diy solar

diy solar

Can Solar & Wind Fix Everything (e.g., Climate Change) with a battery break-through?

You are switching the topic, another typical trick used by certain people.
I dont think i have ever stated that we need to blindly trust "big oil" (who are certainly guilty of certain things).
The topic was discussion around PT/PRT and replacement of personal autos, and whether its efficient/makes sense to do so, given the enormous costs and very questionable benefit.

What i *am* saying is that everything has a room and need to exist. PT has its place, and so do personal autos. I am a big fan of organic markets deciding what direction technology and society will go, and not some "experts" (financed by special interest) in their ivory towers deciding what everyone must do, eat and drive, and dont you dare to ask questions, or else!
So who are you referring to then?

Please do tell?

And nobody ever said Ban cars or eliminate any.
That was all I your head.

You can’t have coexistent technologies?

Geez

There is one other social aspect of public transportation that many of you are probably not aware of (especially in big cities) - crime. The sole reason why many people refuse to take PT. Even NYC, which has excellent PT (and was on the rise until 2020), PT has been COMPLETELY decimated by rampant crime (2020 - ongoing) and politicians complete inaction in doing anything to stop it.
Nobody wants to address it because might be called racist or have to build mental wards again or build more prisons.

You keep switching subject.
You are still not answering my question regarding efficiency.
Considering the costs to implement PRT and related costs to adjust existing infrastructure to accommodate PRT, what are the benefits? What will PRT offer (again considering the cost, very important!) that we do not already have and could further optimize with existing technologies?
Cost includes financial, environmental, social.

It sounds to me that you just want PRT for the coolness factor (and it can be cool), but is it worth the cost it commands? Especially environmental and social.

Talking of PT in big cities, switching to "trolleybuses" (European name) or "Electric buses with overhead wires" (in US, such as Boston, SF) would make a lot more sense than going with BEV buses or hybrid buses, but that is a whole different topic. But it would have big impact on pollution (direct pollution via exhaust of traditional buses) and indirect (lithium/cobalt/manufacturing pollution associated with BEV/Hybrid battery buses)

Considering the costs to implement PRT and related costs to adjust existing infrastructure to accommodate PRT, what are the benefits? What will PRT offer (again considering the cost, very important!) that we do not already have and could further optimize with existing technologies?
Please just stay with your crime ridden trains and busses.
It just the best.

Several studies out there if your interested.
Google is your friend.

Google is most definitely NOT your friend, but thank you for playing. You deflated pretty quickly when asked to answer exact questions :)

There is sunk money. I doubt ppl would build the NY subways today if had to do now They sunk money into it years ago now it is basically just maintenance and crime ridden. Infrastructure like transportation is not always a great ROI. Why we have no Maglev trains.

Setting up a solar array system for your home and financing it at $50,000 or more is crazy if you are old. Will never get your money back. If young then can ppl really afford it with all the other bills plus inflation. If on fixed income for retired ppl can they afford it? Hmmmmm

Google is most definitely NOT your friend, but thank you for playing. You deflated pretty quickly when asked to answer exact questions :)
No I’m just tired of arguing with you because of personal attacks and ignoring the question I have asked. You belabor nonsense and disregard the Trillions spent on 1800s technology assuming it’s the best solution without even looking at anything else.

Please just continue to use your crime ridden transportation and don’t look at anything else.

I ignored questions you asked? Please do tell.
Your main argument for PRT is efficiency, yet you completely ignore the costs and impacts, hence my ask to you, which you never answered, but tried to either strawman or change subjects multiple times. Very predictable.

I ignored questions you asked? Please do tell.
Your main argument for PRT is efficiency, yet you completely ignore the costs and impacts, hence my ask to you, which you never answered, but tried to either strawman or change subjects multiple times. Very predictable.
I and several others suggested using hwy medians many years ago to run maglev trains but it was ignored. Now in several States the Govt has sold or leased the medians to companies putting in toll roads. Wasted space for more cars. Damn shame the interstates are run down but the toll roads on public lands are nicer.

