diy solar

diy solar

Can the electrical grid handle a boom in electric vehicles?

"Its TRUE, BUT" seems to be the summary of this. Fact picking and half facts, and future projection to come to a conclusion.
The fact is, the infrastructure is NOT ready, and most western countries are resorting back to COAL for energy as they neglected to forsee their true dependance on fossil fuels. The main source of materials for batteries is controlled by our rivals, and mining for it destroys the environment while abusing children to get it at low cost.
I love my solar and battery cells, including my electric bike, but it all came from China, and they have been building hundreds of coal fired plants, so anything you do will be offset by those that dont.
That being the case, I would like a warmer planet so we can grow more food. Bring on global warming to save humanity! More Nukes! Drill baby Drill! I want our economy back!

"Its TRUE, BUT" seems to be the summary of this. Fact picking and half facts, and future projection to come to a conclusion.
The fact is, the infrastructure is NOT ready, and most western countries are resorting back to COAL for energy as they neglected to forsee their true dependance on fossil fuels. The main source of materials for batteries is controlled by our rivals, and mining for it destroys the environment while abusing children to get it at low cost.
I love my solar and battery cells, including my electric bike, but it all came from China, and they have been building hundreds of coal fired plants, so anything you do will be offset by those that dont.
That being the case, I would like a warmer planet so we can grow more food. Bring on global warming to save humanity! More Nukes! Drill baby Drill! I want our economy back!
And on climate change:

Yeah.... but every little bit helps. Plus, I love saying "God Bless" as the customers drive away. ?
Oh you do that now? I might stop in for my free sr. coffee then. Last time I tried to leave my server a tip the manager actually came out and told me to stop. I'd been doing for about a month and all I could figure was my tips put his workers at a higher wage than he was getting. I just never went back after that. Who ever heard of a server not allowed to be tipped?

This about their dear leader;
And leftists attempted to kill a sitting supreme court justice, and NOBODY was arrested. And democrats are calling for CIVIL WAR, while calling 50% of the country terrorists, similar to the guy in this video.

And leftists attempted to kill a sitting supreme court justice, and NOBODY was arrested. And democrats are calling for CIVIL WAR, while calling 50% of the country terrorists, similar to the guy in this video.
LOL...it's the RebubliKKlans that are talking about civil war you moron.

BTW....MAGAts are not 50% of this country...not even close.

And on climate change:
Some truths, but it's an osterich with it's head firmly in the ground singing la-de-dah and ignoring a whole bunch of facts. It's cast as an illusion of arrogant scientists, biased media, and lying politicians. That people are lying to you because of X, where X is some misrepresented factoid. He has a BS in Science, but he is not by any means a climate scientist. He is however a politician and fact... I saw his lips moving in the video.

Like him, I had to start from scratch and actually review the data and filter out the media crap.... man is there a lot of crap. I don't have political affiliations (the video states he was undersecretary when Obama was in office, but he actually works currently for Trump (ref) so that misdirection is probably to sway some democrats). I came to different conclusions and you can see that journey and data here, but here's the short rebuttal:

Bad News Sells, you can't believe the media
True - most of the hysteria hyped about individual weather events being attributed to climate change are crap. You can't point to any single event and say that was from climate change. But he does agree that the temperature is going up and that it's caused by humans burning fossil fuels.
Update: Just after posting realized one exception might be the rise in sea levels. See? Never save never... ; -)

Computer models aren't that good & not really that accurate - certainly not over 50 years
False... since modeling has started, the modeling predictions have ALWAYS fallen within the predicted range of accuracy. Furthermore, all of the IPCC conclusions and recommendations are based on including that range. Modeling started in 1970, so that's over 50 years, and it's still accurate and getting even more accurate. For more see this:
https://diysolarforum.com/threads/c...ttery-break-through.25299/page-14#post-419352

We Can't Get Rid of Fossil Fuels
False... It's true it can't happen overnight and there's a lot of work to be done. But we've only really built it up in the last 100 years and we've got about 30 years to get rid of a big chunk of it. There are lot of studies that show it's possible. The U.S. is already >20% renewables, and globally >29%. Nuclear is around 19% and globally 10% (France is 77%). Not only are there tons of cost studies, but a number of contries are agressively converting and still have a positive GDP. Why are folks shouting absurdities like this? Because it's money to them, fossil fuels going out of business will change the economy and possibly destroy nations. But you don't have to pick your evils, the big oil companies all have plans (which take time which is why they keep asking politicians to stop working on eliminating them and you see FUD vids like that).

Eight years ago Exxon Mobile made a statement saying Climate Change is real:
"We know enough based on the research and science that the risk (of climate change) is real and appropriate steps should be taken to address that risk," Ken Cohen, Exxon's government affairs chief, said in an interview.

Turns out all the big 4 oil companies all agree with the IPCCs findings (Exxon Mobil was the last to admit it, I think Shell was first in 2009), yet so many are still adamantly opposed to the dangers. All of the big oil companies have plans in place.

Getting Rid of Fossil Fuels doesn't fix the problems because it takes so long for CO₂ to decompose.
True - Eliminating fossil fuels doesn't immediately solve the problem. But minimizing them prevents things from getting worse.
It's also going to take more than just eliminating fossil fuels, we need to minimize the CH4 leaking out of pipelines, agriculture & industrial generation, and minimize other greenhouse gases. There's a lot to do and we need to get on board and do it already.

Hubris leads to bad decisions, knowledge leads to better ones
True - But what does he think the billions of dollars in research over the last 50 years have been doing if not to increase our knowledge and understanding so that we don't make bad decisions? Real hubris is ignoring the science because it is inconvenient for your politics.

