diy solar

diy solar

Can the electrical grid handle a boom in electric vehicles?

And I have said it before... Utilities have been giving a public message to give the appliances the afternoon off before Elon was even born.
That may well be true, but its undeniable that it gives the phrase " rolling blackout" a whole new meaning.

That may well be true, but its undeniable that it gives the phrase " rolling blackout" a whole new meaning.
Yes in Aug 2020 a limited 800,000 homes were subject to rolling blackouts for two days during peak hours only. This was caused by an unexpected natural gas generator going off line unexpectedly. Before that you need to look back 20 years to find a rolling blackout caused by the Enron disaster. Grid has been upgraded since last year and the improvements continue every day.

Watch how demand and supply vary as CA goes through the peak in the afternoon/evening right here:
http://www.caiso.com/TodaysOutlook/Pages/default.aspx

Hopefully TX can get their situation figured out. Very poorly managed blackout last winter compared to anything in CA.

Here’s some data regarding California reported outage statistics where at least 50,000 customers affected.

1077B05E-1946-4FD8-9D5E-65155697191E.png

Same site for Texas

67D7FA68-7A53-4FC4-803F-FD727104F99E.png

And for comparison, here’s Nevada stats.

AFAFE83A-B40A-43AC-A4B5-2937C3E7AAF0.png

The site has other states data too if you choose to look.

Another article stating that the world needs to get off its backside and get prepared.

Yes it’s from the the Evil Empire of dark overlords but it’s stating what everyone already knows. We are not prepared and need to get oriented to meet the future filled with green powered vehicles.

On Happy EV news from those evil dark oil overlords, Russia is joining the EV world.

$6100 Zetta… wow that’s interesting! I wonder what the specs will look like for this price point EV.

Hopefully, countries are gearing up appropriately. I suspect if there starts to be a problem sales will lag until the "horror" stories go away.

Nissan dropped the price of the Leaf line this week. Maybe they're trying to shake things up. Unfortunately, that move made my 2019 Leaf worth less.

There's a new bill (H.R.4920) in the house to:
... make recommendations on the development, adoption, and integration of electric vehicles into the transportation and energy systems
The Federal bill doesn't have text yet, but the early draft does. Interestingly the committee is pretty big, including the DoT, the DoE, the EPA, the GSA (government accounting), and a slew of non-federals:
  • EV company or relevant EV Parts supplier (?)
  • EV Charging Equipment
  • Public Utilities
  • Public Utility Regulators
  • Transportation Fueling distribution industry
  • Energy Providers (presumably will include wind/solar)
  • Car Dealerships
  • Passenger Transport Industry
  • Local & Regional transportation planning
  • State departments of transportation
  • State DoEs
  • An expert in intelligent transportation systems
  • Organized labor
  • The trucking industry
  • Tribal governments
  • The property development industry
The committee will have a year to put together a report on the status of electric vehicle adoption and how to expand adoption. The first part is about identifying barriers and scaling up nationwide (including consumer behavior, charging infrastructure, manufacturing and battery costs, adoption by low-income, models for charging outside of the home, regulatory issues, cybersecurity, secondary markets for batteries, grid integration, energy storage). The second part is a plan to overcome the issues at both a federal and state level.

To the original question, in my opinion: Of course not. In California, for example, the grid is already faltering, after years of political pressure to supply demands for "green" from a vocal and organized minority of the population which mostly prides itself on having no awareness of what it takes to maintain complex technical systems, and whose mix of motives are unclear, but might best be assumed to add up to some variant of "burn it all down".

Possibly, if Elon Musk can hold his companies together long enough, we will wind up with private power generation, supplying private energy distribution, in some form.

"adoption by low-income" :ROFLMAO:

Until electric cars can be bought for "$99 down, $99/month", the most viable option is for low-income users to continue driving ICE while people with money invest in EV to reduce fuel/maintenance expenses.

Alternative could be for government to provide vouchers, which dealers could accept as 90% payment of EVs?
Or hail an Uber EV.

I think Volt came close, with $199/month cost, but higher down payment and "On Approved Credit". Refer back to "vouchers", which is basically how such a deal from "Government Motors" was available.

"adoption by low-income" :ROFLMAO:

Until electric cars can be bought for "$99 down, $99/month", the most viable option is for low-income users to continue driving ICE while people with money invest in EV to reduce fuel/maintenance expenses.

Alternative could be for government to provide vouchers, which dealers could accept as 90% payment of EVs?
Or hail an Uber EV.

I think Volt came close, with $199/month cost, but higher down payment and "On Approved Credit". Refer back to "vouchers", which is basically how such a deal from "Government Motors" was available.

This I agree with. EV is not for the faint of income. Sure, it costs lest to operate, but the upfront cost is higher than a cheap ICE vehicle.

Let's say the government puts up free charging stations. They won't be everywhere, the lines will be long and there will be those yahoos that connect and stay there all day. I have free charging at work (When I used to actually drive to work.
the_bird.gif
Covid). When my car notifies me that it's done charging, I'll move it if all the other charging stations are occupied.

I could see 10 year loans becoming normal with EVs to get the payment down. Longer loans are already a trend.

I could see 10 year loans becoming normal with EVs to get the payment down. Longer loans are already a trend.
Maybe, but then you're actually paying even more for the car than what the sticker price is. That and most people that own any kind of car tend to fall for the marketing and buy a "new" car every three to four years anyway.

Back