diy solar

diy solar

Can my new Grid-Tie Sunsynk battery system be used Off-Grid?

AndrewClark55

I am getting my first Solar system installed Monday.

It comprises a Sunsynk Hybrid bi-directional inverter and Synsynk 5.12kWh battery driven by 11 x JA Solar 385W panels on my roof.

I read quite a lot about these inverters before choosing this system as they seem quite flexible. I also watched CEO Keith Gough's very informative videos on YouTube.

Apart from saving the planet my main motivation now is reducing import at the scary unit prices, even at the new (UK) capped rate of 34p per unit
A secondary reason is that during Storm Arwen in November last year some places in Scotland had outtages of up to 10 days, so I want to have some crucial systems kept running from the battery, for as long as possible.

The issue is that my supplier is intimating that I cannot set it up this for operation during a grid outtage. I can't see why, if I

Use my 2-pole isolator to completely off-grid the system
Get a new split consumer unit to separate critical loads
Use my generator or UPS to energise the system
Then set it up to draw from the battery.

Can someone edicate this newby about what is possible or not, please?

Regards
Andrew

Check out thebackshed and fieldline forums. People there are creating mini grids for their GTI's.

It comprises a Sunsynk Hybrid bi-directional inverter and Synsynk 5.12kWh battery driven by 11 x JA Solar 385W panels on my roof.

I read quite a lot about these inverters before choosing this system as they seem quite flexible. I also watched CEO Keith Gough's very informative videos on YouTube.

Apart from saving the planet my main motivation now is reducing import at the scary unit prices, even at the new (UK) capped rate of 34p per unit
A secondary reason is that during Storm Arwen in November last year some places in Scotland had outtages of up to 10 days, so I want to have some crucial systems kept running from the battery, for as long as possible.

The issue is that my supplier is intimating that I cannot set it up this for operation during a grid outtage. I can't see why, if I

Regards
Andrew
yes.
sunsynk( they are the same a sol-ark which is more common here on the forum) is a full hybrid.
all loads connected to the load port can run offgrid of your batteries.
you may need to check your installation for a ground-neutral bound when off grid)

Regards
Andrew

Sunsynk inverters are really Deye. There are real hybrid inverters.
They have an AC_in and an AC_out port.
Everything you connect to the AC_out port gets UPS power.
The transfer time is 4ms. So not even your PC or TV will recognize the blackout or brownout.

Generator can be connected to the Smart AC port too.

So you do not need a Transfer switch ... only need to use the AC_out port from the inverter.
If inverter is big enough you can put the whole house behind it.

yes.
sunsynk( they are the same a sol-ark which is more common here on the forum) is a full hybrid.
all loads connected to the load port can run offgrid of your batteries.
you may need to check your installation for a ground-neutral bound when off grid)
Thanks all for the input(s) everyone :)

@houseofancients
>you may need to check your installation for a ground-neutral bound
Could you just clarify what is meant by that, please? Do the old system and new additions need the earth wires to be connected together?
TIA Andrew.

Last edited:
Back