There is sunk money. I doubt ppl would build the NY subways today if had to do now They sunk money into it years ago now it is basically just maintenance and crime ridden. Infrastructure like transportation is not always a great ROI. Why we have no Maglev trains.

Setting up a solar array system for your home and financing it at $50,000 or more is crazy if you are old. Will never get your money back. If young then can ppl really afford it with all the other bills plus inflation. If on fixed income for retired ppl can they afford it? Hmmmmm

PT in big cities makes sense. But at the same time private autos totally have a place to exist even in a big city (I lived in NYC for 25 years and owned a private auto without any issues - i love driving around the city, and i also loved taking the subway in its high days (there were times (2005-2020) when you could ride any line (even the ones in traditionally bad neighborhoods) without any issue.
However, PT in suburbia is very questionable - its a traditional place for private auto and has been for decades. In fact it was private auto that enabled all the benefits we continue to enjoy in the western societies).

As for solar - you are spot on. Economically, it takes a long time to break even (I have a 9.6KW system that cost me almost 17K out of pocket, so thats a LOT of time to break even). Not only that, production of panels is an extremely toxic process, panels can not be easily recycled, and i think in a few decades we will absolutely face another environmental issue of doing something with the used panels. That said, I do have solar in my house, but for me it was not about saving money ( i designed and built my system myself mostly with exception of a company installing actual panels on the roof and hanging the 100lb inverter). For me it was having partial self-sufficiency, and my biggest worry is rationing that they will no doubt implement in the near future. (because climate change lol).

PT in big cities makes sense. But at the same time private autos totally have a place to exist even in a big city (I lived in NYC for 25 years and owned a private auto without any issues - i love driving around the city, and i also loved taking the subway in its high days (there were times (2005-2020) when you could ride any line (even the ones in traditionally bad neighborhoods) without any issue.
However, PT in suburbia is very questionable - its a traditional place for private auto and has been for decades. In fact it was private auto that enabled all the benefits we continue to enjoy in the western societies).

As for solar - you are spot on. Economically, it takes a long time to break even (I have a 9.6KW system that cost me almost 17K out of pocket, so thats a LOT of time to break even). Not only that, production of panels is an extremely toxic process, panels can not be easily recycled, and i think in a few decades we will absolutely face another environmental issue of doing something with the used panels. That said, I do have solar in my house, but for me it was not about saving money ( i designed and built my system myself mostly with exception of a company installing actual panels on the roof and hanging the 100lb inverter). For me it was having partial self-sufficiency, and my biggest worry is rationing that they will no doubt implement in the near future. (because climate change lol).
I think it would be nice to board a dedicated passenger rail train isolated from freight train rails. Take long distance vacations. I would not want to ride on freight train rails nor share them. A high speed train like rode in W Germany back in the 1980s was very efficient for travel and being able to not worry with driving. Most germans loved their pov too pov-private owned vehicles. There is a Time and place for everything. Trains and such are obviously limited to their tracks.... which means pov are always going to be needed. Cars are expensive though next biggest purchase besides a home for most ppl. Why some ppl don't want one.... depreciates.

Btw when was in NYC several times in the mid 1980 time frame before Rudy Giuliani cleaned it up the place was very dangerous..... even in so called nicer areas. No way was the subway an option Taxi was used as transportation.

You are right. I lived in the city since early 90's and it was hell, right until around 2000-2005, this is when things started to improve. I think Giuliani definitely takes some credit for it. I would have never though the city would completely rescind 20 years of progress but it happened, and i think it was intentional. You can not entirely harm by accident or via incompetence. You will get 50/50 at best, but 100% direct harm can only be intentional.

