diy solar

diy solar

Cell prices coming down

Depends on how the connections are made. In a factory with an automated bus bar welder, multiple, less expensive cells may make sense. If you have to make all the connections by hand on a DIY project then single large cells make more sense.
This is the diy battery sub forum, I don’t think any of us are using automated bus bar welders
I still don’t know that buying 3x the volume of 100ah cells, shipping, packaging, and assembling would be cheaper than 1/3 as many cells that are 3x the capacity even with automation. Because there’s still 3x the welding and 100ah cells don’t typically list for 1/4-1/5 the cost of 305ah cells

This is the diy battery sub forum, I don’t think any of us are using automated bus bar welders
I still don’t know that buying 3x the volume of 100ah cells, shipping, packaging, and assembling would be cheaper than 1/3 as many cells that are 3x the capacity even with automation. Because there’s still 3x the welding and 100ah cells don’t typically list for 1/4-1/5 the cost of 305ah cells
My comment was in response to what @Brucey posted regarding Trophy using multiple lower capacity cells. Trophy is certainly NOT made up of a bunch of DIY'ers. I was simply stating that in a HIGH PRODUCTION FACTORY setting its possible if they got a super great deal on the smaller cells and automated the process it would possibly be less expensive for them and I stand by that statement. Has nothing to do with us DIY'ers.

This ends it for me. Not sure why a mundane issue like this has to be taken out of context and turned into a pissing match.

My comment was in response to what @Brucey posted regarding Trophy using multiple lower capacity cells. Trophy is certainly NOT made up of a bunch of DIY'ers. I was simply stating that in a HIGH PRODUCTION FACTORY setting its possible if they got a super great deal on the smaller cells and automated the process it would possibly be less expensive for them and I stand by that statement. Has nothing to do with us DIY'ers.

This ends it for me. Not sure why a mundane issue like this has to be taken out of context and turned into a pissing match.
No pissing match intended, it appeared as though you were replying to me, your reference to the welding in regards to trophy makes sense to me! I just didn’t connect those dots on the prior page.
?

Cost per Wh with larger cells is less than smaller cells (purely based on cell cost).
It's getting close tho. Using 18650 for pricing, Eve 105Ah at $39, 304Ah at $109. The pricing for shipping wasn't that much more for the 48 cell 105Ahs either.

Doesn't seem long ago Eve 105Ah was $60 and the 304Ah $130 or so. The 105Ah seems to have dropped down much more percentage wise.

It's getting close tho. Using 18650 for pricing, Eve 105Ah at $39, 304Ah at $109. The pricing for shipping wasn't that much more for the 48 cell 105Ahs either.

Doesn't seem long ago Eve 105Ah was $60 and the 304Ah $130 or so. The 105Ah seems to have dropped down much more percentage wise.

Sure, I was talking direct prices from the manufacturer at this point. Those smaller cells are being phased out - EVE already released a 560Ah cell.

I don’t know if it’s symptomatic of the race to the bottom in lifepo4 cell prices this year, or just rogue sellers listing vapour products at tempting prices, but I’m seeing 280Ah cells approaching the $50 mark on Alibaba now.

Such as https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/HX-EU-Stock-3-2v-280ah_1601004700313.html ($58)

Or…. https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/REPT-3-2v-280ah-Battery-Lifepo4_1601016004614.html ($50)

Probably many others as I only took a quick look. Probably we should only pay attention to prices including shipping and verified by forum members who have received real product, but it’s interesting nonetheless!

It's normal. Directly from EVE is at 70 USD already.
There’s really a price crash ongoing this year then. I wonder where the bottom will be found?

It also must be challenging times for the resellers when the value of the stock they hold is continually declining. You would surely end up having to sell at less than you purchased for, since they must buy large batches to be able to obtain enough discount to make a profit when selling on. I wonder how many resellers will go bust during these market conditions.

Last edited:
There’s really a price crash ongoing this year then. I wonder where the bottom will be found?

CATL expects to go to 56 US$ per kWh this year.

I wonder how many resellers will go bust during these market conditions.

I expect quite a few, especially those who can't turn around their inventory fast enough, or don't have a JIT pipeline.

At present there is an over production glut for several companies. As a result there is a fair amount of New Old Stock sitting in warehouses that "have to move" and their prices are dropping. Several smaller Battery Companies have either folded or been absorbed by the bigger companies in China, the whole marketspace is shifting. Add to that, the fact that CATL, BYD, EVE, and a few others are also expanding into Sodium quickly, so that also has a knock on effect as those facilities come online.

The old rule still applies:
IF it sounds Too Good to be True, it LIKELY IS !
Brokers are flogging all kinds of "stuff" at bargain basement prices and that makes tings a bit tricky. Best Advice is to stick to Well Known Good & Reliable Vendors/Suppliers and always avoid those "once in a lifetime special deals just for you".

Best Advice is to stick to Well Known Good & Reliable Vendors/Suppliers and always avoid those "once in a lifetime special deals just for you".
But don't be afraid to use those low ball prices to get a better deal off the good/reliable suppliers, just don't expect them to be matched.

Naturally the cell prices are falling...that is clearly because I got all my cells and packs built already.. .:fp2
Of Course that is how it always happens. Not just batteries either, Dag Nabbit !
Goodness me, I saw an advert for NoNameBrand 280AH for $35usd - RUN forest RUN !!!
I expect we will also be seeing a lot of SHLOCK FLOGGING in short order...
BUYERS BEWARE ! - Engage Common Sense & Critical Thinking.

C'mon, you have space for one more!

/We need help
Solar & Battery Addiction 12 Step Program is commencing.
Hi My name is Steve, I have been using Solar with Batteries for over a decade now. I am out of control and can't help myself from upgrading & expanding my independence & freedom.
... ... ...

You need to consider opportunity benefit, I bought some panels at £55 ea in 2022 and some in late 2035 at £35 but in the 18 months those £55 panels made more than £20 of electricity ea so the dropping price has had no effect other than I had no room for the £35 until now. So putting off purchases as the prices are going down does not always save you money as long as you use it as you buy them. I have some aging Lead acid, this year is going to be my replace them with lithium year but not just yet ;) .

I don’t know if it’s symptomatic of the race to the bottom in lifepo4 cell prices this year, or just rogue sellers listing vapour products at tempting prices, but I’m seeing 280Ah cells approaching the $50 mark on Alibaba now.

Such as https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/HX-EU-Stock-3-2v-280ah_1601004700313.html ($58)

Or…. https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/REPT-3-2v-280ah-Battery-Lifepo4_1601016004614.html ($50)

Probably many others as I only took a quick look. Probably we should only pay attention to prices including shipping and verified by forum members who have received real product, but it’s interesting nonetheless!
I'd be leary of those stores, I see no feedback.

I still think as of today the cheapest "safe" option is the 280ah Battero Tech from Gobel, shipped from China.

C'mon, you have space for one more!

/We need help
I do, actually, on the last expansion I built enough room to fit another pack...for 114kWh total. Testing my resolve I see!
Solar & Battery Addiction 12 Step Program is commencing.
"I can stop anytime I want to"....NOT!

Although I have a few other projects in mind: convert old lawn tractor to run on LFP, change parts of my firewood processing equipment to electric, change the sawmill to electric motor, build a 3/4 Ton pickup E-conversion...ya know a few more cells required!!! (perfect time for cell prices to come down).

Back