diy solar

diy solar

Can Solar & Wind Fix Everything (e.g., Climate Change) with a battery break-through?

you propose 200 days of just batteries
I did not propose that, I offered up a sufficiently large number as a "thought experiment". I was quite clear about that.

The question is "if there was a battery breakthrough, could that fix the problem?" If you could store 200 days worth of electricity in a battery, that would be most certainly a fix, so it is at least theoretically possible as we do not know the future technology yet.

You suggested that 200 days was insane, so I (repeatedly) asked, how much you would need?

Every time, including now, you have tried to change the subject, it is so childish...

I'm not thinking much of the Michaux video honestly so far. I understand he had trouble finding some data, but other sources are pretty old.
I'll have to read through the full report, possibly with some more background I'll better see where's he coming from. I'll list some of my thoughts going through the video so we can all compare notes.

7 min: he talks about the rate of fossil fuel discovery, but doesn't mention that exploration also relates back to other sources - later he claims some like copper are tapped out. I provided a graph at the bottom showing later data, possibly he couldn't find it?

8 min: he mentions that fossil fuels are being depleted faster than discovered, declining at 5-7% year based on 2016 data. He doesn't mention that as resources decline prices go up, which is fair I guess as it's not about economics.

9:15 Regarding resource exhaustion, he does come right out and say "We don't have 50 years to get into this, we need to get into now." I'd be interested in seeing more on this as it needs to at least last until the transition, and probably beyond.

10:25 the plot is interesting with the phrase "the window of oil viability is closing", but that extrapolation looks wrong to me considering the post-covid data. He later splits it into eras and states we don't really know.

12:12 One of his assumptions is the same energy mix as 2018. I'm not sure about that, but it does jive with Elon said that as we switch we'll actually consume less power overall.

12:36 Pet peeve, why does everyone always exclude ICE? They are viable with green fuels (he says no at 13:15), but I suspect that means as a 100% replacement, again need to read the paper. Also, not a fan of the hydrogen economy, yes it's cheap to get into but the conversion penalty blows. The assumptions about hydrogen for long-distance travel are somewhat debatable, but as a conservative estimate, I can see him going that way.

13:00 Nuclear alone isn't enough, it can't be expanded in time. To that I would add, we can't afford it without a breakthrough. Pity it's so expensive, there are a lot of good things about it.

14:05 The plot's Y axis switches from capacity to economic growth? I didn't get it at first, but believe he's talking about other countries consuming more power than they do now which makes sense as they develop.

16:51 Using 2018 numbers, so much has changed in the last 5 years.... he says that it 100% needs to be sourced from new mining - which is true of batteries, but not of other components. As batteries are only a fraction of the material needs of a vehicle it's unclear how much got summed into that.

17:50 He states that utilities need for batteries is 30x the vehicle market.

18:21 1.46 billion vehicles, says he couldn't find the number so it's his estimate. Sounds a bit low, but 2018 numbers. He also estimates 11,200 km per year which is very low for the U.S., but a lot of countries are far lower (e.g., Italy is 7.7k), so sounds about right.

19:11 He says that the H2 vehicle will go 2.5 times farther because a battery is heavier and it takes more energy to move a heavier object. This is true at low speeds, but at some point, wind resistance cuts into the equation... so that's not a great assumption. Worse, because hydrogen has a low overall efficiency it skews the calculations.

20:11 His calculations provide 65.19 TWh of batteries over the next 30 years, 4.5 PWh of power for them, and nearly 20 PWh of power for other uses. I'm a fan of PHEVs, so small batteries with green fuels would greatly reduce the 65.19 TW. This thinking also doesn't include findings that as the economy shifts travel goes down as overall there's overall a reduction of fossil fuels currently consumed in mining and searching for resources and that most refineries burn 10% of the incoming resources to make the outgoing fuels.

21:14 More on the Hydrogen economy, which I personally disagree with but he might be right (as it's cheap to get into it is attractive to politicians). His numbers show 11.5PWh for hydrogen, but if you dump hydrogen they'd fall to ~7 PWh.

22:06 He eliminates all fossil fuels for fertilization and plastics, but aren't those bound? If they don't cause problems why replace them? Possibly fuel exhaustion? The paper might include the reasons.

