diy solar

diy solar

Can you run a wind turbine and PV on a Deye / Sunsynk inverter?

SenileOldGit

Solar Enthusiast
I'm reading up about the Deye 8kW single phase inverter as fast as I can, but I'm not sure whether you can run a wind turbine AND PV at the same time with one. Does anybody here know?

(ps I just wanted to say a big 'thank you' to everybody here for all the help you've given me and others over the past few months. I now feel confident when choosing a new inverter, six months ago it was a nightmare, because I didn't understand what I should be looking for.)

I am planning to build a wind turbine based on Erasmus Darwin's brilliant design:

I think Robert Murray-Smith is such a brilliant presenter and teacher, he is so passionate about everything he demonstrates.

Looking at the Deye manual, on page 18 it shows a wind turbine connected, but no PV at the same time. I suppose I could get my electrician to install some kind of switch, between the PV cables, and a wind turbine cable, and I could manually switch over after sunset? Or am I mistaken in thinking that a wind turbine would be wired into the inverter's MPPT connectors?

The general answer is "Yes."

You will need a separate charge controller attached to the battery independent of your Deye system.

Are you pursuing wind for the novelty, or do you want actual energy from it? If the latter, please see:

Wind energy is always net negative, i.e., you'll likely never break even on it. The initial cost will likely take 20-30 years before you break even, and once you factor in maintenance costs since they break down regularly, it will be a perpetual negative.

In your example, while the turbine swept area is smaller, one can look at the projected area of the "tower". He indicated it's 1.2m tall. I would estimate it's 0.8m wide. That's 0.96m^2.

The maximum amount of power capable of being generated by that area in 12mph winds is about 91W. That's assuming that your turbine is capable of harvesting 100% of the power. Not possible. You might be able to get 30% or 27.3W out of that system. This is VERY optimistic. Assuming you get that 24/7, that's 239kWh/year. At $.12/kWh, that's about US$29 of energy.

Lastly, the "tower" is misleading. The purpose of a tower isn't just for mounting, but it's to raise the turbine to > 10m to access higher winds with more uniform flow. The "tower" does nothing of the sort.

If you find a wind turbine design that's not already in widespread use, it's because there are better options already in use.

Thank you for explaining that in such detail, sunshine_eggo, I don't think wind power is worth pursuing at all, going by your figures. Just one of my 20 solar panels would easily outperform that Erasmus Darwin turbine, and as you say, wind turbines require much more maintenance than my solar panels ever will.
I will see how much power I get each day from my 12kW of solar panels, when I get my new Deye inverter installed, and then I will just add more solar panels if I need them.

That is often the argument... $ is better spent on more PV.

As negative as I am on wind, I am still toying with the idea of having a small system in the future. Our average wind speed is unremarkable (10-12mph), but there are times of the year where wind is amazing, 20-30+mph. When it's cloudy, there tends to be great wind, and we even get decent wind at night. This was last night at 3am:

Due to clouds and cold, I only pulled in 1.7kWh in PV today, so a wind turbine would have been a nice little bonus. Due to gusts, I'd prefer a vertical, but I just can't find any decent options.

The general answer is "Yes."

You will need a separate charge controller attached to the battery independent of your Deye system.

Are you pursuing wind for the novelty, or do you want actual energy from it? If the latter, please see:

Wind energy is always net negative, i.e., you'll likely never break even on it. The initial cost will likely take 20-30 years before you break even, and once you factor in maintenance costs since they break down regularly, it will be a perpetual negative.

In your example, while the turbine swept area is smaller, one can look at the projected area of the "tower". He indicated it's 1.2m tall. I would estimate it's 0.8m wide. That's 0.96m^2.

The maximum amount of power capable of being generated by that area in 12mph winds is about 91W. That's assuming that your turbine is capable of harvesting 100% of the power. Not possible. You might be able to get 30% or 27.3W out of that system. This is VERY optimistic. Assuming you get that 24/7, that's 239kWh/year. At $.12/kWh, that's about US$29 of energy.

Lastly, the "tower" is misleading. The purpose of a tower isn't just for mounting, but it's to raise the turbine to > 10m to access higher winds with more uniform flow. The "tower" does nothing of the sort.

If you find a wind turbine design that's not already in widespread use, it's because there are better options already in use.
is that true even if the deye/sunsynk has 2 or more charge controllers ?

Which part? The separate controller? Probably. I've only seen a couple controllers with dual PV/wind modes. Midnite Classics and Xantrax C40. Wind is very different from PV and often requires diversion capability and/or brake control.
well, iḿ not into wind , but here's a guy in Ireland that has both, including diversion load ...

he is using 2 inverters, and seems to use 1 pv array to 1 MPPT of each inverter, and 1 wind turbine to the other MPPT , but could be wrong

Everything on this wall is in addition to the MPPT:

The wind controller and 2X 5kW dump loads.
1672757884607.png

So the answer is yes, you can connect a wind turbine to the input of a MPPT provided you deal with all the requirements of a wind turbine before it gets to the MPPT - a charge controller and dump loads.

This is also an absurdly large wind turbine compared to a typical micro wind turbine with a very high voltage, and it may have been easier to pipe that into the MPPT than reduce to battery voltage. The smaller wind turbines generally don't produce 400V.

Everything on this wall is in addition to the MPPT:

The wind controller and 2X 5kW dump loads.
View attachment 127746

So the answer is yes, you can connect a wind turbine to the input of a MPPT provided you deal with all the requirements of a wind turbine before it gets to the MPPT - a charge controller and dump loads.

This is also an absurdly large wind turbine compared to a typical micro wind turbine with a very high voltage, and it may have been easier to pipe that into the MPPT than reduce to battery voltage. The smaller wind turbines generally don't produce 400V.
thanks for clarification... Like i said, not in to wind , but love to learn

Back