diy solar

diy solar

Can you use a SW4048 or XP without the control box?

realpinochet

Make Stuff In America Again!
I've been waiting to see how the newer AIO units played out as I don't typically buy something until there's a lot of usable data. The new EG4 and the even newer midnite AIO are two examples. But, seeing how our world is in such chaos I think I need to get something to at least run the deep freezers and well pump..maybe charge a phone etc. Considering the role I just mentioned I'd look for a track record. Schneider & Outback seem to have this. The SW 4048 seems to be a really good price and the XP has really came down in price. The Outback 8048 is another one that seems like a good price point. The issue is these seem to require a combox that's around $500. First is anybody using a SW 4048 to run a wellpump? I believe mine is 1hp at 200ft. Can these be used without the box or do you have to program them?

I've got two normal fridges, three deep freezers and some ham radios etc that would need to be charged. As, well as being able to fire up the well pump so we have water. What's a affordable but reliable route for this?

Wow. That’s interesting. And too bad that it was big battery who bought them.

The American business model.

Don't actually compete with your own product, just buy up the competition so there isn't any.

Then fob off YOUR (probably not as good) product as the best thing going...

WTF..really?

It's not been officially announced, but the preponderance of the evidence says yes:

Our own @chrisski has a nice take on it:

SEC filing:

On November 8, 2023, the Company’s Board of Directors approved a plan to stop production and operations of residential renewable energy products, which include our OutBack and Mojave brands.

The Outback 8048 is another one that seems like a good price point. The issue is these seem to require a combox that's around $500.
The Outback requires more than a combo box. Go with the integrated system.

Something has happened to Outback. Big battery was at least in the process of buying them, but for over a month now silence. Sale fell through or getting things together not sure. I bought a spare radian for spare parts just in case.

The Outback can handle what you want if the pump is not too extreme. Wells here are between 500 and 1500 feet deep. That is extreme. If it is too much, up to 10 can be put in parallel for 80 kw.

The SW can't be configured locally, you'd need an Insight to control it. Probably not worth it to run a pump. I might look into a Victron Phoenix for that.

Funny enough, the original SW from Trace Engineering that all SW and XW since architecture from Xantrex and Schneider is based on, had an LCD multilevel menu and navigation buttons that you could control everything though. My retired 25+ year old SW2512 still works perfectly after 22+ years of 24/7/365 service.

The Outback requires more than a combo box. Go with the integrated system.

Something has happened to Outback. Big battery was at least in the process of buying them, but for over a month now silence. Sale fell through or getting things together not sure. I bought a spare radian for spare parts just in case.

The Outback can handle what you want if the pump is not too extreme. Wells here are between 500 and 1500 feet deep. That is extreme. If it is too much, up to 10 can be put in parallel for 80 kw.

Do you know if the Schneider
The SW can't be configured locally, you'd need an Insight to control it. Probably not worth it to run a pump. I might look into a Victron Phoenix for that.

Funny enough, the original SW from Trace Engineering that all SW and XW since architecture from Xantrex and Schneider is based on, had an LCD multilevel menu and navigation buttons that you could control everything though. My retired 25+ year old SW2512 still works perfectly after 22+ years of 24/7/365 service.
Victron is 120v only..I need split phase.

I put together a medium sized system for a friend using a Schnider SW 4048. It works right out of the box. All defaults worked fine for them.

Can you elaborate more on this, does the inverter charge the batteries. That's one area I've seen where a combox was a must if you needed to change the charge settings. I truly wish the xp had a BT interface simple serial port.