23:30 Seems like he's getting into the gigo range now. He lists the 2018 number of power plants as 46,423. That seems very low. Let's reset the calculation with some easy-to-find numbers. According to the IEA the world uses 22,848 TWh annually. So, that's 952TW of generation, let's say it's at 50% capacity so 1,904,000 GW. Let's say there are 50,000 power plants, so the average generation is 38 MW per plant (and doubling that for total capacity is 76 MW).

If we need 36007.9 TWh and already have 10 TWh, we need 26PWh more. That's 2,968 GW, which at 38 MW per plant is 78,000 new 76 GW power plants - so not five times as many. Even so, the catch is if you have batteries you don't need to strand empty capacity, that is there's no need to build a 76 MW power plant with reserve when 38 MW will do. You do want some excess from non-solar days, so in practice it should less than double but more than one. Have to dig into his paper, but that's what I thought when I started fact-checking.

24:00 Here's where it starts to go off the rails for me, he's concluded that you need 12 weeks of battery storage for the system. But recants to only 4 weeks of storage, which at 32:10 he calculates as 549 TWh (which I don't follow, 4 weeks should be more than that).

Yes, solar is intermittent. But when there's no solar there's often wind, and when the sun doesn't shine here it does shine there. Even today states share power to balance energy needs. 4 weeks seems incredibly high to me, I wouldn't do that in my home, I'd build to have what I need for the minimum input. I can see that if you're going to have 549 TWh of storage you're going to need a lot more resources than others have predicted.

In comparison, NREL concluded when the grid was 94% from renewals the most we would need 6.0 TWh of batteries (1.3 TWh on the low end). That's 1/100th of Simon's prediction. I haven't looked at the NREL paper yet, that sounds like it'll be fun to read.

29:32 The discussion on buffers ignores overbuilding solar/wind, downplays hydro, has no reference to CAES, and ignores that solar and wind can be turned off.

34:00 Sadly, as I believe his assumptions are off, so the final numbers in the excel spreadsheet will be off.

39:58 The Metal content in EV construction is way off... existing cars are recycled, between 75% and 90% of a new car comes from old cars. The only thing new in an EV is the battery... so all that steel and the power to make it and CO2 released from it is just bad data. Interesting is the 681,865,986 tonnes of vanadium for stationary storage...first time that's been mentioned since the prior numbers used LFP for stationary storage. I don't see Vanadium being used in that sort of scale.

There's also a problem with the idea of this is how much we've mined historically so this is how long it takes; it's ridiculous and based off of supply and demand. Why would you mine tons of lithium before 2000 when there was never a need for very much of it? Just bad logic. When there's a buck to made, people find a way.

But you know what's not on the table? Sodium for the new sodium batteries ... which incidentally are far more likely than vandium redox. Hopefully whoever is reviewing his paper points some of this stuff out to him.

41:40 Oh look @aenyc ! The reference you provided says there's lots of lithium and it's not likely we'll run out.

41:45 Hmmm, the Nickle institute says there's 350 million tons... not 95M. You know, all those reserve numbers remind me of people saying in the '70s we'd run of oil in a few years. What Elon Musk (and Simon himself) has observed, is that when we go looking for more resources, we find them.

42:53 He admits here we'll just make batteries of other things if there aren't enough resources.

44:58 Simon concludes copper discovery is going down as there have been no new discoveries. But that's very misleading and he conveniently cuts the chart off at a 2015 where the data wasn't aggregated leaving a negative note which is misleading. Here's one showing to 2018 and more in line with history rather than make assumptions on the last data point:
copper%20discoveries%20graph%20resized.jpg
Doing crap like that really makes me start to doubt integrity. Okay, stopped watching for now ... but at this point any following conclusions start to fall into GIGO for me.

...Rudeness is society's way of saying "pull your head out of your ass".
That's what they want you to believe. <queue conspiracy background music> ; -)

Last edited:
Leroy

I answered you. My answer does not fit your complete specifications for your narrative or does it … don’t get mad or red face.

My ~5kw of 48vdc 4s 12v 100ah bt bms smart batteries sourced - cheapest could find were ~$1100 delivered.
what’s the math on my described system to run just my refrigerator. ???? If 200 days of battery are desired. Remember 24 hour consumes 55% soc for ~5 kw of lifepo batteries. Make it easy say 2.5kw per 24 hours. X 200 days ???