Regarding high speed rail travel i would agree, at least in the densely populated corridors. I dont think its economically viable US-wide, but i am a big fan of free markets - if organic markets (without interference, big ask, i know :)) demand US-wide high speed train network that is economically viable (no tax payer subsity), then I welcome it :)

Folks,
I live on Long Island, I take the LIRR into NYS all the time and then "gasp" ride those "crime ridden subways" Been doing this for 35 years. Direct encounters with crime ZERO!, Folks Bad news makes for good headlines. Be interesting to compare road rage injuries and deaths to subway injuries and deaths. I do drive in the city when that makes sense, but I take public transportation whenever I can.

But you have to admit, LIRR is quite a lot different than your typical "A" or "C" train in Brooklyn? I take it you take LIRR to 34 and then a few stops in Manhattan?
I am guessing you are unaware of many many many incidents of people being pushed down the tracks, robbed, beated and killed in Manhattan subway alone (not even entire NYC) in just the last few months. This was almost non-existent 2005-2019
BTW, my dad worked for NYC Subway as Electrician for 30 years (They walk tunnels). I heard all kinds of stories in this timeframe, but last 3 years crime is dialed to 11.

Last edited:
But you have to admit, LIRR is quite a lot different than your typical "A" or "C" train yes?
I am guessing you are unaware of many many many incidents of people being pushed down the tracks, robbed, beated and killed in Manhattan subway alone (not even entire NYC) in just the last few months. This was almost non-existent 2005-2019
OF COURSE I AM AWARE! I live here! This post covid period has seen a huge jump in up close and personal crime all across NYC and other cities as well. Most of what is happening is not down in the subway, but on the street. And when I get off at Penn, I am more likely to take a 1,2 or 3, but I do take the letter trains as well. I go to Brooklyn, Queens, and even occasionally the south Bronx. We are definitely seeing a bad year in NYC but I am sick of all the hicks and suburbanites wetting their pants over every headline.

I dont know why you are so upset or hysterical. I dont think anyone is wetting in their pants lol. But the fact remains - NYC is just a shell of its former self. I am not so sure it will ever recover, especially with idiots in power today and dumbified populace who are still wearing their face muzzle alone on the street in 2023 :)

Thread Recap​

This thread has been somewhat of a journey for me. It started off in that I had been a long-time skeptic/denier, but bad science is usually debunked after a decade and the whole topic of climate change had around far too long not to give it a second look with an open mind. So I cracked open Bill Gate’s book How to Avoid a Climate Disaster and immediately saw problems. Bill's book was not the type of book I was looking for, but it did raise new questions.

The biggest issue I had with Bill's book is it seemed reasonable to me that an energy storage solution (e.g., a battery) could be tied with wind and solar to resolve the crisis and the rest of it was noise, so I started this thread to see what others thought. From the OP it seemed ESS could get us all but about 28%.

Mainly I've been a proponent of a low-cost ESS solution (which seems very feasible) because it would make wind and solar the lowest LCOE providers, and our natural capitalism steak could have the pro-climate people less concerned and reduce costs for everyone. That is a win-win.
But that lingering 28% was still a lot if climate change was indeed something to worry about.

Planting more trees didn't seem like the answer (#8).

So I went looking for other books and not finding anything started doing some research and posting the findings for discussion as I had a lot of questions in terms of the validity of the science. That starts at post #9, based on the half-life of GreenHouse Gases (GHGs), and recognizing the buildup I started changing my tune and seeing the value of net-zero. But I still had a lot of questions:

