diy solar

diy solar

CATL 271ah, EVE 280ah or Lishen 272???

I think the Lishen 272ah with studs are the best buy out there right now....at least that I know of. That is what I am recommending to all of my guys and ordering over 100 of them to have on hand myself.

I think the Lishen 272ah with studs are the best buy out there right now....at least that I know of. That is what I am recommending to all of my guys and ordering over 100 of them to have on hand myself.
I don't have experience with the Lishen, but certainly they seem of equal quality, and cheaper. I would agree with the studs part as well.
Now that I've said that, we'll get a bunch of people reporting 250AH tests and broken studs, but indications so far seem to say the Lishen are the best value.

For the Lishen would it be best to order and install the lugs yourself to avoid any shipping damage.
My supplier for the Lishen cells with studs welds and ships thousands of them. Personally I would rather have them do the welding, but then I have never been the best welder in the world LOL.

My supplier with your choice of M6 or M8 studs at no extra charge not only has Lishen 272ah,but also:
Lishen 202ah
Catl 202ah with QR code
Catl 271ah with QR code
and 310ah without QR code

I assume the studs are aluminum if they are welding them onto the terminals? I don't know anything about batttery cell manufacturing, but I'm pretty sure you can't weld aluminum and steel together. Alumimum studs should be good (and probably bring a little improved conductivity), but you still need to be careful since they are much softer than stainless. I've got some 272 lishen's on the way with M6 bolts and I plan to put my own studs in. I certainly would have done the M8 welded stud option if it had been available at the time.

I think studs are normally stainless steel. As far as I know their only function is mechanical.

I think studs are normally stainless steel. As far as I know their only function is mechanical.
Agree for screw in studs, but I'm seeing these described as welded studs. I'm pretty sure there is no way to weld stainless studs to aluminum terminals, but I could be wrong on that.

Agree for screw in studs, but I'm seeing these described as welded studs. I'm pretty sure there is no way to weld stainless studs to aluminum terminals, but I could be wrong on that.
explosive welding will do it but the results can vary

but on the serious side aluminum and stainless steel is waiting for corrosion big way (build alu yachts )

I put in an order for the 272AH with 'attached lugs'. I called it welded in the communication so maybe that language just stuck in their response. I guess we shall see when the order comes. I ordered 20, hoping to build two solid 8S packs and one 4S pack with the odd ball cells.

So for building these packs so far:
  • Box building
    • It seems like there is some conductivity questions/answers about the casing on the cells. It sounds like the solution is to put some non-conductive material between the cells as well as other sides. It seems a couple mil piece of plastic could do this. I am planning on building a wooden box for now.
  • Compressing the cells
    • I am not sure how this would be measured, or would one just make a 'snug' box for them. I like the idea in one thread about plywood ends then rods on each corner. It seems like there would be some torque we could come up with for that.
  • Bus bars
    • For low C applications it seems like the provided ones may be okay.

The information I have is that they are in fact welded, and that comes from multiple suppliers and a couple of manufacturers.
I will try to get clarification of the metals involved and the welding process they use when they come into work tonight.

I put in an order for the 272AH with 'attached lugs'. I called it welded in the communication so maybe that language just stuck in their response. I guess we shall see when the order comes. I ordered 20, hoping to build two solid 8S packs and one 4S pack with the odd ball cells.

So for building these packs so far:
  • Box building
    • It seems like there is some conductivity questions/answers about the casing on the cells. It sounds like the solution is to put some non-conductive material between the cells as well as other sides. It seems a couple mil piece of plastic could do this. I am planning on building a wooden box for now.
  • Compressing the cells
    • I am not sure how this would be measured, or would one just make a 'snug' box for them. I like the idea in one thread about plywood ends then rods on each corner. It seems like there would be some torque we could come up with for that.
  • Bus bars
    • For low C applications it seems like the provided ones may be okay.
send them a picture of the lugs you want to avoid miscommunication
ha cell compression or not: this is my take on it take the cell with + insulation is the max distance for your box
this is what i need to make.
in the bottom and the top slot there will be a pice of wood witch have the total distance of the cell+ isolation

Attachments

• 280 braced.pdf
    85.6 KB · Views: 51
Welded stud
Is that a Lishen cell? Can you post a higher resolution photo? None of the terminals surface area is usable and busbars may not be a good idea. I am not so sure there is enough surface area on the flange for large lugs either. Also stainless steel is not a very good conductor. Not an expert in this area so I am just throwing it out. But I think it would be better for one to get the cells without the welded studs and use grub screws and a thread locker. And use a torque of no more than 4.5nm when tightening the nuts on the busbars.

I believe the suppliers use laser welding. That's what bullion told me when I was going to purchase the 202ah Lishen's from them. The Lishen 202ah cells have a large square terminal on them so it's not as much of a concern since the supplier can laser weld a square pad with stud to the large square terminal.

Reactions: Dzl
Not sure if the fuzzy pic is of a Lishen cell or a CATL cell, but they are the same terminal.
This is not a 272ah cell, but it is the same shape terminal with the stud welded on.
As for the rest. I will discuss it with the supplier that does these all the time when they get into work tonight.

Attachments

• stud2.jpg
    stud2.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 49
  • stud3.jpg
    stud3.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 47
If I was buying them I would be concerned about the surface area of the flange. It doesn't matter to me if they do it all the time or not....lol.

It's my own observation and might not be anything to be concerned about. Since having studs welded is an option the buyers can decide. Thanks.

If I was buying them I would be concerned about the surface area of the flange. It doesn't matter to me if they do it all the time or not....lol.

It's my own observation and might not be anything to be concerned about. Since having studs welded is an option the buyers can decide. Thanks.
True, but I get a lot of new members asking me questions, and I want to make sure that when I make a recommendation it is based on the best information I can get. You know me well enough to know that the technical aspects are not my strength, and so I depend on information gleaned from others and I am constantly trying to learn more.

Back