diy solar

diy solar

CES 2024 Coverage

Here's the pebble flow ev trailer we saw from the show. I was surprised there wasn't any major solar companies there. Some solar generators where there but nothing major.

I walked through it too, super nice and polished, it certainly should be though for 100K. It had some really wide tires for a trailer, probably to avoid going to double axle. They said it had a 1kW array on the roof.

Last edited:
I walked through it too, super nice and polished, it certainly should be though for 100K. It had some really wide tires for a trailer, probably to avoid going to double axle. They said it had a 1kW array on the roof.
It's a cool setup.
The wide tires also help with traction, I would suspect.
Being self propelled, is what got my attention.

Most things at ces are non-functional unfortunately. The flying cars are always there and I never see them operating during or after the show. Very unfortunate.

Your dreams have been answered! It is an EV, too! ?️?:love:

They told me the motor assist is only for self-parking/hitching, and for starting assistance up to 10mph, where it goes into freewheel. It did look heavy for its size.
When it was first introduced. It was supposed to propel itself, behind the EV towing vehicle.
To not lesson the towing vehicles range.
Maybe they have had some trouble making it work.
If that's out of the plans, now.
It's not that interesting anymore, to me.

When it was first introduced. It was supposed to propel itself, behind the EV towing vehicle.
To not lesson the towing vehicles range.
Maybe they have had some trouble making it work.
If that's out of the plans, now.
It's not that interesting anymore, to me.
It looked very cheap and lots of weight reduction. Seemed nice but just have a feeling they're cutting corners to keep it single axle. Almost didn't feel real, like just a prototype for VC funding.

One thing that stuck out was the cooktop was labeled their brand and not a real company. Bed was Murphy so didn't see and idk where the fridge/microwave/heat was

It looked very cheap and lots of weight reduction. Seemed nice but just have a feeling they're cutting corners to keep it single axle. Almost didn't feel real, like just a prototype for VC funding.

One thing that stuck out was the cooktop was labeled their brand and not a real company. Bed was Murphy so didn't see and idk where the fridge/microwave/heat was

Agree. Every surface had a thick polished heavy lacquered look to it to me, was kind of strange seeming. I think the cooktop was induction at least. They probably scraped the label off something else and stuck their own on. I didn’t look too close at the name on it and did not notice that.

Actually, the pebble is not the one that I was interested in.

Actually, the pebble is not the one that I was interested in.

WOW
Sandy seems to like it.
I always thought the best way not to lose EV truck range pulling a trailer, was add the range with the trailer itself.
They didn't say a word about the cost, but maybe they don't know yet.
Guess I gotta keep working, put aside a few bucks, lol.
Thanks to posting this @timselectric ! (y) (y)

Actully the two delivery trucks were interesting to me. For urban delivery this seems like such a no-brainer, I think the demand would be there if they could get a reasonable product to market.

Actully the two delivery trucks were interesting to me. For urban delivery this seems like such a no-brainer, I think the demand would be there if they could get a reasonable product to market.
Do you mean something like the GM Brightdrop zevo 400/600 cargo vans?

Would they be competing with Rivian and their delivery trucks (initially all for Amazon but now expanding to at&t etc).

Would they be competing with Rivian and their delivery trucks (initially all for Amazon but now expanding to at&t etc).
I expect they will, once they start shipping these. GM has a few years head-start with the Brightdrop Zevo600, which they showed off in Vagas in 2021, and started shipping in 2022.
From Will's photos, looks like Kia will have a product in this segment, and Ford has the E-Transit. Lots of smaller players like Canoo? But GM have the expertise, financing and the distribution all covered already in the commercial segment. I read the Zevo already has 30+ commercial clients lined up (Walmart, Hertz, DHL, Purolator, UPS, Ryder, various Airlines, many others) with standing orders for thousands of these trucks. First to market and fastest roll-out could win the segment, at least initially. Will be interesting to see how these trucks stand up to daily use, and various weather conditions around N.America.

Last edited:
Will be interesting to see how these trucks stand up to daily use, and various weather conditions around N.America.
This is important IMNSHO. Everybody wants the EV to be a be-all,end-all replacement for todays vehicles, it's just ludicrous. But we need to get some actual vehicles out there doing this work so we can evaluate the efficacy. There is a reason Lady Lake FL has a million electric golf carts, dolled up in various configurations. Because it makes good sense, is cheap to operate, great for short trips, etc. Everyone complains about DCFC time, when the place electric shines is in the short haul market, where you can plug in overnight. I liked the looks of the KIA.

At 2024 CES, Yoshino announced the B6000 which includes 240 volt output and uses solid-state batteries. Their older 120v B4000 seems to be well received in reviews although Will hasn't looked at Yoshino yet. I've been waiting for 240v since I don't want to gang together two 120v units. And although more expensive than a DIY 240v setup using a 240v inverter (the new 6kW EG4) and rack-mount batteries, this B6000 actually fits better into my home's setup since I need something for my 120v full-size refrigerator, something for my 240v well pump, and something for my 240v backup window air-conditioner (if the house power goes out I lose by main heat pump 240v 50a unit; hence the backup window unit). I had considered a whole house system, transfer switch, critical loads panel, new breaker panel, etc. but having 3 separate portable units is fine for me and those are the critical loads that I care about.
1706464194721.png
Here is a nice video of portable power stations by Jasonoid from 2024 CES (Yoshino starts at 11:50)

and here is the corresponding Yoshino announcement page:

and there is a link on that page to their spec sheet.

The Yoshino B6000 is 6000 Watts, 4730 Wh, 120/240v output, 4 kW solar charging, 1.8 kW AC charging. It appears to still be in development.

Scott

I looked around and found some additional info on the Yoshino. This link is a tear down from TechInsights on a the small Yoshino unit that says that these appear to be pouch cells, they are wet, and the energy density is only consistent with non-solid state batteries. And they Xray it before they open it up to reveal 4 pouch cells, then they open open one of the pouches.

Hum...

Scott

The excavator looked interesting. Currently, when my JD850 ELC needs fuel, I bring my fuel tank in the quarry and fill it full of diesel. Back up and running in 10 minutes.

How do you charge that battery powered excavator? And I wonder how long. Or is it some kind of hybrid?

edit found a web page on it

Last edited:
The excavator looked interesting. Currently, when my JD850 ELC needs fuel, I bring my fuel tank in the quarry and fill it full of diesel. Back up and running in 10 minutes.

How do you charge that battery powered excavator? And I wonder how long. Or is it some kind of hybrid?

edit found a web page on it
They had a skid steer that some guy was remote controlling it at CES but actually was in Atlanta apparently. They let me drive it but was just the simulation. Was pretty sweet.

They had a whole video on how energy is created and stored but I just wanted my stamp to get free goodies. I think they have some portable power box that charges it

They had a skid steer that some guy was remote controlling it at CES but actually was in Atlanta apparently. They let me drive it but was just the simulation. Was pretty sweet.

They had a whole video on how energy is created and stored but I just wanted my stamp to get free goodies. I think they have some portable power box that charges it
Be great if it had 2 batteries, one charging as one is being used.

Be great if it had 2 batteries, one charging as one is being used.
I can't find the link but the chargers for the big commercial electric units I've seen have a big caterpillar engine combined with battery and inverter. This way the diesel only needs to run occasionally and at a higher load to maximize efficiency.

Sort of like this but much larger:

Back