diy solar

diy solar

Charging Delta Pros from Inverter Generator (Firman WHO3242)

GrtLks

I bought two Delta Pros and Extra Batteries for each and have been getting to know them the last couple of days. Today I tried to charge them using a Firman WHO3242 Inverter Generator (3,000 running watts on propane) and the Delta Pro charging circuits would not start. Other items plugged into the Firman operated normally, small table lamps and a radio, so I know the outlets on the Firman were operating, but cannot figure out why the Delta Pros would not charge. I have an email out to EcoFlow but any ideas, or can anyone confirm that they have successfully charged Delta Pros with an Inverter Generator?

Thanks for your reply!

No. I tried both units. Both were turned off and not connected to their extra batteries. The first time I tried to charge, I used an extension cord to the house from the generator, which was outside on the driveway. It didn't charge, so I rolled one of the Delta Pros out to the driveway to directly connect the EcoFlow charging cable between generator and Delta Pro. No charge. Did the same with the other unit, also no charge.

I double checked the plugs on the generator with a lamp and both worked perfectly. The read out on the Firman also noted normal operation.

I sent a message tp EcoFlow and they responded by saying that if a generator uses an inverter and outputs less than 8% THD, charging should work. I'm perplexed.

I'll discharge both Delta Pros tonight to 40% or so and then try again tomorrow. I'm new to all of this stuff and have been drinking from a firehose as I learn about batteries, charging, generators, etc.

When I did a Google search on Delta Pro not charging, there were a lot of results. Some people were successful after a firmware upgrade. Some people returned their units as defective. I looked into two Delta Pros about 6 months ago, but decided against it due to all the complaints. I ended up getting four 48V rack mount batteries (20kWh) and a 12k LF inverter to use as backup power for my house instead (for not much more than the cost of 2 Delta Pros).

backup_setup2a.jpeg

Are off-grid or you also have utility?
Is this the first time you try to charge it with generator?
If you have utility, does it get charged OK?

I'm on-grid and these units charge like champs from AC wall power. They also scale their input based on input in the EcoFlow app, so I can choose to charge from the wall at 1800W or lower, and I'm presently charging at the rate of 400W. Firmware is updated on both units.

One thing I failed to note in earlier posts is that when I first plugged in each unit to the generator, they each powered on and the LCD screens came on, but then there was never a click and an input wattage on the screen. So, the units received 'something' in the way of juice from the generator but never charged.

One thing I'm going to try tomorrow is to set the charge rate on each at something low, like 200W, to see if that triggers the charging circuit to come on, and also try setting it to max charge (1800W) and see if either makes a difference. I also ordered another small 2000W inverter generator that outputs 1500W to see if the one I have is not right somehow.

I'll also reach out to EcoFlow again if that second inverter generator fails to charge these units. I struggle to understand why these units would 'see' difference between the AC coming from the wall and the 'clean' AC coming from the inverters on a generator, but then again I'm not the brightest bulb!

I have charged my Delta Pro with my Honda inverter generator while the generator was also powering the house with no issues.
One thing I failed to note in earlier posts is that when I first plugged in each unit to the generator, they each powered on and the LCD screens came on, but then there was never a click and an input wattage on the screen. So, the units received 'something' in the way of juice from the generator but never charged.
Could this be something with the pass through mode? What is your current setting on the Ecoflow app under your unit > Settings > Lab Features > AC Always on. Help says: "If this switch is on, the AC power button will be turned on automatically after the power is back. If switched off, you will need to turn on the AC power button manually."

When I tried to charge with the Firman Inverter Generator WHO3242, there were no other cables connected to the Delta Pros other than the OEM EcoFlow AC charging cord, plugged from the AC out on the generator to the AC charging port on the DP units. The AC Always On was not enabled in the app.

The AC out on the generator was working as noted by its indicators and a table lamp lit when plugged into the generator outlets. I'm going to try another Inverter Generator in coming days to rule out some sort of generator issue (??). I'm also going to try different charging rates, set from the EcoFlow app, to see whether that makes a difference. If I still cannot get the Delta Pros to charge from a generator, I'll contact EcoFlow and pursue the issue with their customer support.

Is there any technical reason these two units would charge without any problem from a wall socket, at multiple rates as set in the app, but not charge from functioning AC outputs on an Inverter Generator? I'm REALLY hoping there is something to do with the generator and not the DP units, or that I'm simply missing some setting in the app.

Oh well. Learning is occurring.

Follow up post. I borrowed a small 1500W inverter generator (A-iPower SUA2000iD) and it charged the Delta Pros with no issues. I started at very low charging rate (200W) and was able to ramp it up to the full 1500W per the running spec of the generator. I've seen plenty of posts since I joined here about how finicky chargers can be with generators and I've experienced it firsthand. I returned the Firman and have bought the little A-iPower on sale on amazon for about half what the Firman cost.

As it turns out, for my use case, a very small inverter generator is probably my best solution for now. In learning more about the Delta Pros used in combination with the EcoFlow Smart Home Panel (which will hopefully be installed in the next week), if I find myself charging them from a generator in a pinch, without adding some sort of transfer switch and inlet on the exterior of my house, I'll need to disconnect one set of Delta Pro/extra batteries at a time (I'm going 120V, not 240 for the SHP install) from the SHP to charge from the generator, while the other carries the house load. The Delta Pro can take 1800W while AC charging, so the little 1500W A-iPower seems like a decent match because it's small, easy to carry, can run on propane, and should be able to add 4KWh to both 'sides' of the Delta Pro system (8KWh, about what my plan says I'll use during grid-down situations per day) in about 5 1/2 hours.

Anyway, that's lots of likely non-germane info for readers, but I'm happy to have found a solution for backing up the backup that will allow me to extend in grid-down situations. I'm pretty sure my neighbors won't love 5+ hours of generator buzz, but that's a lot better than 24 hours per day of Generac screaming away!

Me too. The Firman units get great reviews and the WHO3242 was really nicely made. I wish it would have worked out but truth is that the smaller generator is probably a better fit for my needs, and lighter to carry. I have a 100ft 10ga extension cord on the way to test whether I can run a very long cord from the generator on the deck to the units in the basement for recharging. If the charging works well from the extension cord, I'll consider hard-wiring a weather-proof external intake at the deck that terminates at a receptacle in the basement next to where the Delta Pros will live. I also a silicone mat and EVA isolation feet coming to isolate the generator from the deck. Last, I'm going to fashion a styrofoam tunnel I can place over the generator to keep the neighbors from wanting to murder me when I have to run the thing.

I'm installing a Smart Home Panel (SHP) for the Delta Pros on Saturday. Once everything is up and working I'll make a post about how it's doing.

BTW, did you check the generator AC outlet Voltage between L & G, N & G of the Firman and this Ai-Power?

BTW, did you check the generator AC outlet Voltage between L & G, N & G of the Firman and this Ai-Power?
No I didn't. The Firman had a digital readout and everything read as operating normally. The A-iPower has no read out, only a little LED that comes on when it has stabilized and is ready to send power. If I knew more I would have checked the outputs on the Firman before giving up on it but as it turned out the small generator was a better fit for my needs anyway.

I need to educate myself about these topics, no doubt.

I am looking to see if the output of the Firman or the Ai-Power are floating output or not, that is why I ask about Voltage between L and Gnd, N and Gnd, we know that L and N is OK.

Back