diy solar

diy solar

Cac you connect smart shunt and lug directly to lynx distribution?

chaostactics

Im putting in a smart shunt between the battery and lynx and also want to put a ground between the smart shunt and the lynx. Similar to the diagram.

Two issues.
1. The bolt on the smart shunt is too big to go though the bus bar tab on the lynx which means I'd have to bore out the hole on the lynx bus just slightly.
2. The bolt on the smart shunt would be too short to adequately secure the shunt and a lug from a grounding cable.

So can I safely just slightly bore out the bus bar tab and is there any reason I can't just buy a longer terminal bolt to allow me to stack a lug from a grounding cable along with the smart shunt to connect both to the tab on the lynx distributor?

20230203_152317.jpg20230203_152140.jpg

This adapter is what you need.

If you get an adapter bus bar, you'll likely end up with the connection at a different height, which will require you to raise one of the devices up. It isn't easy to tell from your picture if the two devices are at a good level already or not.

The existing bus bar tab covers the entire contact surface of the shunt, so I would probably drill out the bus bar tab and go with a longer bolt, just to keep it simple.

You could also use an M10/M8 reducer sleeve and an M8 bolt. Official word from Victron is that it would have no ill effect on the SmartShunt's ability to read the current in/out. (The bolt only holds the connected items securely; it does not pass significant current itself.)

I went with my own link bars (8mm x 25mm plated) because bolting directly to the lynx raised the lynx about 0.25" above the base of the shunt. (I used a BlueSea 3000 HD disconnect instead of the 6006 and its bolts are 12mm (1/2") not 10mm (3/8") and buying the bar from Amazon was cheaper than getting two of the pre-made ones mentioned in a previous post.)

Back