diy solar

diy solar

Can an Off Grid Solar Inverter be powered by batteries in the PV input?

Yuri.

Without going into much details what I'm thinking about doing to avoid unnecessary details I'm looking to find out if this would work
1) There will be no solar power at all.
2) Instead of the inverter being powered by the solar panels I would power it using a 200V battery setup, wiring it to the PV input.
3) The inverter doesn't have to charge the battery at all, this would be done by other means.
4) The only function of the solar inverter would to work purely as a DC-AC inverter, nothing more. I need one for such a high voltage setup and nothing in the market at comparable cost appears to exist. And I don't want to use a step-down dc-dc to use regular inverters, this would add cost and inefficiency.

Would this work? I'm interested in getting a 5.5kW inverter and they seem to accept this voltage range just fine, most I found say this about MPPT input voltage
1663625117010.png

So 200v should work fine.
I'm also making sure the specific model can be powered with no batteries (some offgrid models require power from the battery bank they are supposed to have).
Anything I'm missing out here or it would just simply work fine?

Are you trying to hook this up to a hybrid or ev battery? That's not allowed sir.

Are you trying to hook this up to a hybrid or ev battery? That's not allowed sir.
No, it would be hooked up to a custom battery on an Orion 2 BMS. I know in regular EVs it wouldn't work because of all the closed protocols they use to allow power to be drawn. No motors attached to it, just the inverter.

The short answer to your question is "Yes". It should work"ish" with most MPPT controllers.

The long answer is it will work until it doesn't. They aren't made for this and depending on how its particular up down and all around MPPT algorithm is written, it might get wonky. It might work perfectly with one model, and some other brand, nope. Who knows.

What unit are you using, you say it has an MPPT but also an inverter, so I’m guessing it’s an all in one unit?

What would you have connected for the battery input, some all in one units need something connected to the battery.

What unit are you using, you say it has an MPPT but also an inverter, so I’m guessing it’s an all in one unit?

What would you have connected for the battery input, some all in one units need something connected to the battery.
I'm just planning for now. And yes, all in one unit. And I'm aware some require battery power to power on, but some clearly states it's not necessary, so I would pick one of those.

Maybe use a PWM model if they have one since the whole MPPT thing won't help anything anyway.
I don't really know what your doing.

Maybe use a PWM model if they have one since the whole MPPT thing won't help anything anyway.
I don't really know what your doing.
I wasnt aware of those but it appears all the 5kW PWM ones have a maximum pv voltage of 105vdc.

DC power is dc power, why the inverter would care if comes from the panels or from a battery? I'll try my luck eventually, this is a far fetched project I'm planning for... Hopefully some day...
Because solar panels are current limited and batteries can give up all their energy in an instant.
Please report back afterword.

Because solar panels are current limited and batteries can give up all their energy in an instant.
Please report back afterword.
They both just make the power available. A load must be connected to draw the power. (Or a dead short)

Back