fear. We will just go and see for our selfs. Give it a month or 2 and then finally we have not only the turbine spinning but also the alternator rocking 48+VAC. About the amount of watts it can deliver We will just have to see.

And as @OzSolar did suggest correctly. Only a years worth of spinning data makes a turbine ;)

Last edited:
Are you saying the power of wind equation doesn't do what you want? Post 5 seems pretty straightforward.

All I am saying that I have no real world data that tells me that I know more/better than the scientific body has already established.

I am merely stating that with this omnicaluclator
which we here on this thread have know about for quite a while.
I see no options that I can dail to fine tune, or go crazy with as you quite frankly well put it with.

Honestly I just tried again a few minutes before your response.. I even went so far as to change the TSR to 1. Which would be applicable in a pure drag type scenario as far as I understood things.
This calculator is just not meant for this scenario is all I am alluding to. Maybe I am right maybe I am not.
If you know more on how to operate this calculator and get more meaningfull data out of it then I will be the first to bow down at your feat addmitting that I have missed something (yet again)

until such time I stand by what it is I really think is important for this thread.
Namely that we should all focus on how to get this turbine to actually spin for a year in an efficient manner so that we can all marvel at the annual results.
Yes please . PLEASE!!! i am open for input.!!
I must however also function as a filter of sorts for random in flying particles that might or might not be relevant.

Respect!

I just did a quick reread regarding post#5

I found nothing that makes me change my mind for now. What is it that should have led to me seeing that I am on a lost course?

So unless I missed something important (yet again) then please let's keep our eyes forward.

The tip speed ratio is likely more than 1 for almost any turbine, vertical or otherwise. It is simply the ratio of the turbine speed to the wind speed. For example, if the tip speed is 60 km/hr, and the wind speed is 20 km/hr, the TSR is 60/20 = 3. And the higher the TSR, the greater the centrifugal force trying to sling your machine apart.

so this is why I'd like to focus on low RPM for the time being. if at any stage we learn that low RMP is no good for power then I will advance to the next stage.

meaning I will then start casting aluminum parts to have a lift type setup spinning. That will mean all components need to be much more sturdy,

I still can do it, no worries, just not something I am looking forward to.

Larger diameter gives same velocity with lower centrifugal force.

More mass and expense, though.

Low-head hydro plants have massive turbines turning slowly. High-head have Pelton wheel turning fast, fed by a nozzle.
People try to get similar boost for wind, but turbulence keeps it from working.
Air tools and turbos accomplish it with much higher pressures, and expansion of compressed air.

Larger diameter gives same velocity with lower centrifugal force.

More mass and expense, though.

Low-head hydro plants have massive turbines turning slowly. High-head have Pelton wheel turning fast, fed by a nozzle.
People try to get similar boost for wind, but turbulence keeps it from working.
Air tools and turbos accomplish it with much higher pressures, and expansion of compressed air.
thank you brother for your continued support

Just wanted to let you guys know that I have not abandoned this project.

On the contrary. I am working towards the most optimum (dare I say sick (r)) alternator.

But things are slow as I have real world issues going on.

But !!! fear not. I am going to do this. It has to be done.

hahah we are looking at an alternator with 1.2m diameter and 48 coils that are 32mm thick.

It's syco and has not been done before but that also means I need more time to get it done.

hahah I am not going to let anyone down..

this is going to be.. wait for..........

I am really serious.

now this 1100 wind of coil is not going to be used.

but my coil winder was tested and deemed useful.

btw. I am aiming for an 1100 wind (2200 turn) coil

1687550649713.png

btw, when I said 1.2m diameter. I meant internal. External it will be at least 60mm more.

also 48 coils is still true. but per phase. having 3 phases.

magnet count? I would like to remind one of this old saying we all grew up with.

Why have 96 poles if one can have 192 for double the cost? Well this time the poles will stay 96 but then with 2 layers. so 192 magnets in total.

Dont worry guys. It's going to actually be sick.

Back