diy solar

diy solar

Can Solar & Wind Fix Everything (e.g., Climate Change) with a battery break-through?

... anyone to declare themselves the only purveyors of truth. ...but all it did was try to exclude opinions from political opponents...
Google's approach doesn't prevent anyone from posting their brand of the truth.

Temperatures ranging back 10,000 years determined by measuring temperature of that ice layer today.
ROFL!!!! OMG, that's hilarious.

Google Ice core basics or see #29 for more about how temperatures from the past are determined.

Hey man, I'm in Michigan.. I like warm weather too..

Unfortunately, while global warming does mean warmer weather, it also means colder weather, higher winds, more destructive storms, fewer crops, soil erosion, long dry spells, etc. So basically, while the weather is warmer on average, that warmer weather comes with some serious undesirable side effects.

Not to mention the fact that where it's hot right now, it will be uninhabitable later.. and where do you think all those people are going to migrate to?
I would think colder weather would be more un-desirable. Like the many feet of snow in upstate NY and California this year, where many were snowed in for weeks, so they had to air drop food.

Too hot, too cold, its just amazing how the Earth is the perfect distance from the Sun to make life possible at all. Solar maximums and minimums have a huge impact on Earths temperature. I am just happy we are blessed to be within the goldilocks zone.
Did you know some explorers found tropical plant fossils in Antartica, and that the Earths magnetic poles show complete shifts shown in some seabed floor samples?
Humans are but a blip on the radar from a geological perspective. We may all be gone tomorrow if there is a meteor impact or we are stupid enough to blow ourselves up.

Remember the end scene from planet of the apes? It can happen any time. We need to spend our time figuring out what we can do to all live together in harmony and peace, instead of pitting everyone against each other, or creating classes of victims. Every individual needs to understand how precious life is, and how delicate our way of life has become.

Too hot, too cold, its just amazing how the Earth is the perfect distance from the Sun to make life possible at all. Solar maximums and minimums have a huge impact on Earths temperature. I am just happy we are blessed to be within the goldilocks zone.

Too hot, too cold, it's just amazing that life developed on the one plant out of trillions which had conditions conducive to life.

I would think colder weather would be more un-desirable. Like the many feet of snow in upstate NY and California this year, where many were snowed in for weeks, so they had to air drop food.
When it gets cold, you can wear more clothes..
When it gets hot, you can only take off so many before they arrest you.. (LOL)

The goldilocks zone isn't such a narrow band as your statement seems to imply. In our solar system, the goldilocks zone starts around Venus and extends out past Mars. The problem with Venus is.. ready for this? Carbon Dioxide! LOL. Too much of it. And the problem with Mars is simply a lack of a moon large enough to make the core slosh around and generate a magnetic field.

If Venus didn't have all that Co2, it would probably be a tropical planet and be habitable. Maybe not, it doesn't have any significant moons either.

The goldilocks zone is also changing, albeit pretty slowly. As our star ages it will grow in diameter, the habitable zone will move out leaving Venus behind and eventually Earth as well.. My best guess is about 1 billion years before our star starts to really cause Earth to warm up beyond what life can take... It will only need an increase of less than 5% to cook us. At around 3 to 5 billion years, Earth will be a scorched oven and will eventually be inside the Sun's atmosphere.

Did you know some explorers found tropical plant fossils in Antartica, and that the Earths magnetic poles show complete shifts shown in some seabed floor samples?
Yes, I'm aware of that. Antarctica wasn't at the south pole a long time ago, it was part of a larger continent, moving around with the rest. It was most likely at a higher latitude at one time and plant life took hold.
If your thoughts were that Antarctica used to be warm at its present location, I'm pretty sure that is incorrect. I don't think its land mass was at its current location when the plants developed.

Earth's magnetic field has been weakening for some time and it has been suggested that the poles are going to flip soon.. Soon might be next year or 1000 years.. no one seems to know.. The Sun's poles flip every 11 years.

Humans are but a blip on the radar from a geological perspective. We may all be gone tomorrow if there is a meteor impact or we are stupid enough to blow ourselves up.
Neither is likely. If we saw a large space rock heading this way, we could divert it. It would probably take a world wide effort, but I'm pretty sure we could do it. Depends on how much time we have.. if a 10 mile wide rock were discovered a year before it hit, then no.. we'd be screwed.. but with so many astronomers looking up these days, that's not likely to happen.

As for blowing ourselves up.. while it was certainly set us back, we would also survive that as well.

Remember the end scene from planet of the apes? It can happen any time. We need to spend our time figuring out what we can do to all live together in harmony and peace, instead of pitting everyone against each other, or creating classes of victims. Every individual needs to understand how precious life is, and how delicate our way of life has become.
Human evolution on a society front is a massively complicated issue. Even our wars have provided us with some of the things we have today.

