diy solar

diy solar

Connect to Raspberry pi remotely

Neilthurston99

Hello - I have managed to upload Venus OS onto my Raspberry pi 3 and gave myself a big pat on the back when I managed to access Venus by typing local.venus....

However, the build will be over 50km away on a different network and I am struggling to know how to set it up so I can access the remote network and subsequently Venus on the device.

Any guidance would be much appreciated

Register on the victron site and enter the remote code in to the Venus OS then you have cloud access.

Register on the victron site and enter the remote code in to the Venus OS then you have cloud access.
Hello - Thanks for the reply but to register on the Victron site I think I need the serial number of the cerbo device which I don't have as I have the Raspberry pi ?

Am I missing something here or registering on the wrong site ? I tried using the Victron VRM ?

Any guidance would be much appreciated as this is the last piece of the jigsaw

You say 50km away on a different network. So the pi has Internet access?

If so,then the VRM portal ID you need is just the Ethernet address of the pi, without colons. When you 'add' an installation under VRM, choose "Cerbo GX" and it tells you how to look it up on the menus.

For example:

Ethernet address: ab:cd:ef:ab:cd:ef
VRM portal id:abcdefabcdef

Last edited:
You say 50km away on a different network. So the pi has Internet access?

If so,then the VRM portal ID you need is just the Ethernet address of the pi, without colons. When you 'add' an installation under VRM, choose "Cerbo GX" and it tells you how to look it up on the menus.

For example:

Ethernet address: ab:cd:ef:ab:cd:ef
VRM portal id:abcdefabcdef
I think you mean MAC address.

I am using a raspberryPi running Venus OS. I don't remember anything about a serial number, but it has been a few years.
Are you using your raspberry on a local or remote network?

I can access the Venus OS on a local network easily without registration, but, the solar build will be on a remote / different network and I don't know how to access it remotely (from 50km)

Thoughts appreciated and thanks for the response!

When I try to set up my VRM account, it requires me to provide the serial number of the Victron Venus device which I don't have as I am using a raspberry instead.
Are you using your raspberry on a local or remote network?

I can access the Venus OS on a local network easily without registration, but, the solar build will be on a remote / different network and I don't know how to access it remotely (from 50km)

Thoughts appreciated and thanks for the response!

When I try to set up my VRM account, it requires me to provide the serial number of the Victron Venus device which I don't have as I am using a raspberry instead.
Go to your remote console on Venus os in the pi, go to settings, go to vrm online portal and it will show your portal id. That's what you need. Vrm works with raspberry pi

Hi Guys - Thanks for your valuable input, appreciated!

For clarity, the solar build of all Victron devices except the raspberry pi will be installed in my garden shed at my allotment 50 + Km away.

The build will power a SIM card WiFi router.

Using the ethernet ad
Go to your remote console on Venus os in the pi, go to settings, go to vrm online portal and it will show your portal id. That's what you need. Vrm works with raspberry pi
Just read this now - hopefully this will work !

Cheers!

Hi Guys - Thanks for your valuable input, appreciated!

For clarity, the solar build of all Victron devices except the raspberry pi will be installed in my garden shed at my allotment 50 + Km away.

The build will power a SIM card WiFi router.

Using the ethernet ad

Just read this now - hopefully this will work !

Cheers!
Oh so the Venus is is 50km away from the victron components?

Last edited:
The pi/Cerbo normally needs to be local with the Victron gear. (Charge controller, inverter, etc). You can probably dream up ways to make it so remotely, but that is custom/non standard.

Sorry for the confusion

All the gear is in a garden shed hooked upto a SIM card WiFi device.

I need to access everything remotely from my home 50km away.

Well, all Ethernet addresses are mac addresses, but not all mac addresses are Ethernet addresses. If the pi is hardwired to a network, it is probably an Ethernet address. WiFi of course is not Ethernet, but the address is the same format. 😊
Right you are, when I heard Ethernet Address, I assumed IP Address.

Hmm, perhaps zerotier would work to allow serial type protocols over IP to a remote Cerbo/pi running VenusOS. This may work too:

I am not saying that I would do or recommend this, but it would be an interesting experiment, IMHO.

Back