Can you elaborate more on this, does the inverter charge the batteries. That's one area I've seen where a combox was a must if you needed to change the charge settings. I truly wish the xp had a BT interface simple serial port.
Yes, it is an inverter/charger. Unlike an All In One it doesn't take solar, DC input. It can charge from a generator, if needed. For setting a specific set of charging voltages other than default, I guess you need some other control box

Do you know if the Schneider (Needs the box)
I don't know about the schneider. I do know the box you talk about for the Outback is necessary. At the bare minimum, you could build the insides yourself out of busbars and breakers, but that would be a bit of a build. I also suspect the $500 box you mentioned does not have any breakers on the inside. This will have at least six breakers. With everything included, the price is a bit more. It also has another circuit card in it, which I'm not sure if that's part of the Fex Net Hub interface system or part of the box. The Flex Net Interface systems hooks to the bottom

Yes, it is an inverter/charger. Unlike an All In One it doesn't take solar, DC input. It can charge from a generator, if needed. For setting a specific set of charging voltages other than default, I guess you need some other control box
I think what I remember on a video a guy did regarding the SW ..was he had to get a combox to turn off charging.

Not sure if your question was answered completely.
Schneider inverters have a very basic display on the front: LEDs to indicate AC1, AC2 power or an Event such as a warning or fault is present. Charging Amps or Inverter output in kW is shown. A button to switch to standby and I believe 4 or 5 leds to show approx. batt SoC. All other information and user settings are done through the InsightHome. Combox is discontinued.

Not sure if your question was answered completely.
Schneider inverters have a very basic display on the front: LEDs to indicate AC1, AC2 power or an Event such as a warning or fault is present. Charging Amps or Inverter output in kW is shown. A button to switch to standby and I believe 4 or 5 leds to show approx. batt SoC. All other information and user settings are done through the InsightHome. Combox is discontinued.
Thanks. It's a shame that they didn't allow a serial connection with some software on a laptop or something. I wonder what the defaults are, I'd assume some batteries from SS or comparable would need to be tweaked thus requiring a $400 extra piece of hardware. I'm still planing on a whole house setup at a latter date but wanted to get a inverter to run the essentials,fridge / freezers & well pump. Schneider was a easy pick for this task due to their rep. I just hate the idea of spending $400 just to set some stupid settings once.

Thanks. It's a shame that they didn't allow a serial connection with some software on a laptop or something.
They do, its called a configuration tool and it costs $600+ but the software is free I believe. :)
I wonder what the defaults are,
Defaults as well as the range for each user setting is in the Appendix portion of the Operation Manuals.
I'd assume some batteries from SS or comparable would need to be tweaked thus requiring a $400 extra piece of hardware. I'm still planing on a whole house setup at a latter date but wanted to get a inverter to run the essentials,fridge / freezers & well pump. Schneider was a easy pick for this task due to their rep. I just hate the idea of spending $400 just to set some stupid settings once.
Its much more than just setting things once. All the Warning codes and Fault codes as well as system status and power flow info is available. Some people don't care about monitoring data or watching their system but when something doesn't work all of a sudden you will most definitely want the InsightHome.
These inverters are not perfect, they are very reliable and robust but things happen where you may need to do a factory reset or change some charge parameters. For example, lets say you want to slowly ramp up the float voltage over a couple of days to let the BMS rebalance batteries. You will need access to the user settings.

The XW should be able to use the SCP (system control panel) locally without a combox or insight/2. We had several of these setup like this in Puerto Rico after hurricane Maria

A new Conext inverter will power on by it's power button out of the box, with default settings. That might work fine for you especially if you're only using it as an inverter and not for charging.

A new Conext inverter will power on by it's power button out of the box, with default settings. That might work fine for you especially if you're only using it as an inverter and not for charging.
I was planning on having a small...say 8 panel array and paring up a charge controller. The purpose was to be able to run the freezers / Fridge well pump during long outages. Is charging turned on by default, I guess the appendix states this like the user above says. Honestly, a AIO would / could be a better solution but they just don't have the reliability record.

I was planning on having a small...say 8 panel array and paring up a charge controller. The purpose was to be able to run the freezers / Fridge well pump during long outages. Is charging turned on by default, I guess the appendix states this like the user above says. Honestly, a AIO would / could be a better solution but they just don't have the reliability record.
The only way the inverter charges is with AC power from a generator. DC power from solar panels will need the charge controller and are not in any way connected to the inverter.

diy solar

diy solar
Back