diy solar

diy solar

DC-DC charger (B2B) options and general discussion

I read in another place that those renogy are factory programed to limit alternator charge to 50% of their amp rating as sooon as they detect any solar charging. The person who found the issue added as switch to disconect his solar while driving and emailed Renogy who confirmed his finding was programed like that and not a defect; although not advertise. Im glad I found it before I bought it. It seems the renogy dc-dc no solar are the way to go and add a cheapo solar controller.
Yes, the drop by 50% when solar is detected is correct

isn't that what the bms is for? It seems a much better deal to buy a dc-dc and add a cheap solar controller. If Im camping and boondocking I want my batteries to charge fast when I drive.....it doesn't make much sense to pay that much money to just use half, a renogy 60A plus 30A solar charger is less than that one. Just sharing the info for the people reading before buying...it took me a while to understand it. most batteries could take the 60A+30A while driving....usualy theres no shadow while driving so it is a pitty to put a switch to turnoff the solar while driving.
If you were to charge a 100AH battery at 90a you would probably be exceeding its rated charge current. BMS should protect from improper setup or error events. That doesn’t mean mfgs should make stupid devices. Anyway, what I suggested is purely speculation. Could be that they cheaped out on parts or something. I don’t know why they did it.

If you were to charge a 100AH battery at 90a you would probably be exceeding its rated charge capacity. BMS should protect from stupid or error events. That doesn’t mean mfgs should make stupid devices. Anyway, what I suggested is purely speculation. Could be that they cheaped out on parts or something. I don’t know why they did it.
Yeah, it's more expensive to build a device that can handle 100A than 50A. That's not really cheaping out, that's making a 50A charger instead of a 100A charger.

Jumping back in. DCDC/MPPT 50 has a common ground. I have seen plans that only connect positive starter battery to DCDC IN, no NEG. Starter has chassis ground.

Can one just ground the common ground out of the DCDC in with the NEG buss bar without running a sister NEG from the starter battery?
There are some great resources on grounding on the forum. Check this one out here:

A very common set of questions in the beginner and the vehicle mounted systems subforums concerns charging a LFP house bank from a vehicles starting system (alternator). The most commonly used and recommended devices for this purpose are DC-DC chargers (also often called Battery to Battery (or B2B) Chargers). This thread is intended to be an index of the various options available as well as a catchall thread for questions and answers, discussion, etc.

Disclaimer (and request for help/collaboration): I do not own and have not used any of these. I have compiled this list because its a very common area of interest and confusion and also for my own interest. Some of these products I have researched in moderate depth, others I have barely read the product description and/or datasheet. There are bound to be errors, omissions, inaccuracies, etc. And there are some aspects that are just hard to represent neatly in a table. So take the accuracy with a grain of salt (especially anywhere you see a red ? or a *) and please help me improve the info if you see something that needs correcting or can think of another specification that should be added.

Charger Only
(DC-DC / B2B)
Brand / ModelMax Current 12/24Input VoltagesOutput VoltagesLFP compatibleParallelable
Victron Orion-TR Smart (Isolated)30A / 17A12, 2412, 24YesYes
Victron Orion-TR Smart (Non-Isolated)30A / 17A12, 2412, 24YesYes
Sterling Power Pro Batt Ultra**70A / 35A ***12, 2412, 24, 36*, 48*YesYes
Renogy DCC1212**60A / --1212Yes?
Redarc DPS40A / 25A12, 2412, 24Yes?
Votronic VCCTBD12, 2412Some Models?
*Not available in all input voltages
**Not all models shown/listed in link or table
***Input current (output current not specified)

Dual Function Charger
(DC-DC + MPPT)
Brand / ModelMax OutputInput VoltageOutput VoltageMax Solar Input VoltageLFP Compatible
Renogy DCC50A / --121225 (?)Yes
Kisae DMT50A / 30A12, 2412, 2450Yes
CTEK D250SE20A / --121223 (?)Yes
Redarc BCDC50A / 20A12, 2412, 2432 / 28 (?)Yes

Triple Function Charger
(DC-DC + MPPT + AC Charger)
Brand / ModelMax OutputInput Voltage (DC)Output VoltageMax Solar Input VoltageLFP Compatible
Redarc Manager 3030A12, 2412, 24 (?)30 (?)Yes
Votronic VBCSTBD1212TBDYes
The Kisae DMT-2430 caught my eye but while it is a DC-DC charger, it is not a Boost 12V to 24V charger. I have a 12V alternator/starter battery and a 24V house battery. Victron remains the best solution for me.

I would like to suggest adding a “max input (amps)” column to this table. My alternator has a max output rating of 250 amps at 24v. I have no intention of trying to push it to that limit, but I want to be sure that the b2b charger is capable of seeing those amps on the input and not frying... Alternately, if there are reasons this is irrelevant or there are other best practice ways to go about protecting the b2b charger, I am all ears. I have not done a lot of research into this myself, just yet. Only enough know what I want to do and to recognize some of the risks that need to be mitigated.
That's not how this works. Two things control power levels. Source voltage and load impedance (Ohms power law).

