diy solar

diy solar

Can I get away with 95-100% DOD?

[/QUOTE] The aviation industry likes gel lead acids, they don't leak and are not destroyed in sub freezing temps like lifepoos.
[/QUOTE]

That part is definitely true. Mine have been charged down to 18 F (-8C) without issue.

I will likely buy the same batteries when I upgrade. Watching the industry and Will's comments very closely, this seems like a bad time to drop several grand on LIP, at least for my application. I think LIP will drop drastically in price over the next couple years as new chemistries become available. There's no reason for them to cost what they do, except that people will pay it. Look at how much they cost just a couple years ago.

I’ve seen this type of thread many times and maybe was a contributor to this problem. Good information sent but no one actually simply directly answering the original question. They are emergency use battery’s, No attempt to max cycles is being made. He needs to do the math and spend as little as he can but get the watts he planned for a few cycles during a power outage. Let’s say he wants 2.4kW. If he gets a 200 amp 12 v battery and in an emergency disconnects the BMS and runs it 100% DOD he gets 2.4kW. Can he do this and still have a battery with some use after? I think yes, gel or flooded. Others may say no he needs 3kW batteries run down 80% or the battery will be fried. With a simple answer he would know how much to spend on batteries for emergency back up use only which was the question.

Last edited:
Its all at least tangentially related to the original question. It's a conversation.

I will likely buy the same batteries when I upgrade. Watching the industry and Will's comments very closely, this seems like a bad time to drop several grand on LIP, at least for my application. I think LIP will drop drastically in price over the next couple years as new chemistries become available. There's no reason for them to cost what they do, except that people will pay it. Look at how much they cost just a couple years ago.
Well, because I'm not a monetarily wealthy man, and because I refuse to succumb to excessive sdebt that is above and beyond the immense and growing nationalized debt that a government gone wild heaps upon the heads of a common core made clueless proletariat majority, I buy my battery capacity a few amps at a time and my solar capacity a few watts at a time. I have discovered that on it's worse day, the performance of my lifepoo's are so above and beyond great gramps's lead acid technology, that it's well worth buying and keeping my lifepoos in an insulated box, in my root cellar, below the frost line. PS: My last twenty Amps of lifepoo cost me $120.00 including the built in BMS. And per our discussion, 20 amps of Lifepo are the same as 40 to 60 amps of grampa's lead acids AND the usable lifespain charge cycles of the lifepo's is calculated to be far greater than grampy's battery. Happy 2020!

Well, because I'm not a monetarily wealthy man, and because I refuse to succumb to excessive sdebt that is above and beyond the immense and growing nationalized debt that a government gone wild heaps upon the heads of a common core made clueless proletariat majority, I buy my battery capacity a few amps at a time and my solar capacity a few watts at a time. I have discovered that on it's worse day, the performance of my lifepoo's are so above and beyond great gramps's lead acid technology, that it's well worth buying and keeping my lifepoos in an insulated box, in my root cellar, below the frost line. PS: My last twenty Amps of lifepoo cost me $120.00 including the built in BMS. And per our discussion, 20 amps of Lifepo are the same as 40 to 60 amps of grampa's lead acids AND the usable lifespain charge cycles of the lifepo's is calculated to be far greater than grampy's battery. Happy 2020!

Sounds like they are perfect for your application.

Sounds like they are perfect for your application.
Yes, with that being said Lost, I operate another active solar system on property, in that case, the batteries are kept in an unheated shed that can see twenty below zero F, so, in that application I run 200 amps, (yielding at Best 60 to 70 amps) of Trojan flooded lead acids and have been doing so there for three years 24/7/365 without incident. ☮

Its all at least tangentially related to the original question. It's a conversation.
True but he had to keep trying to redirect the answers back to the simple question. I learn a ton from these conversations but have to admit they sometimes never quite directly answer the question or if they do you need to pull one nugget from nine replies. What if the first reply said, yes you can in a pinch pull 100% from a battery as you are willing to give up battery life. Don’t even consider doing this with lifepo4s with no BMS or battery low voltage cut off but a lead acid would survive it if it was a rare event. Simple ,clean, answered. Then the thread could get into max cycles, built in BMSs, temp effects etc.

Back