diy solar

diy solar

center tapping a serial battery string

That's an interesting way to go about it. But I would be concerned that the SCC's wouldn't evenly charge. But I guess that it would just limit the capacity of the whole bank. As long as it wasn't the same one always being the low one. The lifespan may even out.
My experience is that this method works more effectively. Every single system I’ve seen that uses “drop in” 12v batteries in series requires periodic individual charging of the individual batteries to maintain overall capacity. (This also applies to 48V rack style or DIY in parallel).

Using individual chargers for each battery means that they maintain equality of charge over the life of the system.

The SCC’s don’t have to evenly charge every time - over a long period the batteries will always stay close, and if one is weaker than the other it will still receive the full charge it can without effecting the other.

If you think that’s an interesting concept you’ll love the new system I’m building!

My experience is that this method works more effectively. Every single system I’ve seen that uses “drop in” 12v batteries in series requires periodic individual charging of the individual batteries to maintain overall capacity. (This also applies to 48V rack style or DIY in parallel).

Using individual chargers for each battery means that they maintain equality of charge over the life of the system.

The SCC’s don’t have to evenly charge every time - over a long period the batteries will always stay close, and if one is weaker than the other it will still receive the full charge it can without effecting the other.
Yeah, I'm against series connecting BMS controlled batteries. Because of the additional maintenance for them. But, I see some benefit of that design.
Parallel takes care of itself.
If you think that’s an interesting concept you’ll love the new system I’m building!
Intriguing

Folks,
So from a strict voltage standpoint, if I had two 12V batteries in parallel, the pos to neg connection is at 12V relative to ground.
If I had a small intermittent 12Vload, what are the dangers / downsides of feeding those loads from the battery bank center?
Certainly, if a large long-term load was feed this way the 0-12 volt battery would be out of balance relative to the 12V - 24V battery.
Would this imbalance eventually clear / stabilize during a series of charge discharge cycles? Or would it slowly get worse.
Thanks

One wire on + terminal at one end with another wire connected to - in the center and reversed configuration from the other end of the battery creating 2 12v circuits. That avoids the unbalanced situation and the need for DC to DC converter. So, what could I kill like this? It shouldn't (just guessing, I have no clue if this is correct) matter how many cells/batteries.

Back