• #15 talks about Anti-Greenhouse Gases.
  • #20 talks about water as a GHG.
  • #26 talks about GHG frequency/temperature, see also #50 & #309 for a detailed video.
  • #29 talks about how they know the temperature from millions of years ago and the scientific battle over accuracy.
  • #32 talks about the accuracy of the IPCC temperature models.
  • #40 is a quick synopsis.
  • #41 talks about the number of scientists that agree with climate change and why those numbers are inaccurate.
  • #53 is about one of the IPCC models (NASA's) and links to the source code and documentation. Those essentially confirm both the completeness for the well-known elements (e.g., greenhouse effect) and parameterization for those they can't model (e.g., clouds).
  • #56 explains why most published papers are wrong. That's not to knock the IPCC findings, they're well aware of P-Values.
  • #57 is the NASA image of the energy balance and why it doesn't make sense to me.
  • #64 looks at Noctilucent clouds which occur ~80 km up and are not a part of the IPCC models.
  • #76 brings up global warming as the result of magma swelling from the earth's core.
  • #72 and #78 discuss the geological temperature changes and extinction events
  • #87 is the start of a series of posts that discuss the 6th IPCC report.
  • #94 looks at oxygen levels needed for fish to survive
  • #122 talks about modern-day temperature measurements.
  • #129 The IPCC tipping points
  • #136 What big countries think and how American attitudes have been changing
  • #229 Why temperatures will increase despite CO2 "saturation"
  • #259 Talks about NF3
  • #287 Economics of going carbon neutral and comparing it to existing fuel costs.
  • #522 Review of energy storage systems including their costs and carbon footprints.
  • #524 Nuclear power seems better than ESS, but expensive.
  • #525 Would Reducing the population help or not.
  • #541 Ocean Currents

Conclusion to Date​

A cost-effective ESS isn't enough.

From the IPCC report, the greenhouse gas concentrations must be decreased and while a low-cost ESS can help to greatly reduce GHG emissions, they don't help with a number of other processes.

Fortunately, folks are working on new technologies that will help that last 28%...for example:
  • Hydrogen might be a replacement option for long-haul trucks & air travel
  • Green Steel
  • Concrete Replacements (e.g., Mycelium, ashCrete, ferroRock, glasscrete)
  • New Concrete processes (e.g., CarbonCure)
  • Beano for Cows, synthetic meats (also allows more agricultural land to shift to food for humans ref)
  • Small/safe cost-efficient nuclear reactors (e.g., Terrapower)
Even with those technologies, that still leaves humans making a lot of CO2 by 2050. But, as @Samsonite801 pointed out in #5, there are possible solutions for that too in terms of carbon capture technology. There are also numerous plan Bs other than carbon sequestration that we have time to implement, but these are less desirable as each has associated risks and unknowns.

Last edited:
What’s hilarious about your novels is you are either uninformed or choose to ignore the fact that many of the Doctors of Disinformation were telling it how they saw it; and with the benefit of hindsight were vindicated in fact even if their divergence from consensus served to ruin their career in some cases.
Covid is a perfect example of how consensus fails to be an adequate provision to posit opinion as fact.
The most glaring support for my argument is on the CDC website : they recommend we get covid vaxed when the current circulation of covid mutation is 100% resistant to the mRNA “vaccine” which begs the question: what are we vaccinating against?

And I’m mostly ignoring the ‘undesirable outcomes’ as reported from numerous countries including Germany, New Zealand, Israel, the Netherlands at a rate high enough that no other vaccinations in history were permitted to go to market from trials with a fraction of those reports.

Consensus and authority both fail in practice. So I’m not buying that consensus thing.

As a skeptic i am not encumbered by the resident fallacies and am able to decide what I think is true after researching global warning information because my eyes are opened.
‘so you don’t trust science’ mr F. would say. ? I’m glad I heard the podcasts of Chris Martenson in januari 2020.

Is nuclear power a viable solution and overall better than energy storage? It has a great energy density, but it's also very expensive.

Sabine's analysis shows traditional nuclear reactors can't provide all the needed power as we'd quickly run out of uranium (~6:20).

She also talked about breeder reactors that get around the problem, mainly Thorium which decays to fissile uranium:
Thorium-based nuclear power generation is fueled primarily by the nuclear fission of the isotope uranium-233 produced from the fertile element thorium.

