diy solar

diy solar

A-grade 304 Eve cells - fake, or real? What to expect?

wfdTamar

Hi. First post. I bought 4x304Ah cells from a seller on Australian Ebay for A$1079 (US$685). The red is the sale info:

Title - EVE 12V 304ah Lifepo4 Lithium iron Battery Solar cell grade A Phosphate

Text from the description:
Lifepo4 Lithium iron Battery Electric Vehicle 300AH 3.2V solar cells NEW 12V Phosphate cells.

Brand: EVE
5,000 cycle life

Size: 12V/12.8V 304AH .
Grade:A 100% new.
PC: 4 cells / 1 set 12V 304ah.

Each cell is 3.2V.

Delivered in a carton with no labelling stating that they were lithium. No paperwork with specs. Just the cells, bars & nuts.

According to the QR codes 3 cells have the same production date (4 months ago), 1 is a month earlier. All have exactly the same 972.8Wh Energy (is that suspicious, or is it worked out based on theoretical capacity?).

All are close to 3.29 volts. 2 cells have nice flat or slightly concave sides, but 2 have bulging as shown in the photo on both sides. They have octagonal terminal bases that I've never seen on any photo's of Eve cells.

Is the bulging within ok limits, or bad? Is it 'A-grade'? Are those octagonal terminals genuine Eve, or just some generic brand?

Anyone know of sites that have information backing this up?

Attachments

• IMG_1396-edited.jpg
    IMG_1396-edited.jpg
    542.8 KB · Views: 148
Hi. First post. I bought 4x304Ah cells from a seller on Australian Ebay for A$1079 (US$685). The red is the sale info:

Title - EVE 12V 304ah Lifepo4 Lithium iron Battery Solar cell grade A Phosphate

Text from the description:
Lifepo4 Lithium iron Battery Electric Vehicle 300AH 3.2V solar cells NEW 12V Phosphate cells.

Brand: EVE
5,000 cycle life

Size: 12V/12.8V 304AH .
Grade:A 100% new.
PC: 4 cells / 1 set 12V 304ah.

Each cell is 3.2V.

No such thing as "A" grade. They are either EV grade, or they are something less.

Delivered in a carton with no labelling stating that they were lithium. No paperwork with specs. Just the cells, bars & nuts.

That's how they avoid paying proper taxes/fees and complying with international hazmat shipping requirements.

According to the QR codes 3 cells have the same production date (4 months ago), 1 is a month earlier. All have exactly the same 972.8Wh Energy (is that suspicious, or is it worked out based on theoretical capacity?).

That's a rating: 304Ah * 3.2V = 972.8Wh

All are close to 3.29 volts. 2 cells have nice flat or slightly concave sides, but 2 have bulging as shown in the photo on both sides. They have octagonal terminal bases that I've never seen on any photo's of Eve cells.

Is the bulging within ok limits, or bad?

That's not bulging. That's just waviness. Never seen one without at least a little.

Is it 'A-grade'?

See above.

Are those octagonal terminals genuine Eve, or just some generic brand?

No idea.

Anyone know of sites that have information backing this up?

The carton labelling - They were shipped within Australia, so it's more about warning the couriers what they're carrying. I think lithium has to be labelled. (but they may also have come from China like that to the seller for the tax reasons you mention)

Thanks. Reassuring about the waviness. Just hadn't seen it in YouTube when they talk of 'good' cells.

That black stuck on top - if you peel it back to look for other QR codes, does it stick back on and look ok and untouched (if I need to return them)?

That black stuck on top - if you peel it back to look for other QR codes, does it stick back on and look ok and untouched (if I need to return them)?

Hit and miss. almost 100% certainty you'll find an alternate QR code and/or evidence that the area under/around the visible QR code has been buffed/sanded.

So what to do? They may be ok, but it's pretty sure they're not what were advertised (they'd have cost more). If they were open about what they are you wouldn't mind, though you can get generic versions off Aliexpress for 2/3rds that cost.

I have a cell tester coming so maybe wait to see what capacity they have. Decide then wether to return (if nowhere near capacity), or a partial refund if they're ok.

Just heard from Andy from Off Grid Solar on YouTube - he says the octagonal terminal base is the latest v.3 of the Eve 304Ah. That's good so I'll see what happens when I test them.

Here is how you can find out:

but you have to remove the black cover and clean with rubbing alcohol to see.

Others:

there are more, but bottom line if you don't' get a manufacturer report... its probably grade B.

I did do some research pre purchase. I may be new to this field, but been internet buying since the '90's. It's just now I have the product I wanted to be sure I had what was listed. It's worth finding out as I could return them if they're not ok. As it is, subject to testing (just got the tester today) and maybe looking under the black top, it looks like they're ok (just not Grade A). If they're Eve, test ok and don't have scratched out QR codes under the sticker, I'll be happy.

Clean all the way to the edges only when you compare can you tell. They look ok so maybe you got grade A. Get some rubbing alcohol it takes a while.

Attachments

• edge.jpg
    edge.jpg
    544.1 KB · Views: 96
Just do an output test (4 cells is easy to do). Cells degrade on a predictable curve....Does anything else really matter?

Does anyone know if the LF304 has switched to hexagon terminals like the new 280K V3?

If the LF304 has not then you may have gotten LF280K with re-lasered QR code to look like a 304.

I'm emailing EVE. On a side note Lampard Lee is no longer with the EVE so I sent an email to Meteor Ye & Doris Lui to see what they say.

wfdTamar you'll need to clean the terminal all the way if you want to be sure, if you don't that's fine, but without test report Its not looking good, especially if EVE is still making the 304 with round terminals.

wfdTamar,

I have some bad news for you, EVE 304 is still using a round terminal, not hexagon.

Meteor Yi, has said the LF306K will have a hexagon terminal but these cells have not yet been released.

I suspect these are LF280K V3 Grade B cells that have a counterfeit QR code to appear as grade A LF304

According to pics on the 18650 store theres both round like pictured here and the hexagon cells out there..

Last edited:
Back