If we don't straighten out our act, nature is going to do it for us. My best guess is that will be a combination of things that take place over a ten or twenty year time span. An unusually hot summer that kills crops, a limited nuclear war, disease, etc. Eventually, a few billion people will be killed off before things settle down. This planet can not support almost 200 countries with their own self interest while hosting 10 billion people.

Successful and widely available Nuclear Fusion would solve almost all of our problems..

????????????????????

Are you in sarcastic mode?

"Too hot, too cold, its just amazing how the Earth is the perfect distance from the Sun to make life possible at all."

Do you think it is amazing that a planet which has had life for a billion years is the perfect distance from the sun?

Cognito, ergo sum.
And if the Earth wasn't the perfect (or good enough) distance, I wouldn't be. Then we wouldn't be having this conversation.

"Too hot, too cold, its just amazing how the Earth is the perfect distance from the Sun to make life possible at all."

Do you think it is amazing that a planet which has had life for a billion years is the perfect distance from the sun?

Cognito, ergo sum.
And if the Earth wasn't the perfect (or good enough) distance, I wouldn't be. Then we wouldn't be having this conversation.
Philosophy is out of the question in these conversations.. We can't even get basic science to stick.

My knowledge of Latin is on par with my knowledge of rap music. I'd be screwed without google..

I think, therefore I must be on a planet that supports life. So I'm not amazed.

Some people use the optimum placement of Earth as proof of God.
I suppose it is, because without it we would not have invented Him.

I am not worried about global warming and have not been for over a decade. Not because it isn't real, not because the fossil fuel industry has an extraordinary grip on politicians, not because it is the only planet within reach where humans can live. I am not worried because of the technical progress industry is making. Mass producing renewables and electric cars to the point they will able to compete without subsidies with fossil fuels. In another decade I don't see any financial reason why any one would want to purchase a new ICE vehicle, why any one would want to burn gas to heat their home, or why any one would want to cook on gas.

Expect a lot of stranded assets and cleanup of the fossil fuel sites that will both have to be payed for by the tax payer because the fossil fuel industry will just go bankrupt.

I think, therefore I must be on a planet that supports life. So I'm not amazed.

Some people use the optimum placement of Earth as proof of God.
I suppose it is, because without it we would not have invented Him.

Why does everyone refer to the Christian god as a "him" ?

That is one penis I really want to see.. and I'm not even gay.

Because that his His preferred pronoun, as shown in His Book?
(Or do you think the Father should be referred to has "Her"?)

Like the Bible says, "Male AND female he made them."

OIP.kFLSRkKY5HJeD84qkijfMwHaE8

I am not worried about global warming and have not been for over a decade. Not because it isn't real, not because the fossil fuel industry has an extraordinary grip on politicians, not because it is the only planet within reach where humans can live. I am not worried because of the technical progress industry is making. Mass producing renewables and electric cars to the point they will able to compete without subsidies with fossil fuels. In another decade I don't see any financial reason why any one would want to purchase a new ICE vehicle, why any one would want to burn gas to heat their home, or why any one would want to cook on gas.

Expect a lot of stranded assets and cleanup of the fossil fuel sites that will both have to be payed for by the tax payer because the fossil fuel industry will just go bankrupt.
You are WAY over estimating our progress.

Because that his His preferred pronoun, as shown in His Book?
(Or do you think the Father should be referred to has "Her"?)

Like the Bible says, "Male AND female he made them."
Like I said, that is one penis I really want to see.

Of course, I should probably consider that it would be an invisible penis..

ICE will remain very useful for some applications.
City dwellers can be moving to EV. Hybrid eases the transition, and covers long trips.
Allowing both electric and fossil fuel will let the almighty dollar be deciding factor.
Hybrids (both for cars and home appliances) would facilitate faster reduction in fossil fuel usage, because electric loads can be built out and used closer to the limit.

Once petroleum is banned, I guess we can live without these things which depend on that industry. This is a partial list of the actual 6000 products which use petroleum.

