diy solar

diy solar

DC wire preferences for outdoor use

zzmtc

Hi all... first time caller, long time listener...

I have a solar+battery+inverter setup that primarily powers an off-grid AC dorm fridge at a cabin. The battery & inverter are located in a shed that's a few feet away from the cabin and outhouse (~10 feet or so to each). I'm hooking up a 12v water pump for the bathroom and some 12v DC lighting in the cabin and am a bit bewildered on the best wire choice. Looking for advice on what type of wire is best plus perhaps even a recommendation as to a good retailer to purchase it from.

Since the wire run from the battery would need to go outdoors, I'd prefer something that's direct burial. Low-voltage Landscape wire seems to do the trick here. Is this a good choice? The options I've seen so far don't show any color coding on the wire to indicate positive or negative -- the insulation for both leads is just black rubber. Landscaping wire also doesn't seem to include a ground.

Any advice for a DC wiring newbie?

Thanks in advance.

Hi all... first time caller, long time listener...

I have a solar+battery+inverter setup that primarily powers an off-grid AC dorm fridge at a cabin. The battery & inverter are located in a shed that's a few feet away from the cabin and outhouse (~10 feet or so to each). I'm hooking up a 12v water pump for the bathroom and some 12v DC lighting in the cabin and am a bit bewildered on the best wire choice. Looking for advice on what type of wire is best plus perhaps even a recommendation as to a good retailer to purchase it from.

Since the wire run from the battery would need to go outdoors, I'd prefer something that's direct burial. Low-voltage Landscape wire seems to do the trick here. Is this a good choice? The options I've seen so far don't show any color coding on the wire to indicate positive or negative -- the insulation for both leads is just black rubber. Landscaping wire also doesn't seem to include a ground.

Any advice for a DC wiring newbie?

Thanks in advance.
Landscaping wire usually has markings on one of the conductors so they can be distinguished. Assuming that your system is 12volt (you referenced 12 volt lights) the landscaping wire will be ok from a longevity standpoint. Just make sure the wire gauge is correct for your load and distance otherwise you will be useIng a bunch of your solar to heat the ground. also a significant voltage drop might adversely affect your pump. A separate ground wire is not needed for low voltage applications.

Back