diy solar

diy solar

Canadian solar panels not on California's equipment list?

Jimmy79

In the midst of becoming a YouTube solar expert, I got a great "deal" on a bunch of Canadian solar panels. Then I discovered California's list of approved solar equipment. I don't see them there! Am I missing something? But here’s the real problem...

I got the solar bug a few years back and have had a blast learning about solar and thinking of different ways I could put it to work around my small berry farm. The real issue for me is that, after buying a bunch of not-so-cheap goodies, I don't have a functioning money-saving system up and running. I do have:

1. A functioning battery backup for the house powered by a 4-12k Aimes off-grid inverter. I have 1 solar panel out to keep the batteries topped off.
  2. I had a non-permitted grid tie system up for a while just to see if could do it. I took it down because, you know, I generally like to obey the rules.
My initial thought was to build a small “under the radar” system that, along with a generator (for well pumps), could carry us through a long power outage. After continued research and fooling around, I have come to the conclusion that its silly that my significant solar investment isn’t saving me money. I pulled the trigger too soon on equipment that is not permitted in California and not super efficient.

I want to get permitted, and save money. The way I see it I have 2 legal options:
  • Use my existing equipment and get permitted for an off-grid battery back up to power things like my pumps… which would save money.
  • Sell everything and start over with a super duper hybrid grid-tie and a gazillion dollars worth of batteries
  • Oh yea…money to purchase new stuff is an issue, but then again my last PGE bill was $700
So I humbly present my silly self to the solar wisdom of this forum…. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated, thanks

I don't think the building authorities care if the solar panels are on the list. If you want to grid tie, the inverter must be on the list. For off grid to power well pumps and to be safe you may want to use UL listed inverters. Is your building department part of a City or County? The first thing I would focus on is reducing your usage. If you are on a Time of Use rate, the highest rate is generally between 4PM and 9PM.

If you discover a grid tied system is going to become a pain to comply with you can build an entirely unconnected off grid system. It already sounds like you have off grid equipment. What is this back up battery you speak of? If you don't, in any way, mix your grid power and your off grid power you can still use it on a daily basis to power things like refers. pumps, lighting, etc. providing your system is up to powering these type loads on a 24/7 basis. This will end up saving you SOME money but unlike a grid tied system that continually feeds your loads and the grid an off grid system will shut down once the batteries get full so you would want to take advantage of the potential power your system can continue to make by running "opportunity loads" in the afternoon.

If you discover a grid tied system is going to become a pain to comply with you can build an entirely unconnected off grid system. It already sounds like you have off grid equipment. What is this back up battery you speak of? If you don't, in any way, mix your grid power and your off grid power you can still use it on a daily basis to power things like refers. pumps, lighting, etc. providing your system is up to powering these type loads on a 24/7 basis. This will end up saving you SOME money but unlike a grid tied system that continually feeds your loads and the grid an off grid system will shut down once the batteries get full so you would want to take advantage of the potential power your system can continue to make by running "opportunity loads" in the afternoon.
Thank you! I think I can save a bunch if I can run my pumps.

Thank you all so much for your input! I found it all very helpfull and encouraging. Attached is a schematic of my current system. All is in place except for the solar array. I'd like to try and get permitted then turn off the mains for the winter ...;). What do you all think?

Attachments

• solar schematic.pdf
    49.9 KB · Views: 17
Thanks for the valuable input. From a safety standpoint, I have an interlock installed- in other words I cant physically power the house from battery or generator until I turn off the mains. I dont know if that will pass inspection. Also, we want to try to live intermittently on batteries this winter, but you know sometimes you just need the punch from the grid. Turn breakers on and off doesnt seem like a good options. Others have mentioned a transfer switch.... need to research that!

I have an interlock installed... does that qualify?
The interlock will put your entire home on the backup system. You still haven't detailed your battery but for sure you will need substantially more solar power for anything more than a brief power outage.

I was under the impression you only wanted to back up some critical loads so was picturing the interlock backup breaker powering a critical loads subpanel.

there's a lot that needs to be fixed if you want this system permitted, all components need to be listed, in particular since this system is an energy storage system, UL 9540 listing is required. I am not sure the requirement for UL9540:2020, which requires a list combination of battery and inverter, is required for commercial properties, and you may be able to use batteries listed as UL9540 with any listed inverter. Additionally the solar panel mounts you use will need to be a preengineered system, or will require engineer stamped plans.

there's a lot that needs to be fixed if you want this system permitted, all components need to be listed, in particular since this system is an energy storage system, UL 9540 listing is required. I am not sure the requirement for UL9540:2020, which requires a list combination of battery and inverter, is required for commercial properties, and you may be able to use batteries listed as UL9540 with any listed inverter. Additionally the solar panel mounts you use will need to be a preengineered system, or will require engineer stamped plans.
Thanks

Back