diy solar

diy solar

Current cell prices/quotes

gibbygoodtunes

Hey forum, I just got a quote all in USD from Amy at luyuan and Jenny wu from Docan.

Amy says:

About the (eve) 280AH, we have two grades to choose from (both are the new version LF280K, brand new, in stock):

Grade A: fully matched, with the test data from the original factory. Its price has risen a lot, $167 / pcs

Grade A- : Its internal resistance and voltage are matched, the capacity is not. We tested the real capacity of some batteries, at 276-284AH. $107 / pcs**

When EVE tests grade A batteries, if some batteries do not meet the specifications (for example, the capacity is insufficient or there are some tiny defects in appearance, they will pick them out. These batteries are A-.

Jenny wu @ docan says:

(8) pcs EVE LF280K brand new IR, voltage and capacity matched
$110 per cell

So its sounds like Amys grade A "expensive cells" are brand new from the factory with test data for each cell? Are her A- cells as good as or the same thing as Docans grade A cells? In general it seems people are happy with Docans cells.. does anyone have experience with Luyuan's A- cells?

Edited to add price of A- cells

Last edited:
Hey forum, I just got a quote all in USD from Amy at luyuan and Jenny wu from Docan.

Amy says:

About the (eve) 280AH, we have two grades to choose from (both are the new version LF280K, brand new, in stock):

Grade A: fully matched, with the test data from the original factory. Its price has risen a lot, $167 / pcs

Grade A- : Its internal resistance and voltage are matched, the capacity is not. We tested the real capacity of some batteries, at 276-284AH.

When EVE tests grade A batteries, if some batteries do not meet the specifications (for example, the capacity is insufficient or there are some tiny defects in appearance, they will pick them out. These batteries are A-.

Jenny wu @ docan says:

$110 per cell

So its sounds like Amys grade A "expensive cells" are brand new from the factory with test data for each cell? Are her A- cells as good as or the same thing as Docans grade A cells? In general it seems people are happy with Docans cells.. does anyone have experience with Luyuan's A- cells?

I received 9 A- cells from Amy Luyuan early 2021. Personally tested 264-278Ah. The 264 was an outlier and also had other outlier behavior. Needing 8 cells, I purchase a spare "just in case" as I didn't want to wait another 2 months for a replacement. While still meeting IR and self-discharge spec, the spare definitely self-discharged notably faster than the others.

"Grade A" means that all cells must pass all datasheet parameters. 280Ah cells will test at or above 280Ah if truly grade A.

Docan's $110 IR, V and cap matched cells claim to offer the same as Luyuan $167 cells.

I have 16 of her grade A cells. When I purchased them, I paid $125usd each. This was about $15ea over the going rate at the time, but I was willing to pay premium because of her reputation. I was not disappointed. I am running two 12v packs in parallel in my off-grid location, and everything is working just fine. Each pack stays balanced, and the two packs are nearly the exact same voltages(within .005v). The two packs have no balancing between them. Screen caps of my two packs right now. This is just half my order. 8 of my cells are not yet in constant use. Edited to add: These screen caps were done about a minute apart on a cloudy/sunny day, which is why some parameters are not exactly matched, such as incoming wattage/amperage.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220305-102544.jpg
    Screenshot_20220305-102544.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot_20220305-102515.jpg
    Screenshot_20220305-102515.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Does Docan provide

I just looked at Docan US stock and the 230Ah cells are $110.50 and the 280Ah cells are $147.
Interesting.. It could be Jenny Wu made a mistake but I even sent another email at the time (yesterday) clarifying what I wanted (eve lf280k) and she confirmed that ($110) was the price.

Edited to add the actual confirmed price

Last edited:
I have 16 of her grade A cells. When I purchased them, I paid $125usd each. This was about $15ea over the going rate at the time, but I was willing to pay premium because of her reputation. I was not disappointed. I am running two 12v packs in parallel in my off-grid location, and everything is working just fine. Each pack stays balanced, and the two packs are nearly the exact same voltages(within .005v). The two packs have no balancing between them. Screen caps of my two packs right now. This is just half my order. 8 of my cells are not yet in constant use.
Just to be clear these are grade As from Amy @ Luyuan?

Just to be clear these are grade As from Amy @ Luyuan?
I just went back to my correspondence with her. At the time, she was offering only one grade, so I cannot find where she specified grade. Her test reports that she sent indicated that all cells would test above 280, so I'm assuming that this is what she now calls grade A. I have not done a true capacity test, for a variety of reasons. No controlled temperature, cells in constant use, laziness:p It is what it is, but I am satisfied with their performance, and the numbers in the bms are quite similar to the numbers I get from my CC and my Victron monitor.

Attachments

• amywan.jpg
    amywan.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 61
  • All-cells-tests.jpg
    All-cells-tests.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 62
Could be but the website says something different?
Figured it out. You can toggle from US wearhouse to China, prices change. US is $147 china is $110 same cell

In fact, the price should be similar, but is this A-battery a new specification? I only know about Grade A, Grade B batteries... Generally speaking, every battery manufacturer is willing to provide you with battery data before shipping, of course, it depends on the mood of the battery manufacturer.

In fact, the price should be similar, but is this A-battery a new specification? I only know about Grade A, Grade B batteries... Generally speaking, every battery manufacturer is willing to provide you with battery data before shipping, of course, it depends on the mood of the battery manufacturer.
I think Luyuan's A- are what some would consider B grade or simply used cells/cells that didnt make the cut after factory testing. Are these what Docan is selling or are they actually brand new, if so why is there such a price difference? I asked Jenny if their cells come with test results, I am still waiting on a reply. I dont think Luyuan or Docan manufacture cells but Amy's (Luyuan) grade A cells come with documentation because they are, from what I gather, actually brand new from the eve factory.

The first batch of cells I got from Docan seems to be brand new. They definately weren't used. The data sheet I got from Docan was pretty generic, it showed test results from a batch of cells, but I don't think it was specific to my 16. The cells are above capacity and after balancing track within .004mv charging/discharging until the knees. I've never had the BMS cut off a low or high cell prior to my scc stopping a charge/discharge. I haven't pushed them excessively, but do make sure I'm getting my money's worth. So while I was initially a little uneasy, the lower price from Docan worked out fine.
The $110 you mentioned is what I was quoted without shipping or merchant PayPal fee. My final cost for 16 cells from China to my location in the USA (Washington)from Docan was about $142/cell.

Amy says:

Grade A- : Its internal resistance and voltage are matched, the capacity is not. We tested the real capacity of some batteries, at 276-284AH. $107 / pcs**

Jenny wu @ docan says:

$110 per cell

Edited to add price of A- cells
If Jenny is quoting you $110 it’s from China not from Houston.
I bought 64 from her from Houston and they were $150 for the LFK280AH.

Back