Common Daly BMS problems?

Just John

Photon Sorcerer
I'm starting this thread to help people figure out some of the most common Daly BMS problems.
Please feel free to add additional solutions. First I'm going to copy a post I've already made, with some additions.

12v "Smart" BMS:
Daly_USB_Reset.jpg

24v "Smart" BMS lightboard:
Daly_24v_lightboard_connector.jpg

Daly_24v_connector_BMS.jpg

For the 12v model, you can easily make a reset button:

For the 24v model:

Edit to add some additional information others have found:

New Bluetooth dongle with reset switch:

Current Connected has a webpage and video on the topic:

cruiser711

After having experienced this and having seen a few similar posts it appears that some DALY BMS show charging current as -ve and discharging current as +ve on the bluetooth ap. Not sure if this is a firmware issue or if there is a fix and whether or not this could cause any issues.

JIMMY

Solar Journeyman
Does anyone know the trick to resetting the AH Capacity in some DALY BMS? Half of mine work fine. Some are fine to 50ah then if you set it higher revert to 33.5ah and other odd figures...

Just John

Photon Sorcerer
After having experienced this and having seen a few similar posts it appears that some DALY BMS show charging current as -ve and discharging current as +ve on the bluetooth ap. Not sure if this is a firmware issue or if there is a fix and whether or not this could cause any issues.

That's simply a software setting. Not one you can make, but logically from a software/capacity standpoint, it is indeed a plus current going in, and a negative current going out.

halibut58

Solar Enthusiast
A couple of simple changes to your Daly BMS to potentially improve balancing and also partially improve SOC.

Change hidden sinowealth parameter ‘DfilterCur’ to something reasonable like 200mA – it seems to be typically set much higher I have seen 1A,2A and 3 A! Any current ( in or out) less than this will be changed to 0 (including in bluetooth app). This also means any current in and out, less than this, will not be tracked in the SOC. This will also help with balance.

Especially with the this change:

There is a hidden parameter available in sinowealth called ‘Balance open current’ that must be changed to 0 (or even negative) if you want to balance at low or zero current. It was set to 30mA on mine. Changing this to 0 will give you maximum balance time. To give you even more time, change ‘balance open delay’ to zero. This is minor but helps. This is some kind of hold-off before it decides to balance.

halibut58

Solar Enthusiast
Just A note about the actual balance currents on the Daly BMS:

I am not sure where to post this but for discussion purpose I’ll put it here.

Summary: The balance current on the Daly BMS Is pulsed with a 20% cycle every second or so. On my 100ADaly it is 30mA pulsed and on my 150A Daly it is 60mA. The net current best case balancing therefore is 6mA on the 100A and 12mA on the 150A?

While I had my Daly BMS all over the floor getting confused measuring currents in and out of balance leads I connected my scope to observe the actual signals. This was done with a 4.7Ohm shunt (I know it’s too large, but it kind of works….). And I observed this: (single cell being balanced):
DalyBalanceCurrent1Cell.jpg
This shows 120mV@4.7Ohm, or about 30mA at a 20% duty cycle.

If you connect 2 balance leads with shunt it looks like this (apologies for the AC coupled signal on top, I do not have a differential probe).
DalyBalanceCurrentMostCells.jpg
This shows that the BMS sequences alternating cells – with the associated current in and out. + or -.

If you read this with a DC ammeter you will get many confusing results due to the averaging/pulsing/sign etc. it depends on the meter! If you go to the off grid garage Daly BMS review, you will actually see the volt meter pulsing when one cell is balancing –and apparently giving ‘0’ reading’ when there should be a reading with 2 sequential cells balancing. This is expected from an averaging meter. It will cause a bunch of head scratching as can be seen in the video.

Note:

Berseker

Solar Enthusiast
My daly has started randomly going haywire. The bluetooth dongle.

Until you unplug and replug, it stays like this.
Any tips to get it working?.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220420-152521.jpg
    Screenshot_20220420-152521.jpg
    299.9 KB · Views: 2

Just John

Photon Sorcerer
My daly has started randomly going haywire. The bluetooth dongle.

Until you unplug and replug, it stays like this.
Any tips to get it working?.
Sorry, I got nothing.
I switched to a JBD myself, Daly has too many quality problems.