diy solar

diy solar

Cold Weather protection?

Lou Schneider

Will, when you test batteries for cold temperature charging protection, do you verify that the cold sensor is just cutting off the charging current or is it disconnecting the whole battery like the high temperature sensor does? I know my Lion Safari UT1300s will continue to produce power when the cold temperature sensor inhibits the charging current, but what about other brands like the Weize?

Unless you're willing to destroy a battery to get to the sensors, Youtube reviews are your friend. Many batteries with low temp protection will just cut the charging but still let you draw off them, but there are exceptions to every rule so do some research before dropping the cash.

Unless you're willing to destroy a battery to get to the sensors, Youtube reviews are your friend. Many batteries with low temp protection will just cut the charging but still let you draw off them, but there are exceptions to every rule so do some research before dropping the cash.
Right, I know that. When I watch Will's teardown videos he immerses the sensor in cold water and sees if the charging current cuts off. My question is does he also test if the battery still produces power when the cold temperature sensor activates or does it disconnect the whole battery like the high temperature sensor does?

It would be less expensive for a manufacturer to add a cold temperature sensor in parallel (series?) with a high temperature cutoff sensor on an existing BMS instead of redesigning the whole BMS.

Last edited:
I just came across this thread.
Not to be a dick, make it easier for others (me at least) to understand by using more accurate terminology thanks.
Batteries don't 'produce' power.
They simply charge/discharge

I just came across this thread.
Not to be a dick, make it easier for others (me at least) to understand by using more accurate terminology thanks.
Batteries don't 'produce' power.
They simply charge/discharge

If you wanna be REALLY accurate:

Batteries convert electric energy to chemical energy when charging.

And then convert chemical energy back to electric energy when discharging.

Back