I tried to have a discussion about this type thing on another forum but ppl got mad. Hahaha No one wants to alter and change the way we source and build things with manufacturing especially at reasonable prices vs high profit losses. For instance: a large Dc refrigerator will cost 3x the money…. Vs ac refrigerator right now. We are talking off grid never ac grid power again. I am not that way and that is why ppl still have ac…. Like me….. primary grid because it is extremely affordable vs going complete solar and buying all dc powered appliances. As public ac grid is being loaded down it is getting more and more unstable. There is that. So emergency setup was put in place by me as a diy.

the smart thing to do with off grid is drop the ac inverter and all ac appliances. Make EVERYTHING DC whereas the ac shines = long distance power transmission - not needed. We are producing power on local level with off grid - solar ships - system so why not just dc. The thinking and development must radically change. Ppl use to say ac motors could never replace dc motors for torque applications. We know with development of ac inverters and motor management that is not true now. But maybe depending on application ac power should be stripped from our homes if done at the source for our own dc power generation…… aka off grid.

My MPP 3048 inverter is a pig…. But it is an AIO which has circuits for SCC MPPT and a 60a battery charger built in which tend to drain power as well as the inefficiencies of the ac inverter itself.

If ppl want massive change on a huge scale then entire way of thinking must change. We changed from green - horses for travel to gas in a reported 10-12 year period. Biden says we are changing from ICE to EV in a decade - 10 years. Remember the horse was green… power so…… was it wise to completely replace horses? Get a horse. …. Honky.

Edward Deming x10 is the only way to effectively advance and change things or better yet WW2 germany massive developments on that scale. Are we there yet? New Battery development might be as significant as vacuum tube to transistor. Everyone once lived in a vacuum tube… easy way tell if tv tubes were out if look for ones not glowing ppl had stack of replacement tubes laying on top of their tv - singular as in EXPENSIVE most ppl were lucky to have 1. Go turn the antenna by hand for different. I can hardly wait to die and leave this World. Surrounded by tards.

btw our american tanks in ww2 were called ronsons because they lite everytime…we out numbered the german tanks with junk on grade level of china junk vs good made stuff.

“if you promise me safety you can have muh freedoms. I trust my gooberment not to goober me.” Hahah hahaha Lot more then thinking is going to have to happen and change too. Your present Global Gooberment wants to tip the taxes to save the planet into their own pockets. Most ppl are blindly good with that as long as it says green the equivilant to a fat girl buying fat free mayonnaise.. to much to think comprehend or are you like others just incoherent…,,, hahhahaaha hahahah bahaha bhaha

one of the mods stated “ I am condescending and basically an asshole without them saying that” because I had called a couple ppl asshole. . Hehehe it was the truth. All the way around. ???
Ford was told that by only offering black cars his sales would suffer … he said “nonsense and showed them”. He owned the automotive market. Was his products safe? No broke arms cranking engines - had to know how to fix them and the tires sucked plus not many roads. No inter- state hwys. Hahaha ppl make me laugh. ICE killed the horses and mules in about ~ 10 years. Transistors killed tubes almost over night. Bring on the newest batteries. Are we sure the sr-71 plans did not come from a captured ww2 german sub headed to japan at end of ww2? No shit are we really truly 100% sure? Most things are never 100%.… but ppl will almost argue 100% of the time. NASA whether to the moon or not had a lot of developments….. NASA is basically gone.

I'm not thinking much of the Michaux video honestly so far. I understand he had trouble finding some data, but other sources are pretty old.
I'll have to read through the full report, possibly with some more background I'll better see where's he coming from. I'll list some of my thoughts going through the video so we can all compare notes.

7 min: he talks about the rate of fossil fuel discovery, but doesn't mention that exploration also relates back to other sources - later he claims some like copper are tapped out. I provided a graph at the bottom showing later data, possibly he couldn't find it?

8 min: he mentions that fossil fuels are being depleted faster than discovered, declining at 5-7% year based on 2016 data. He doesn't mention that as resources decline prices go up, which is fair I guess as it's not about economics.

9:15 Regarding resource exhaustion, he does come right out and say "We don't have 50 years to get into this, we need to get into now." I'd be interested in seeing more on this as it needs to at least last until the transition, and probably beyond.

