diy solar

diy solar

Components or Solar Generator?

mtnvagabond

Hello All,

I have a 16ft trailer with current no solar, just the lead acid house battery and a 1000w inverter that I mainly use when I'm boondocking for my computer. I bounce back and forth between spots with power and boondocking. I do have an AC and Microwave in the trailer, that I would like to occasionally use, which is why I want a more extensive system, (200ah lifopro battery, 2000-3000w inverter). So my thoughts are to individual components or get one of the solar generators, (Anker 767, EcoFlow Delta Pro(overkill), and BLUETTI AC200Max) I know there are others, but all those have a 30amp plug that I could plug into. I'm also planning to put a 250w panel on the roof and get a briefcase one as well.
I have concerns about the solar generator being an all-in-one and a single point of failure, which I know is highly unlikely. But I can't get it out of my head. I also live in Nothern Nevada which gets below freezing for a good part of the winter and would worry about the batteries in the trailer, as it's stored in the backyard (i know most of the li batteries now have the ability to have heaters).
I'm not too concerned about cost as I have a budget of $3000, and could do either setup for that. I really like the idea of just getting the solar generator and plugging it into the trailer when I need it, I'm capable of building a component system.

I'm just looking for other people's thoughts and concerns about doing a setup with a solar generator for part-time boondocking.

Thank you in advance.

The generic response when the question comes up about using air conditioning (A/C) in an RV is that you should use an actual generator. To effectively use air conditioning without a generator usually requires a fairly hefty system. Batteries, PV and inverter all have to play well together. The typical rooftop air conditioner draws up to 19 amps from the AC, whether that is the inverter, shore power or a generator.

If the solar generator will even run your air conditioning is one question. How long will it run is the next question. My RV has up to 1280 watts of PV, but that still isn't enough to run air conditioner by itself. My inverter will draw the remaining watts from the battery bank.

Excluding the air conditioning, using a solar generator is a quick and easy way to power the RV. The more you spend to get a bigger unit will let you run larger appliances and for a longer time. 250 watts isn't much, but if you manage your loads it could let you boondock for a few days.

I think the solar generator being a single point of failure is more likely than you think. I would prefer a component system in that size range. The solar generators i think make a lot of sense are the smallest ones because the dollars and effort to piece together such a small system make the turn-key aspect and value per dollar good enough that i'd take my chances on those unless it was something critical like medical equipment while i sleep, etc.

How hard it is to run AC depends on when you plan to do it. I've air conditioned my bedroom and my 23' rv overnight on ~2kwh. But to do it during the day, especially in a poorly insulated box in a hot place, would probably take more solar than you have square feet of roof. If you are ok with generator use for a few hours a day you could potentially get a battery setup that would, in combination with solar, be able to run the AC during the hot part of the day while draining battery, then charge back up with gen for 2-3 hours in evening and run ac totally on battery overnight and be able to recharge partially with solar before 11am, noon or so before turning AC back to 'high' and starting that whole cycle again. Without generator or shore power you'd have to panel that thing to hilt to have a chance of AC working out well.

A microwave is no problem, but you can't get enough solar on the roof of a 16 ft trailer for air conditioning. I've got 2730 watts of panels on a 31ft class C to be able to use the air conditioning.

There's no doubt that "1000's" of any "solar generator" will be bought, at what I think are hugely inflated costs/profit-margins ... but perhaps that matches the ratio of diy to can't-diy folks. Products exist to supply the market demand ...

If you have any diy skills at all, then you'll get way more capacity (and maximum flexibility) out of a diy build vs buying a solar gen. Any problem, such as those you list in OP, can easily be solved w/ diy methods, youtube vid suggestions, etc. It's (mostly) all been done before ...

Unless the dynamic of diy vs buy has changed in this category (?), the only reason I can come up with for buying a solar gen is: "I don't want to diy" ... but then, the second you buy one, you are stuck with the feature set of what you bought. As you learn more about it (after the sale), then you start wondering if that other one is the better choice ...

Solar gen's do look nice, in the glossies ...

Whereas, my "solar atrocity on (hand-truck) wheels" works very well at a fraction of the price and has more capacity, but looks like ...

Luckily, the youtube folks have time (and plenty of mulligans) to do it right *and* make it look good, so you can benefit from that as well, if you choose these days to DIY.

For AC, I've seen reports that a simple (and very portable) Honda 2200 will handle a small efficient AC unit very well. For my own (F350) truck/topper camping build, where AC will definitely be needed in many areas of the country, I hope to take advantage of two characteristics of these gen's:

1. battery-bank capacity means not running the gen more than about 4 hours in 24 (or thereabouts), mostly dedicated to recharge
2. any load not supported by whatever solar capacity is present (available), can be supported by the gen, so (somewhat) infinite loads

(yep ... wife and daughters ... kind've need infinite load capability)

Hope this helps ...

The bigger the solar generator one is considering is, the more likely the success of dollars spent on components will be more joy.

I’d absolutely do the components.

Hello All,

I have a 16ft trailer with current no solar, just the lead acid house battery and a 1000w inverter that I mainly use when I'm boondocking for my computer. I bounce back and forth between spots with power and boondocking. I do have an AC and Microwave in the trailer, that I would like to occasionally use, which is why I want a more extensive system, (200ah lifopro battery, 2000-3000w inverter). So my thoughts are to individual components or get one of the solar generators, (Anker 767, EcoFlow Delta Pro(overkill), and BLUETTI AC200Max) I know there are others, but all those have a 30amp plug that I could plug into. I'm also planning to put a 250w panel on the roof and get a briefcase one as well.
I have concerns about the solar generator being an all-in-one and a single point of failure, which I know is highly unlikely. But I can't get it out of my head. I also live in Nothern Nevada which gets below freezing for a good part of the winter and would worry about the batteries in the trailer, as it's stored in the backyard (i know most of the li batteries now have the ability to have heaters).
I'm not too concerned about cost as I have a budget of $3000, and could do either setup for that. I really like the idea of just getting the solar generator and plugging it into the trailer when I need it, I'm capable of building a component system.

I'm just looking for other people's thoughts and concerns about doing a setup with a solar generator for part-time boondocking.

Thank you in advance.
Thank you all, after doing some more research, I've pretty much decided to do a 48v server rack battery (I'll add a step down to connect to current 12v systems) and an 'all in one' inverter/charger' (MPP Solar, Growatt, or maybe EG4* ) still need to sort out how to integrate it with my trailer, but that'll happen soon.
(* after seeing the number of threads about Signature Solar I'm hesitant.)

I would recommend a diesel heater for heat vs getting heat from batteries. Even if you consider the gas generator a backup plan for an electric heat source, its horrendous to think that whatever heat you get from the electricity your generator makes, it’s blowing 3-4x times that much heat into the air that you’re not capturing. At least with a diesel heater you’re probably capturing more like half the heat. I bought a $100 model and it’s been great. I picked up a few egr coolers from diesel pickups to experiment with capturing some of that exhaust heat into water, too.

As far as 48v inverters im sure you’re planning to run a 120v model anyway but just to be overly cautious and point it out anyway, if you buy a 220-240v model that means you wont be able to use its ac input anywhere near as easily because itll want 220-240v. Fine for a large 4kw+ generator but not easy any other way.

Back