diy solar

diy solar

Charge Controller size for a 2000W system

scott harris

I am a bit confused by the max wattage recommendations for a charge controller for a 2000w 24v system. In Will's blueprints it shows one EPEVER 40a CC and also states that it can be used with 400-2000w of solar panels. The Charge controller section of this website shows that the 40 amp EPEVER can be used with up to 1040 watts of panels, and the amazon page states 1200 Watts.

So I am left scratching my head as to how large of a solar array can be safely connected to a 40 amp EPEVER.

Any help will be much appreciated.

With 24v setup, it can output 1040W in low light situations, 2000 watts of panels would put out less than 1000 watts, that is likely what was meant.

The Epever will simply not draw any more than 40 amps off the solar array, and will not provide any more than 40 amps to the battery. You could put 3kW of panels on the epever so long as the Voc does not exceed the controller's rating. Most of the production of the array will be thrown away as it will soon rise to the maximum the epever can carry in terms of amps as the sun rises.

OK. I think I understand now. This must be what is meant by over-paneling that I read elsewhere on this forum.

So if I connect 2000 watts of solar panels to a battery through a 24v 40a charge controller in an effort to generate 1000 watts in a low light conditions, where does the excess power go when there is full sun? Is it dissipated in the panels, or the charge controller? Can I expect one or the other (or both) to get hot? Maybe dangerously hot?

Thanks,

Scott

This was covered in another thread recently. The panels get a bit hotter but that's it.

1.2 times the max output of the controller is a good baseline. My 15A morningstar mppt controller kinda squeals like a pig under good light charging a 12v battery with 223W pushing on it....

1582491324475.png
This the one I assume your working from at this webpage: https://www.mobile-solarpower.com/2000-watt-24v-solar-system.html

As Will shows it and lists the parts, it shows 1000W of panels in series for this controller, which is set for a 24V battery system and 2000W inverter. The 40A Solar Control can handle up to 150VDC in This 40 amp MPPT Solar Panel Charger works with 600W Solar Panel on 12V Battery System and 1200W on 24V Battery. Max Solar Panel 1560W. info from the amazon page for the 40A model below. Manufacturers continually update products and have version changes. Always default to the manufacturers information & documentation for particular models. Even if they look the same, there can be subtle & not so subtle differences. There are higher amperage Solar Controllers which will also handle more panel voltage but the costs start to climb as fast as the capacities of the controllers.

Back