Terrapower has a similar breeder, but it's all uranium:
TWR places a small core of enriched fuel in the center of a much larger mass of non-fissile material, in this case depleted uranium. Neutrons from fission in the core "breeds" new fissile material in the surrounding mass, producing Plutonium-239. Over time, enough fuel is bred in the area surrounding the core that it can undergo fission, sending neutrons further into the mass and continuing the process while the original core expires.

Every so often in this thread someone suggests the solution is to reduce the population. Sabine was kind enough to do a video regarding the science around it:

I dont know why you are so upset or hysterical. I dont think anyone is wetting in their pants lol. But the fact remains - NYC is just a shell of its former self. I am not so sure it will ever recover, especially with idiots in power today and dumbified populace who are still wearing their face muzzle alone on the street in 2023 :)
Shell of its former self? Seemed pretty robust during my last visit in December. Not hysterical, just flabergasted that someone would think that a NY state resident in an area that is a suburb of NYC would be unaware? That would like me accusing you of being unaware of the shootings in Omaha last November.

I didn't think it was that hard to find a plausible explanation. Let's look at phenomena that can warm the Earth:
  1. The sun
  2. Gravitational Tides (why Enceladus has a liquid ocean)
  3. Nuclear reactions at the earth's core (decay, not explosions... it's a theory as to why the Earth's core hasn't solidified)
  4. Something that can't be measured and is totally unknown.
I'll rule #4 out of the discussion as you can really talk about something unknown.
We can rule #3 out as the temperature profile underground would have to increase, and it hasn't been changing.
We can rule #2 out as there aren't any changes to masses near enough to make a difference

That leaves #1, the sun. Fortunately, we've been measuring solar energy in space since the beginning of the space program so we've got a lot of data on it and we know the intensity of it hasn't changed enough to cause the problem.

So what has changed? The most obvious one is the composition of the Earth's atmosphere.
Amazingly, scientists have found a correlation between the average global temperature and GHG levels.

In the image to the right, the man is like the Earth radiating energy back out into space in the Infrared.

Except for his eyes, where his glasses block IR. At its simplest, that's what GHGs do, they don't
let energy escape back out of the Earth. When energy can't escape it temperature increases to where it can escape.

There you have it, a simple and plausible explanation for the temperature increase that has
been modeled and has accurately predicted the temperature rise.
View attachment 135078

I don't think it takes an over-inflated ego to believe a plausible explanation. As to modeling it, the IPCC predictions have ALWAYS been within the range of their cited uncertainties, and they were established in 1985.

The high-school level greenhouse effect is really only a simplistic way people explain it, which probably causes a lot of the problems as it's incomplete. There's a lot going on with depth and wavelengths that retain energy, then there are anti-greenhouse gases, clouds and other aerosols that help to reject incoming energy. But, you can find a lot of information on it (there are earlier posts where I beat my head against it and Sabine's concise video).
To limit the number of things that can affect the temperature of the earth to 4 things ... and totally leave out things that can cool it ..... is indicative of why I am skeptical.
There are probably more variables than the mind can comprehend.

Last edited:
It's a nice sound bite, but not true. Not anymore.
It is true that volcanic eruptions do make changes and affect the climate, but they don't dwarf what man is doing.
Have you considered what would happen if Yellowstone went off ... again. From what I remember it is almost due.

Shell of its former self? Seemed pretty robust during my last visit in December. Not hysterical, just flabergasted that someone would think that a NY state resident in an area that is a suburb of NYC would be unaware? That would like me accusing you of being unaware of the shootings in Omaha last November.

What i really meant is the the usual NYC vibe is gone.
Half of good restaurants have closed down for good. Many areas that were fun to be at are fenced/boarded. The streets are dirty (even by NYC standards, there are literally piles of garbage all over the place, even in Manhattan "good areas". The amount of homeless and other "asocial elements" are off the scale. I mean there were always things like that in NYC, but never ever in this amount. Even the 90s. Its kinda a whole brave new world NYC now.
And people are still wearing face muzzles. Very depressing.

diy solar

diy solar
Back