10:25 the plot is interesting with the phrase "the window of oil viability is closing", but that extrapolation looks wrong to me considering the post-covid data. He later splits it into eras and states we don't really know.

12:12 One of his assumptions is the same energy mix as 2018. I'm not sure about that, but it does jive with Elon said that as we switch we'll actually consume less power overall.

12:36 Pet peeve, why does everyone always exclude ICE? They are viable with green fuels (he says no at 13:15), but I suspect that means as a 100% replacement, again need to read the paper. Also, not a fan of the hydrogen economy, yes it's cheap to get into but the conversion penalty blows. The assumptions about hydrogen for long-distance travel are somewhat debatable, but as a conservative estimate, I can see him going that way.

13:00 Nuclear alone isn't enough, it can't be expanded in time. To that I would add, we can't afford it without a breakthrough. Pity it's so expensive, there are a lot of good things about it.

14:05 The plot's Y axis switches from capacity to economic growth? I didn't get it at first, but believe he's talking about other countries consuming more power than they do now which makes sense as they develop.

16:51 Using 2018 numbers, so much has changed in the last 5 years.... he says that it 100% needs to be sourced from new mining - which is true of batteries, but not of other components. As batteries are only a fraction of the material needs of a vehicle it's unclear how much got summed into that.

17:50 He states that utilities need for batteries is 30x the vehicle market.

18:21 1.46 billion vehicles, says he couldn't find the number so it's his estimate. Sounds a bit low, but 2018 numbers. He also estimates 11,200 km per year which is very low for the U.S., but a lot of countries are far lower (e.g., Italy is 7.7k), so sounds about right.

19:11 He says that the H2 vehicle will go 2.5 times farther because a battery is heavier and it takes more energy to move a heavier object. This is true at low speeds, but at some point, wind resistance cuts into the equation... so that's not a great assumption. Worse, because hydrogen has a low overall efficiency it skews the calculations.

20:11 His calculations provide 65.19 TWh of batteries over the next 30 years, 4.5 PWh of power for them, and nearly 20 PWh of power for other uses. I'm a fan of PHEVs, so small batteries with green fuels would greatly reduce the 65.19 TW. This thinking also doesn't include findings that as the economy shifts travel goes down as overall there's overall a reduction of fossil fuels currently consumed in mining and searching for resources and that most refineries burn 10% of the incoming resources to make the outgoing fuels.

21:14 More on the Hydrogen economy, which I personally disagree with but he might be right (as it's cheap to get into it is attractive to politicians). His numbers show 11.5PWh for hydrogen, but if you dump hydrogen they'd fall to ~7 PWh.

22:06 He eliminates all fossil fuels for fertilization and plastics, but aren't those bound? If they don't cause problems why replace them? Possibly fuel exhaustion? The paper might include the reasons.

23:30 Seems like he's getting into the gigo range now. He lists the 2018 number of power plants as 46,423. That seems very low. Let's reset the calculation with some easy-to-find numbers. According to the IEA the world uses 22,848 TWh annually. So, that's 952TW of generation, let's say it's at 50% capacity so 1,904,000 GW. Let's say there are 50,000 power plants, so the average generation is 38 MW per plant (and doubling that for total capacity is 76 MW).

If we need 36007.9 TWh and already have 10 TWh, we need 26PWh more. That's 2,968 GW, which at 38 MW per plant is 78,000 new 76 GW power plants - so not five times as many. Even so, the catch is if you have batteries you don't need to strand empty capacity, that is there's no need to build a 76 MW power plant with reserve when 38 MW will do. You do want some excess from non-solar days, so in practice it should less than double but more than one. Have to dig into his paper, but that's what I thought when I started fact-checking.

24:00 Here's where it starts to go off the rails for me, he's concluded that you need 12 weeks of battery storage for the system. But recants to only 4 weeks of storage, which at 32:10 he calculates as 549 TWh (which I don't follow, 4 weeks should be more than that).

Yes, solar is intermittent. But when there's no solar there's often wind, and when the sun doesn't shine here it does shine there. Even today states share power to balance energy needs. 4 weeks seems incredibly high to me, I wouldn't do that in my home, I'd build to have what I need for the minimum input. I can see that if you're going to have 549 TWh of storage you're going to need a lot more resources than others have predicted.