SolventsDiesel fuelMotor OilBearing Grease
InkFloor WaxBallpoint PensFootball Cleats
UpholsterySweatersBoatsInsecticides
Bicycle TiresSports Car BodiesNail PolishFishing lures
DressesTiresGolf BagsPerfumes
CassettesDishwasher partsTool BoxesShoe Polish
Motorcycle HelmetCaulkingPetroleum JellyTransparent Tape
CD PlayerFaucet WashersAntisepticsClothesline
CurtainsFood PreservativesBasketballsSoap
Vitamin CapsulesAntihistaminesPursesShoes
DashboardsCortisoneDeodorantShoelace Aglets
PuttyDyesPanty HoseRefrigerant
PercolatorsLife JacketsRubbing AlcoholLinings
SkisTV CabinetsShag RugsElectrician’s Tape
Tool RacksCar Battery CasesEpoxyPaint
MopsSlacksInsect RepellentOil Filters
UmbrellasYarnFertilizersHair Coloring
RoofingToilet SeatsFishing RodsLipstick
Denture AdhesiveLinoleumIce Cube TraysSynthetic Rubber
SpeakersPlastic WoodElectric BlanketsGlycerin
Tennis RacketsRubber CementFishing BootsDice
Nylon RopeCandlesTrash BagsHouse Paint
Water PipesHand LotionRoller SkatesSurf Boards
ShampooWheelsPaint RollersShower Curtains
Guitar StringsLuggageAspirinSafety Glasses
AntifreezeFootball HelmetsAwningsEyeglasses
ClothesToothbrushesIce ChestsFootballs
CombsCD’s & DVD’sPaint BrushesDetergents
VaporizersBalloonsSun GlassesTents
Heart ValvesCrayonsParachutesTelephones
EnamelPillowsDishesCameras
AnestheticsArtificial TurfArtificial limbsBandages
DenturesModel CarsFolding DoorsHair Curlers
Cold creamMovie filmContact lensesDrinking Cups
Fan BeltsCar EnamelShaving CreamAmmonia
RefrigeratorsGolf BallsToothpasteGasoline

And I guess all the roads those EV's will be traveling on, will be paved with cement instead of asphalt. And the insulation on the wires used to charge those vehicles will be made of cow intestines or cotton instead of a form of plastic. The phone or keyboard you are using will most likely be made of wood?

Last edited:
touché

Still, it was pointed out long ago that petroleum is worth more as lubricant than as fuel, and even more as plastic than as lubricant.
So it would be preferable to use renewable energy where possible and put our limited reserves of petroleum to highest and best purpose.

Do you suppose, with oil and gas leases (same for timber leases), companies are incentivized to convert the resource to as many dollars as possible in the shortest time possible, without regard to waste, before the lease is up?

"Yarn"

Pretty sure that was being made before the discovery of oil.
Natural products have certain benefits:

That video makes me want to use all wool, cotton, silk, etc. for furnishings, drapes, and the like. Gives you 30+ minutes to escape and/or get the fire under control vs. < 5 minutes.

Once petroleum is banned, I guess we can live without these things which depend on that industry. This is a partial list of the actual 6000 products which use petroleum.

SolventsDiesel fuelMotor OilBearing Grease
InkFloor WaxBallpoint PensFootball Cleats
UpholsterySweatersBoatsInsecticides
Bicycle TiresSports Car BodiesNail PolishFishing lures
DressesTiresGolf BagsPerfumes
CassettesDishwasher partsTool BoxesShoe Polish
Motorcycle HelmetCaulkingPetroleum JellyTransparent Tape
CD PlayerFaucet WashersAntisepticsClothesline
CurtainsFood PreservativesBasketballsSoap
Vitamin CapsulesAntihistaminesPursesShoes
DashboardsCortisoneDeodorantShoelace Aglets
PuttyDyesPanty HoseRefrigerant
PercolatorsLife JacketsRubbing AlcoholLinings
SkisTV CabinetsShag RugsElectrician’s Tape
Tool RacksCar Battery CasesEpoxyPaint
MopsSlacksInsect RepellentOil Filters
UmbrellasYarnFertilizersHair Coloring
RoofingToilet SeatsFishing RodsLipstick
Denture AdhesiveLinoleumIce Cube TraysSynthetic Rubber
SpeakersPlastic WoodElectric BlanketsGlycerin
Tennis RacketsRubber CementFishing BootsDice
Nylon RopeCandlesTrash BagsHouse Paint
Water PipesHand LotionRoller SkatesSurf Boards
ShampooWheelsPaint RollersShower Curtains
Guitar StringsLuggageAspirinSafety Glasses
AntifreezeFootball HelmetsAwningsEyeglasses
ClothesToothbrushesIce ChestsFootballs
CombsCD’s & DVD’sPaint BrushesDetergents
VaporizersBalloonsSun GlassesTents
Heart ValvesCrayonsParachutesTelephones
EnamelPillowsDishesCameras
AnestheticsArtificial TurfArtificial limbsBandages
DenturesModel CarsFolding DoorsHair Curlers
Cold creamMovie filmContact lensesDrinking Cups
Fan BeltsCar EnamelShaving CreamAmmonia
RefrigeratorsGolf BallsToothpasteGasoline

And I guess all the roads those EV's will be traveling on, will be paved with cement instead of asphalt. And the insulation on the wires used to charge those vehicles will be made of cow intestines or cotton instead of a form of plastic. The phone or keyboard you are using will most likely be made of wood?
Where did you get the idea that oil is going to be outright banned?

diy solar

diy solar
Back