diy solar

diy solar

Crappy CALB SE200 cells - use as is, re-purpose them, or dump them?

rixybix

So I jumped in and bought 16 of these cells from a particular seller on AliExpress based upon some advice from a reliable source, but subsequently learnt of the scams regularly taking place around these cells and the fact they stopped being manufactured quite some time ago. Capacity testing the cells I received revealed that they were well below the 200Ah mark they should have reached, varying from 119Ah up to about 159Ah - essentially all are already below the 80% capacity mark and so likely to drop precipitously in capacity from here on out, based upon my research. Five cells in particular had substantially lower figures than the others, and the difference in serial number ranges for these and the others underscored that variance.

Fortunately, it is looking positive that I will at least successfully recover a portion of the cost through the AliExpress dispute process in the coming days.

My next question though is what to do with these.

A. I could deploy them into my solar system anyway and just get what life out of them that I can, but they will obviously be dragged down by the lowest performing cells in the set.
B. I could arguably replace the 5 worst performing cells with other SE200 cells, but that seems like a bit of a crap shoot in reality - who knows what rubbish will show up the next time around (or maybe actually decent quality cells would show up, rendering ALL of the cells I already have below par anyway - still a better outcome than the likely alternative, mind!)
C. I could buy 5 or 6 160Ah cells of a different make to replace the worst performing cells. Not sure how well mixing cells from different vendors would go though, or the viability of mixing new 160Ah cells with old cells with a similar remaining capacity. I expect the latter will still degrade much faster than the new ones, so the balance would not last long.
D. I could buy a complete second set of cells (different make/model) and place both batteries into service in parallel.
E. I could cut my losses and just put these ones out to pasture altogether.

Would love some sage advice on this matter!

Sorry to hear it...

Unlisted option F. E, but use them for some novelty where reliability isn't a concern.

I would not accept anything but a full refund. Cells not only don't meet spec, they don't meet end-of-life criteria.

You can't count on those cells for any application you might find for them.

@sunshine_eggo thanks for the suggestions there.

Below is where I am at with the dispute at present. It has taken several weeks of capturing video of discharging the cells with a capacity tester to get this far. Each time I submitted a couple of new videos, AliExpress customer support would increase the proposed refund amount a bit, until I have now reached €700 (almost 50% of the original cost). The seller is doing a lot of hand waving and complaining through the process but providing no hard evidence to back their claims of brand new cells and having tested them before dispatch blablabla.

It was only after the final submission that the second row in red in the table below appeared though. I suspect if I could comply with this, I may have a chance of increasing the refund further. However, I have no idea who to turn to or how to acquire such a report. What could help my case though is some hard evidence that the cells in question were manufactured a long time ago, given the supposed discontinuation of manufacture. Google has not been forthcoming with such evidence in my research though so far. I was hoping to get this from another forum user here but am starting to lose hope on that front. Closest I have come so far is this page which talks about CA series cells progressively replacing SE, but it is not clear on timelines sadly.

If anybody can provide a link or some clear evidence of the termination of SE production at CALB, that would be brilliant.

1681503925058.png

Ok, so is that the lesson learned - don't buy from AliExpress?
Seems like the wild west out there. I've heard of "buyer beware" but that's ridiculous!

Currently, SE and CA series have been discontinued.

LYTH Battery is the strategic partner of CALB and YinLong, and our headquarter is located only 3 km away from CALB and YinLong

@Alkaline "Reliable" was a group of enthusiasts within my community who seemingly did not collectively test the quality of their cells before deployment, but were happy that they actually showed up consistently from the supplier (which is more than can be said for a lot of battery sales on AliExpress!).

@45North Lesson certainly learnt here anyway. AliExpress is great for many things, but it is truly the wild west for things like this. Consequently, I am in search of a good reliable supplier here in Europe instead. NKON seems to be such an entity, though their stocks of LFP are a bit patchy at present. Any other suggestions welcomed!

@sunshine_eggo Thankyou, that's really helpful. At the risk of pushing my luck, I don't suppose you might know somewhere that would indicate when they were discontinued. I have heard 2019, but it would be good to put such evidence into the dispute to aid the cause. Am also searching for a way to decode the 'P' numbers within the QR-codes on the cells to see if I can determine the actual date of manufacture of the cells I received.

I have learned anytime someone uses the term "reliable source" I automatically know its anything but, more sad stories with the so called reliable source than any other.

Yes aliexpress = 90% likelihood its a scam, alibaba is about 50%. likelihood.

@sunshine_eggo Thankyou, that's really helpful. At the risk of pushing my luck, I don't suppose you might know somewhere that would indicate when they were discontinued. I have heard 2019, but it would be good to put such evidence into the dispute to aid the cause. Am also searching for a way to decode the 'P' numbers within the QR-codes on the cells to see if I can determine the actual date of manufacture of the cells I received.

Might be worth contacting US office for CALB:

Thanks for that. I was looking at the calb-tech.com website earlier and the contact page there is not particularly inviting as they are clearly only interested in hearing from commercial entities. I have sent a query onto the info address given on the CALB USA site now though and will see what comes back!

By the way, I think I saw Docan Power mentioned in a previous post here a while back. Anybody able to give them a recommendation? The following looks like a possible contender for me:

Interestingly, the specs there specifically state the following. Sadly, can't find any similar statement anywhere regarding the SE200 cells. :-(

1681517136986.png

Thanks again @sunshine_eggo! Yes, provided the cells do deliver on that level of quality, I would be happy with them.

What's the general consensus on larger capacity cells like these by the way? Would it be preferable to have two smaller sized packs, over a single large capacity pack like this?

By the way, I think I saw Docan Power mentioned in a previous post here a while back. Anybody able to give them a recommendation? The following looks like a possible contender for me:

Interestingly, the specs there specifically state the following. Sadly, can't find any similar statement anywhere regarding the SE200 cells. :-(

View attachment 144761
If you are in Europe, you could also check Nkon.nl. Super fast delivery and they are very honest about B and A grade.
Ordered my cells there (B grade) and they were just perfect. Especially compared to the 'grade A' cells a friend of mine bought.

Since mine where shipped outside the EU, I got them without 21% VAT, pretty cheap.

Been looking at NKON alright. Stocks a bit short in places is the main concern, but I think it will be either them or Docan for my next order. Docan offer free shipping and their price on the LF280K B-grade cell is a bit lower also.

Received a reply from CALB USA there a short while ago - see below. A bit inconclusive in some respects, but at least there's confirmation from the source that the cells are out of production.

The series number I sent was not mistyped, so the supposition about Feb 29, 2021 was incorrectly (no such date anyway). I've sent a follow up query with a few more details on my cell test results and will see if I can get any more guidance.

1681687458484.png

Recommend you ask the CALB rep for a datasheet.

Here's one for the blue-ribbed plastic case SE180:

1681692615943.png

This describes end of life. The implication is that the batteries have been cycled beyond their rated specification suggesting either used, or serious manufacturing defect.

Recommend you ask the CALB rep for a datasheet.

Here's one for the blue-ribbed plastic case SE180:

View attachment 145087

This describes end of life. The implication is that the batteries have been cycled beyond their rated specification suggesting either used, or serious manufacturing defect.
Aha, thanks for that. That battery data sheet resource folder is very handy - had not found that earlier.

I did ask the rep about end of life in any case. If he sends me the data sheet for the SE200, I'll upload that into the resources folder also.

Back