Last edited:
Some truths, but it's an osterich with it's head firmly in the ground singing la-de-dah and ignoring a whole bunch of facts. It's cast as an illusion of arrogant scientists, biased media, and lying politicians. That people are lying to you because of X, where X is some misrepresented factoid. He has a BS in Science, but he is not by any means a climate scientist. He is however a politician and fact... I saw his lips moving in the video.

Like him, I had to start from scratch and actually review the data and filter out the media crap.... man is there a lot of crap. I don't have political affiliations (the video states he was undersecretary when Obama was in office, but he actually works currently for Trump (ref) so that misdirection is probably to sway some democrats). I came to different conclusions and you can see that journey and data here, but here's the short rebuttal:

Bad News Sells, you can't believe the media
True - most of the hysteria hyped about individual weather events being attributed to climate change are crap. You can't point to any single event and say that was from climate change. But he does agree that the temperature is going up and that it's caused by humans burning fossil fuels.
Update: Just after posting realized one exception might be the rise in sea levels. See? Never save never... ; -)

Computer models aren't that good & not really that accurate - certainly not over 50 years
False... since modeling has started, the modeling predictions have ALWAYS fallen within the predicted range of accuracy. Furthermore, all of the IPCC conclusions and recommendations are based on including that range. Modeling started in 1970, so that's over 50 years, and it's still accurate and getting even more accurate. For more see this:
https://diysolarforum.com/threads/c...ttery-break-through.25299/page-14#post-419352

We Can't Get Rid of Fossil Fuels
False... It's true it can't happen overnight and there's a lot of work to be done. But we've only really built it up in the last 100 years and we've got about 30 years to get rid of a big chunk of it. There are lot of studies that show it's possible. The U.S. is already >20% renewables, and globally >29%. Nuclear is around 19% and globally 10% (France is 77%). Not only are there tons of cost studies, but a number of contries are agressively converting and still have a positive GDP. Why are folks shouting absurdities like this? Because it's money to them, fossil fuels going out of business will change the economy and possibly destroy nations. But you don't have to pick your evils, the big oil companies all have plans (which take time which is why they keep asking politicians to stop working on eliminating them and you see FUD vids like that).

Eight years ago Exxon Mobile made a statement saying Climate Change is real:

Turns out all the big 4 oil companies all agree with the IPCCs findings (Exxon Mobil was the last to admit it, I think Shell was first in 2009), yet so many are still adamantly opposed to the dangers. All of the big oil companies have plans in place.

Getting Rid of Fossil Fuels doesn't fix the problems because it takes so long for CO₂ to decompose.
True - Eliminating fossil fuels doesn't immediately solve the problem. But minimizing them prevents things from getting worse.
It's also going to take more than just eliminating fossil fuels, we need to minimize the CH4 leaking out of pipelines, agriculture & industrial generation, and minimize other greenhouse gases. There's a lot to do and we need to get on board and do it already.

Hubris leads to bad decisions, knowledge leads to better ones
True - But what does he think the billions of dollars in research over the last 50 years have been doing if not to increase

Put a solar panel on my car and I can drive forever!

... oh the wet dream of the VW hippies of the 60s! This notion just keeps being recycled over and over just like the perpetual motion machines. I’ve heard it said so many times from so many virtuous greenies. My God what happened to our schools? Ok to be civil about this, do some basic math. There isn’t enough surface area on a vehicle to generate enough power.

Sure I wish a car with a solar roof/truck would allow me to buzz into town, go to work,... but just like the Jetson’s flying car, it ain’t real! Sure people play with the notion (see the photos below) but the solar panels of today are not capable of generating the required power needed to move the mass of the car, occupants, gear, etc. for any viable/practical use. Top off / station keeping of the batteries, run a cooling fan, security system, ... sure it works for small loads but drive a few miles around only using the power from the panels, well even a tortious will beat you in a long run. Again look at how much power can be produced verse power to be consumed. You’ll be better off just walking!
Looks like mercedes may have the answer?

I'm beginning to think we should eliminate the anonymity of the internet. Every social media post should come with a tag showing the poster's real name.

Throughout human history, individuals in society have never had a means of communication that did not involve the ability of the audience to identify the speaker.

From the moment the internet was created, and anonymity was inherent, society has gone down hill fast.

And leftists attempted to kill a sitting supreme court justice, and NOBODY was arrested.

Have there been others who have not been arrested?

And democrats are calling for CIVIL WAR
Link?

while calling 50% of the country terrorists,
No one called half of the country terrorists.

"Donald Trump and the MAGA Republicans represent an extremism that threatens the very foundations of our republic.
Now, I want to be very clear — (applause) — very clear up front: Not every Republican, not even the majority of Republicans, are MAGA Republicans. Not every Republican embraces their extreme ideology."

"Overall, 52% of U.S. adults said Trump bore a lot of responsibility for the violence and destruction at the Capitol, while 23% said he bore some responsibility and a similar share (24%) said he bore none at all."

People who support storming the capitol while chanting "Hang Mike Pence" are by definition (domestic) terrorists.

similar to the guy in this video.

Maybe you could point to a video where he called half the US population terrorists.

I'm beginning to think we should eliminate the anonymity of the internet. Every social media post should come with a tag showing the poster's real name.
First of all that is not enforceable. Secondly anonymity is an important aspect of free speech as there are nations where you could get arrested by the state for expressing your opinion.

Throughout human history, individuals in society have never had a means of communication that did not involve the ability of the audience to identify the speaker.
That doesn't mean that all was well, look at Mao, Stalin and Hitler.

From the moment the internet was created, and anonymity was inherent, society has gone down hill fast.
Sadly many things that can be used for good can also be used for evil.

Back