In comparison, NREL concluded when the grid was 94% from renewals the most we would need 6.0 TWh of batteries (1.3 TWh on the low end). That's 1/100th of Simon's prediction. I haven't looked at the NREL paper yet, that sounds like it'll be fun to read.

29:32 The discussion on buffers ignores overbuilding solar/wind, downplays hydro, has no reference to CAES, and ignores that solar and wind can be turned off.
EDIT: Had to delete some of your post as forum was giving me errors...
That's what they want you to believe. <queue conspiracy background music> ; -)
LOL

You are 100% correct about the sodium batteries, but the sodium breakthrough was a recent thing and I think his research was in it's 3rd or 4th year? Or something like that. Nothing is perfect right?

His task wasn't to figure out what is reasonable or possible, his task was to figure out what it would take to completely dump fossil fuels. That in itself is an unrealistic goal at this point, but that was NOT the point of the research.

A bit like wanting to go somewhere.. the first step is to figure out how far you must travel.. once you know that information, you can figure out what's available to bring you the required distance and what obstacles will be in the way, how much it will cost, etc. That what this research was doing.

I'm not really surprised you watched the video.. intelligent people normally find this stuff fascinating, regardless of their overall opinion of the results. People like Aenyc don't even bother with stuff like that, but they'll happily post links because some other moron told them to.

It really is pathetic.. Can you imagine posting a link to a video that has information you haven't even watched? ROFLMAO. Really, WTF is wrong with people?

Or would you think that maybe I'm building some unique paperweight or wall art for my office or that I purchased those items for some other purpose?

You also need this wall hook; it lets you grab your keys faster when you're in a hurry to drive somewhere.

iu

You also need this wall hook; it lets you grab your keys faster when you're in a hurry to drive somewhere.

iu
You're making a joke? It's going over my head.. That looks 3d printed.. I don't get it.

Sorry.. maybe not enough coffee this morning or I'm impaired from sandblasting parts all day?

"It's a wall hook to hold your keys, so you can grab then fast."
"Only works on Armalite walls."

The guy got charged with selling machine guns.

That's just ridiculous.. I can kind of see what's happening. Just looking at it now, it seems that it would turn an AR15 into a fully automatic weapon, but the problem is that you would get to pull the trigger once and it empties the mag. Hmmm.. I'm not a trigger expert but I don't see the little catch notch to interrupt the firing pin release... that means once you pull the trigger, it doesn't stop until the mag is empty.

The other problem is that you would kind of have to know what you're doing.. even if it could auto cycle, it is likely the buffer tube in the stock would cause it to misfire. And that also makes me wonder how the gas block and tube would handle that kind of heat.. and the gun would have to have a full auto bolt carrier... heck, now that I think of it, there's a laundry list of things.

It just isn't as simple as dropping the thing in.

And if I'm wrong about that, then the weapon certainly would not fire in semi mode anymore.. It would be full auto or nothing.

And for anyone who's never fired full auto, it is a complete and total waste of ammo. It is tactically foolish unless you have a belt fed weapon with an ammo box, and more ammo boxes to replace that ammo box.

The only good reason to have a full auto weapon is that it is fun.. a lot of fun. And expensive.. Other than that, unless you're an evil piece of $hit and want to shoot into a crowd of innocent people, full auto is a gigantic waste of ammo.

I also don't think that little plastic piece of crap would last very long.. And lastly, there are tens (hundreds?) of thousands of 3d printers on the market and everyone from the aerospace engineer to 10 year old Billy Bob owns one. You can buy a 3d printer for $100 now that is capable of making simple and small parts like that, and once the download file is published, you can't take it back.

The whole thing just seems stupid.. anyone who spent their money on that is an idiot.

My AR15's all have binary triggers in them, and even that wasn't as simple as just popping a few pins out.

... sodium breakthrough was a recent thing and I think his research was in it's 3rd or 4th year? Or something like that. Nothing is perfect right?
You could be right, sodium did get a mention. The video is from 11/22, and it was known then it was coming out. Given it's abundance I can see why he might not have looked into it.

While he's obviously a climate believer, some of his assumptions just seem wackadoodle (trademark for scientific usage pending).

Take for instance his assumption of 4-12 weeks of storage or that historically we've mined at rate X, so that's the rate mining will continue at rate X or the assumption that it will be hard to mine at a 5x in a decade. Historical mining rates don't mean anything. Before lithium batteries invented a need for larger quantities, there was no need to mine more. Granted if x is one guy with a shovel 5x isn't 5 guys with shovels, but it's not that far off either.