It's not like the battery is an decrepit dam, threatening to burst, inundating everything downstream with a huge burst of power.

OldDam.jpg

I have over 7000 WH of batteries (25.V at 280AH) in my van, these would only be limited by circuit breaker or fuse if a load ever shorted out. Think serious arc welding current and the limit of concern is that appropriately sized wiring, circuit breakers and bus bars are connected to the battery. Everything on the other side of the bus bars is individually fused and wired based on that fuse size.

The problem isn't the source, its the load. So when a load claims it is rated for XXX A, what that means is you need to be sure everything feeding it (power source, wiring, fuses etc.), are sized to work with that load. Not the other way around.

Last edited:
Alternators supply the amount of current being drawn by loads, the "extra" current would go to those loads not the charger. You can have a few LED lights connected to a large battery bank and they don't burn up even though the battery bank can supply enough current to burn them up because they are part of a circuit designed to only draw enough current to power the LEDs, the charger connected to your alternator is no different in concept.

Sure, something bad can happen, but any charger will likely have some form of built-in overcurrent protection and you should fuse the positive input wire.

If this were a problem then every electrical circuit on your vehicle would constantly be failing.
I would suggest you use an appropriate fuse (based on the size of your wiring) located as close to the source as possible. I would also add a circuit breaker or fuse to the output of the converter as well. Circuit breaker doubles as a service disconnect which is handy.

I am planning on using a 50A Short-Stop breaker for alternator power. It is just to protect against a shorted wire. It has to be something sealed since it will be exposed to the weather.

I am using a 30A DC toggle circuit breaker on the output side of the charger.

Wiring:

I have basically decided to use ABYC rated parts as much as humanly possible. Mostly Victron and Blue Sea.

I'm not 100% positive, but I'm 95% sure all of the B2B chargers designed and marketed for charging the house/auxiliary battery from the vehicles starting batttery/charging system have a method of isolating the two batteries when the vehicle is not running.

I believe most tap into the ignition wiring, some may have a voltage trigger or something more complicated.

However the above may not apply to the DPS, since as you noted it looks to be just a power supply, not a charger.

What I'm hoping is that as this thread gets more attention, we get more people that actually own each of these devices that can chime in and fill in details for the devices they own and are familiar with.
Isolation for the purposes of ensuring the starter battery doesn't get drained is a totally different issue than galvanically isolation. Preventing starter battery drain is much simpler than accomplishing galvanic isolation. That is why the isolated Victron Orion TR versions cost more than the non-isolated versions. That and people will pay more.

Galvanically isolated is a nice thing to have, especially if you are charging house batteries in a trailer from the tow vehicle engine. The issue relates to how the house battery is grounded to chassis ground when the tow vehicle is disconnected. All in one RVs and vans don't have this issue (probably) so I would not expect them to need galvanic isolation.

That's not how this works. Two things control power levels. Source voltage and load impedance (Ohms power law).

It's not like the battery is an decrepit dam, threatening to burst, inundating everything downstream with a huge burst of power.

View attachment 41016

I have over 7000 WH of batteries (25.V at 280AH) in my van, these would only be limited by circuit breaker or fuse if a load ever shorted out. Think serious arc welding current and I my concern about that has led me to use appropriately sized wiring, circuit breakers and bus bars. Everything after the bus bars is individually fused and wired based on what the load needs.

The problem isn't the source, its the load. So when a load claims it is rated for XXX A, what that means is you need to be sure everything feeding it (power source, wiring, fuses etc.), are sized to work with that load. Not the other way around.
I didn’t think the batteries were a decrepit damn. I thought the alternator would pump out amps and could overload the input rating of the dc dc charger. I did not understand how the technology worked. I’ve since learned otherwise. :)

Isolation for the purposes of ensuring the starter battery doesn't get drained is a totally different issue than galvanically isolation. Preventing starter battery drain is much simpler than accomplishing galvanic isolation. That is why the isolated Victron Orion TR versions cost more than the non-isolated versions. That and people will pay more.

Galvanically isolated is a nice thing to have, especially if you are charging house batteries in a trailer from the tow vehicle engine. The issue relates to how the house battery is grounded to chassis ground when the tow vehicle is disconnected. All in one RVs and vans don't have this issue (probably) so I would not expect them to need galvanic isolation.
I am performing a bus conversion (99 MCI) and am curious to learn more about this topic and how it applies to me. You say it (probably) would not apply in my situation. Can you elaborate on why?

