diy solar

diy solar

Buying used cells, unable to charge them before purchase

Spatula

I've read a couple existing topics here about buying used LiFePO4 to know that there are no guarantees.

I found these cells for sale locally, pulled from a solar farm in the last couple weeks. The only information I have is that there are quantity 4, and listed as 400 Ah, 3v each, and have been through fewer than 2,000 cycles. I do not have previous experience with LiFePO4 batteries (I currently have a relatively simple solar setup using 2x lead acid marine batteries), but all of the information on this site about DIY feels very doable. It's $500 for all 4 of them, which feels like a good enough deal to take some gamble on. [edit: hmm, I may have been misreading pricing, it appears I can get a matched set of 4 new 320 Ah cells for a little over $900?]

I do not have a way to do a load test, and I will not know their charge status when I go to see them. I was planning to take my multimeter and check the voltage of each, I was thinking that since they all would have been pulled from their past life usage at the same time, as long as each cell is 3.3v or higher I should be in a good place? Faulty logic?

Anything else I should be looking out for? Thanks!

Attachments

• Cells.jpeg
    Cells.jpeg
    180.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Back