The same lack of marketing concepts I think also led to his erroneous conclusion about oil resources (the bit around 10:25) where the conclusions in his earlier report were disproved by his subsequent report and he switched to eras to explain it. The bit about copper exploration was annoying when I found an identical chart from the same source with 3 years additional data that was already 2 years old when he published and disproved his point. If you're going to make extraordinary claims you really need to double-check facts before publishing.

His task wasn't to figure out what is reasonable or possible, his task was to figure out what it would take to completely dump fossil fuels.
I think the task was reasonable, what I argue with his some of his baseline assumptions. He thinks they're conservative, but I wasn't able to duplicate some of his numbers based on what was in the video (doesn't mean he's wrong, it means I don't have all the data). Hopefully I'll get some time to go through his paper and it'll become clearer.

I'm not really surprised you watched the video.. find this stuff fascinating, regardless of their overall opinion of the results.
I did it enjoy, it was an interesting and somewhat different look/approach. Overall the approach seemed logical, but a lot of my quick calculations don't come close to his even when I used some of his assumptions (e.g., 4 weeks worldwide battery backup). I'm looking forward to digging into his paper and the NREL paper to see what assumptions each made and see where they diverged.

So thank you @aenyc for posting it!

Last edited:
Looked around for a 3rd party fact check of Michaux's data... here's the critisms I've seen -- but haven't seen anything with math yet so take them with a grain of salt:
  • WHY 4 WEEKS STORAGE? Seriously? Actual renewable experts say Overbuild the renewables instead.
  • The mineral numbers for EVs are high-end EVs, not realistic for a 1.8B replacement
  • Sodium-ion batteries are a commercial reality and don't need copper
  • engineers recommend off-river pumped hydro. Michaux himself admits it’s the cheapest grid storage. WTF is off-river pumped hydro??
  • Michaux cherry-picked a feasibility study for pumped hydro in flat SINGAPORE!
  • WIND AND SOLAR ALSO DON’T NEED RARE EARTHS OR METALS. Why did he cherry-pick the minority of brands that require rare earths?
  • Various arguments about reducing H2 for long-range transportation
  • Lack of understanding around green fuel production .... using old data.
  • Quoting mineral reserves as limits without exploring exploration and mining timeframes
  • Oil peaks increased after his timeline, the source data is old and the conclusion erroneous
In a way, it's nice to see about folks arguing about the plan to reduce impacts from climate change as to whether it's real or not.

And now ... I have to check into what off-river pumped hydro is, never heard of it before. ; -)
Update: Off-River pumped Hydro is just closed loop pump hydro. ref1, ref2

Last edited:
@svetz I expected you to cherry pick the data and find what suites your narrative while ignoring what doesnt.

Ill pick just one - Sodium Batteries are not a viable replacement - they have a very limited recharge count

You also continue to ignore the cost, as many "progressives" always do. The problems magically fund themselves in your world (In other words you dont seem to care if we have to pay 5x for electricity (as EU has found out recently).

In addition a lot of your arguments rely on "maybe science will solve it in the future". The problem with that is that maybe has a corresponding "maybe not", and especially "maybe not ever or maybe not at reasonable cost (and cost includes financial, environmental and social").

Again and again, these people do not care about the environment.

Last edited:
I found this great article that summarizes the Covid Crazy. I am pretty sure there will be a very similar one very soon on the Climate Change Crazy.

Best part:

Listen to the experts. OK, but which experts? The scientists that governments allowed to speak? What about the scientists with hundreds of citations in prestigious journals but divergent views? Can we listen to them, too? And what about mental health experts? Or economists? Historians? Bioethicists and philosophers? A pandemic isn’t just a scientific problem to solve, but a human one. Scientists do not get to decide what gives meaning to life and what trade-offs are worth making when steering the human family through a pandemic. Some of the sharpest insights about Covid have come from people outside of science. We ignore them at our own peril.

Again and again, these people do not care about the environment.

Oh no! The dolphins and the whales! We shouldn't harass them..
exploration-and-drilling.jpg

Oh no! The dolphins and the whales! We shouldn't harass them..