I am performing a bus conversion (99 MCI) and am curious to learn more about this topic and how it applies to me. You say it (probably) would not apply in my situation. Can you elaborate on why?
If you are in a van or bus, then you should connect your house battery negative to the starter battery negative and let the existing negative to chassis ground connection built into the existing bus wiring take care of that for you.

The reason why is you only want to connect the house negative bus to chassis ground at one point. Otherwise you risk passing significant current through the vehicle chassis which can cause corrosion and other problems. It does mean all your wiring needs to be in pairs (positive and negative). That is why I use this stuff for all my DC wiring, except for the battery/inverter wiring.

One other reason to use galvanic isolation is if you have a positive grounded electrical system. This typically is only found in old equipment, but never say never. Hopefully nothing made in the last 50 years has a positive grounded electrical system.

If you are in a van or bus, then you should connect your house battery negative to the starter battery negative and let the existing negative to chassis ground connection built into the existing bus wiring take care of that for you.
This is in my plan, not that I knew all the reasons why, just that circuit best practices call for it.
The reason why is you only want to connect the house negative bus to chassis ground at one point. Otherwise you risk passing significant current through the vehicle chassis which can cause corrosion and other problems. It does mean all your wiring needs to be in pairs (positive and negative). That is why I use this stuff for all my DC wiring, except for the battery/inverter wiring.
I understood the possibility of ground loops, but didn’t understand the implication of galvanic corrosion. Thank you!

One other reason to use galvanic isolation is if you have a positive grounded electrical system. This typically is only found in old equipment, but never say never. Hopefully nothing made in the last 50 years has a positive grounded electrical system.
no worries there. It is a negative ground chassis system. Are there any concerns about the chassis system being FLA and the house system being LFP? Do I need to take any other precautions?

Are there any other reasons I might want to get an isolated dc dc charger as opposed to a non-isolated one?

no worries there. It is a negative ground chassis system. Are there any concerns about the chassis system being FLA and the house system being LFP? Do I need to take any other precautions?

Are there any other reasons I might want to get an isolated dc dc charger as opposed to a non-isolated one?
The DC-DC charger will take care of the battery chemistry. I will be using the ignition switch input on my DC-DC charger. That way I don't have to worry about running down my starter batteries.

For a van/bus, non-isolated is fine, just run both positive and negative wires from the starter system to the DC-DC charger and don't connect the house negative to chassis ground.

If you already have the batteries installed with the negative connected to chassis ground then you might want to go with an isolated DC-DC charger just to simplify the installation (no sense having to rewire stuff that already works).

The DC-DC charger will take care of the battery chemistry. I will be using the ignition switch input on my DC-DC charger. That way I don't have to worry about running down my starter batteries.
i think the redarc is the only one i‘ve seen to do 24v-24v dc, so far. i dont recall if its auto sensing or if i will need an ignition lead.
For a van/bus, non-isolated is fine, just run both positive and negative wires from the starter system to the DC-DC charger and don't connect the house negative to chassis ground.
i thought house negative should be attached to the same chassis ground that the chassis battery is connected to. that was my understanding and i thought you also confirmed that in your earlier post.
If you already have the batteries installed with the negative connected to chassis ground then you might want to go with an isolated DC-DC charger just to simplify the installation (no sense having to rewire stuff that already works).
i havent started wiring yet. just now working on charging and capacity testing the cells. still working out some of the research. still need to decide on some cabling. im finally putting together a system diagram, though. small steps, but forward progress.

Ehh. I want 50a, but would settle for something in the 30s, and I really don’t want to pay victron’s premium. If I’m going to double up in parallel I’ll get something like chargery’s ac/dc to dc converter. In dc dc mode they will only do 20 amps, but are beastly chargers when you connect them to AC. at $350 each I would not mind having two of them. Wired with a quick disconnect, I can easily remove one from the RV for use in a shop and leave the other wired to the non inverter-powered side of a distribution panel where the unused leg of a 240v 50a shore junction box will feed.

it is hard to find a good high amp charger for 24v to 48v
Perhaps a buck boost or stepup converter with an isolator? I looked into that DIY route, but with my limited electrical and electronics engineering knowledge, didn’t think it was wise to go that route in a [not rush, but] time-constrained time-line. I feel that would require a different level of knowledge or experience that I lack; and, while I can do the studying and learn what I need to learn, it would take away from the time I have to learn about the other things I need to learn for completing this project, and I do not want to have to do this type of learning in a rush. Well that was a mouthful. Do take a breath if you read it out loud. ? anyway, I’m curtailing my scope where I can and as reasonable.

edit: when you don’t know what you don’t know, and are afraid of the time consuming exhaustive search for caveats...ooor taking on the diligent studies of rsd academy and hope the time investment results in the knowledge necessary, or do further research into what exactly will provide the knowledge necessary...ehh, that all involves times too. Soooo, KISS dictates simplify (In my case).

Last edited:
Back