diy solar

diy solar

Charge controller

Not in my case.

All controllers run the same charge parameters. The PWM tends to do most of the work and the MPPT's pick up the slack if needed.
It’s not the charge parameters.
Some folks’ mppts don’t read the max power point consistently well with certain pwms pulsing.
In your case you probably have better equipment or just run-of-luck your equipment- like most people’s apparently- doesn’t notice anything.

I think there’s enough here to avoid this listing.

The linked panels are smaller than Renogy’s 100 watt panels. I would expect them to actually be 100 watts, and no bigger.

Renogy’s size:
(1219 x 546 x 2 mm)

OP’s panel:

)1200 X 540)
They are advertised as 2x300 panels I have to request for actual specs if they don’t supply them I will return them to check Amperage do I have to have a load on it

Don’t need a load to test panel amperage. Amperage is dependent on sunshine. My panels are just shy meet or exceed Isc when it’s noon and directed at the sun. As there is less sun, less amps.

To do this test, you can do with a multimeter, but most have a 10 amp fuse so are good with 100 watt panels. I have a 175 watt panel that puts out 11 amps, so I’d needs a clamp ammeter for that.

Tho is the advertised panels
Don’t need a load to test panel amperage. Amperage is dependent on sunshine. My panels are just shy meet or exceed Isc when it’s noon and directed at the sun. As there is less sun, less amps.

To do this test, you can do with a multimeter, but most have a 10 amp fuse so are good with 100 watt panels. I have a 175 watt panel that puts out 11 amps, so I’d needs a clamp ammeter for that.
thanks I have a clap on meter, I am retired now but I did HVAC and appliance repair for 50 years just not familiar with batteries and solar panels

Attachments

• 3E2F91E8-438C-4425-AD8F-B91D1469D65F.png
    3E2F91E8-438C-4425-AD8F-B91D1469D65F.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
Thanks I’ll return them

where be the place to buy them
Amazon is one place, as well as Signature Solar, and ANY local commercial installer that might have 250-350W panels leftover. The 250W range seems to be the low price right now. Somebody scored 250W panels on amazone recently for a price not much more than 100W panels. $139??
100W panels are like $90 each right now

The flexpanel kits are usually 20- 50% more than rigid panels last I looked.
This seems inexpensive: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LY02BOA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_HWM8WA9W3BQ8HN30TMB4

I couldn’t find the 250 panels

This one has a disposable charge controller but it comes with some useful stuff that makes these worth it

Last edited:
Why's that?
I would hope that a more expensive piece of equpment with better voltagechargoing algorithm would not be outdone by a PWM. Basically spend a lot of money on a piece of equipment which boasts better charhing, I expect it not to be outdone. Differet sized arrays could change it.

If the voltages were set different, I could see how something like that could happen. If the voltage for a PWM charger was set to 29.5 and the MPPT 27.6, I’d understand why the PWM would push more power to the battery than the MPPT.

I would hope that a more expensive piece of equpment with better voltagechargoing algorithm would not be outdone by a PWM. Basically spend a lot of money on a piece of equipment which boasts better charhing, I expect it not to be outdone. Differet sized arrays could change it.

If the voltages were set different, I could see how something like that could happen. If the voltage for a PWM charger was set to 29.5 and the MPPT 27.6, I’d understand why the PWM would push more power to the battery than the MPPT.

Mppt can regulate current. PWM cannot.

Back