diy solar

diy solar

Coffee Maker

My wife wouldn't go camping/travel unless she had her K-cup coffee. I didn't want to run a generator for one cup of coffee so I found a portable k-cup coffee make "MyJo" and a tea kettle. Water boils quickly on the stove and the one cup coffee maker works flawlessly. We have been using it for several years. Easily available online from Walmart or Amazon. Super inexpensive at $19 for the MyJo and $7-10 for the tea kettle.

Attachments

• MyJo.JPG
    MyJo.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 2
  • tea kettle.JPG
    tea kettle.JPG
    26.5 KB · Views: 2
Reading some of these post I need to slow my coffee consumption, 2 pots from the Mr Coffee 12 cup maker. Making it even at 28% SOC. Thank the coffee gods for solar and lfp. o_O:coffee:o_O

This is my typical draw from my 24v battery thru a Samlex 2000w ps inverter when making one 12cup pot for 10min on a Black&decker machine.

6C4AD885-B8DE-4AE6-B88F-AD7EE8322916.jpeg

If you are running it off of batteries, my decion would be based on kWhs per cup. The only thing that would influence that would be inverter capacity.

kWhs per cup and cost of the equipment needed to get you there. The more I added it up for me, the less it made sense. Bigger battery, more solar panels, larger SCC, bigger wire going to a bigger inverter. It's a no brainier. 30 buck MyJo and some propane and your coffee is made in about 5 minutes. :p:coffee:(y)

Full disclosure. I am not affiliated with MyJo or any brand of tea kettle. :cool:

So, you use cold water?
In the winter we keep a pot of water on the wood stove. When there is not a fire going we heat the water on the stove. I guess some folks may drink their coffee cold but I'm not a fan, and you need to have the water at least 180 to get the oil to release from the beans.

If you walk to the LCS (Local Coffee Shop) it doesn't require any battery power.
whatever2.gif

Low power coffee maker. Saves a lot of KWh per cup of coffee:
View attachment 31438
We already have a stove top Coleman coffee maker.
Takes 20+ minutes to make a pot of coffee.
We were just hoping to have a "luxury" with a 9 minute pot instead.

Our system isn't quite there yet, but close.
Right now we're just using that coffee maker when we're using the generator.

a stove top Coleman coffee maker.
Takes 20+ minutes to make a pot of coffee.
What exactly is a “stovetop coffee maker?”

I use a 600W Hamilton Beach every day for five minutes
My stainless steel percolator perks in ?10? minutes.

At 20 minutes coffee is already stale.

That’s similar to the farberware percolator and the really old one I have except mine are 7-cup.

I just wondered what the
stove top Coleman coffee maker
was cuz internet search doesn’t come up with one. Just a percolator.

There is this for apparently 600W but some say 400W https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N7853IC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_NHVG3Y3CP6S663P3AF2G and For 650W snd quick brew according to reviews: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008YS1WXE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_E8E8J27M07PY6299W69E

Here is what I have ,it uses 0 power I cook it on this little stove at the table .
the stove makes the perfect flame ? brews the coffee with just the right amount of heat .
I had to bend the wings in a little so the pot sits on it .
I buy denatured alcohol at home Depto in the paint department by the gallon .
I use less then a oz for 3 cups of coffee , it take about 3 min for a cup .
I just use chok full of nuts coffe 2 tea spoons .
The dam thing makes good coffee .
I use one at home allso .
9123F8DE-D248-4CB6-A985-8AB9E63AB9CC.jpeg0AE0390B-A37A-4C77-8F4F-CE04EF984AD9.jpeg

Sorry I'm late chiming in here. Didn't notice the thread.

Our off-grid cabin has been that way for over 40 years, and we've only had solar for the past 4.5 years. We've struggled through using percolators and vacuum pots for years. Both are a mess and very difficult to clean. Meanwhile, an old style Mr. Coffee is really easy to clean: Throw out the filter with the grounds, and you are mostly done.

So what I'm looking for may be different than others here. I'm not trying to find a low-wattage drip machine. We have a coal / wood cook stove, and a propane stove. I just want something that I can use on a heat source (like a propane stove) that works through a coffee filter and so can be cleaned up easily. Surely something like that exists, right?

I did buy a pour-through pot that takes a normal coffee filter and allows us to just pour hot water through ground coffee in a filter. We have only tried it once, but it made the weakest coffee I have ever had. (I like really strong coffee, by the way)

Is there something else out there??

Back