Idiotic strawmen argument.
As i told you again and again, this (oil) is required to extract minerals for the "green revolution".
In fact you would need multiple times of that.

@svetz I expected you to cherry pick the data and find what suites your narrative while ignoring what doesnt.
Ill pick just one - Sodium Batteries are not a viable replacement - they have a very limited recharge count

It's great that scientists are continually finding ways to make them even better. Thanks for the links!
But, from CATL the sodium batteries they are currently mass producing:
It has an energy density of 160 Wh/kg, and CATL has a patent to raise this to 200 Wh/kg. This means they are only slightly heavier than lithium-ion batteries, which sit at about 220 Wh/kg, making a sodium-ion-powered EV possible. The battery itself can be charged from 0% to 80% capacity in only 15 minutes. Its life cycle is rated for over 3,000 charge cycles, equivalent to driving a million miles. It is super cheap at only $77 per kWh

Last edited:
On sensorship

They're out to get you... watching your every step using satellites and Jewish space lasers...

I saw some secret CIA documents detailing a study about using aluminum foil to block the manipulating brainwaves. Haven't you noticed there are no studies or research on wrapping your head with tin foil? It's that censorship man.. they blocked all those studies.. squashed them flat so people don't catch on to the secret of stopping the brain manipulation from the Jewish space lasers.

Attachments

• 1678981501745.jpeg
    1678981501745.jpeg
    370.6 KB · Views: 1
They're out to get you... watching your every step using satellites and Jewish space lasers...

I saw some secret CIA documents detailing a study about using aluminum foil to block the manipulating brainwaves. Haven't you noticed there are no studies or research on wrapping your head with tin foil? It's that censorship man.. they blocked all those studies.. squashed them flat so people don't catch on to the secret of stopping the brain manipulation from the Jewish space lasers.

Stop being idiot Murphy.
You dont actually expect the people that control the mass media to go out and tell you the truth? Especially after Covid. Safe and effective yes? Did you take your 5th booster? Why not? Experts are telling you!

It's great that scientists are continually finding ways to make them even better. Thanks for the links!
But, from CATL site of the batteries the sodium batteries they are currently mass producing:

Except they are not.
The problems are outlined, but there are no solutions yet. And may never be.
Until there are actual, real solutions, pushing renewables on the masses is scam, as has been pointed out time and time again.

You also continue to ignore the cost, as many "progressives" always do. The problems magically fund themselves in your world (In other words you dont seem to care
You continue to ignore the math and references that prove otherwise, so there's not much new to say.

if we have to pay 5x for electricity (as EU has found out recently).
What the EU found out is it is silly to be dependent on oil from an irresponsible country.

Why would you have to pay 5x as much for renewables? Do the math. It's cheaper. Or explain why the math from the last post you ignored is wrong:
Switching to renewables can be done without hardship. In fact, it's a lower cost and natural evolution that would happen anyway for two reasons: a) eventually we must run out of non-renewables, and b) as non-renewables get harder to mine they get more expensive making renewable options cheaper.
Let's run some quick math... Utilities can install solar for ~$1/W.
$1 over 25 year lifespan at an average insolation of 4.4 yields: 365x4.4x25= 40kWh. My utility is on the low end and has a blended rate of coal, gas, and nuclear at $0.15/ kWh. To get that same 40 kWh from my utility costs 40x0.15 = $6. That's six times the cost of solar with my cheap rates.
Batteries at the utility scale currently are about $131/kWh, or $0.131/Wh. Let's say they last 10 years and the price doesn't change.
Optimum battery ratios are in debate. But let's say you did 10 Wh of battery for each W of solar (e.g., 100 kWh of battery for a 10kW array), then that's $1/W + 10x$.131 x 25 years/10 year lifespan = $4.275, so solar with 10x battery it's still cheaper than $6 from the utility. That's without solar/battery subsidies...but does include fossil fuel subsidies.
That's just a back-of-the-envelope calculation and doesn't include a lot of costs. If you include everything (LCOE costs), what is known is that solar and wind are a lot cheaper than fossil fuels and with falling battery prices it won't be long before there's no need for fossil fuels.

In addition a lot of your arguments rely on "maybe science will solve it in the future".
More often than not you'll find my arguments use today's numbers and tech with the caveat that scientific advances will only make it better.
For example, the math above has nothing pie-in-the-sky about it.

Back