diy solar

diy solar

Definitely a beginner - help welcome

Do You have power now? Are the solar panels going to be mounted somewhere on the balcony? Do You have room for them there. Will they have access to the sun, with no shading. Is the balcony properly oriented to provide a southern exposure? Will the neighbors object to the solar system? Keep in mind, that even under ideal conditions, the output You'll get from those panels will probably not even be close to what they are rated at even during a sunny day. I think, given your expectations, and budget, You'll be disappointed if You try to build out your solar system.
It is an emergency power supply. The battery, grid charger and inverter are the place to put money in this type system, especially if the person is wanting to upgrade or have the option.

Op says balcony mount, totally doable and that they have good exposure. ( i left this on my clipboard and awoke to stunningly spaceous balcony photos!)

if you want to run a freezer and the other critical loads indicated the freezer is priority and system power and capacity are largely going to be enough to allow opportunity charging and use of all kinds of devices and appliances.

Lights and comms/computing are really a byproduct of having a system capable of electric water delivery and refrigeration. Even though water delivery is not mentioned, the freezer represents all kinds of spare capacity in sizing of power equipment.

the proposed system is small, a micro-system or cabin system. The desire to deep freeze should utilize extreme efficiency there then supply a battery that can do it plus the other loads at 80%dod. And add 20% for all kinds of reasons unless it only has to do it a few times or will not be expected to still work several years from now even if it lives at float.

The battery is the core module in the system. If you can deploy any pv watts, you will at least offset consumption and offer opportunity use. The pv is an adjunct system to a standby ups.

Of course the system could perform load defection from utility supply and increase value or cost avoidance as opposed to just a backup which is a luxury, a household appliance. $$

Daily system capacity needs to be defined and specified in duration of autonomy in order to spend good money on storage and power-electronics.

Inverters are cheap if need be. Have an inverter/charger if possible. The cost will be close an inverter and transfer switch combo but you get a grid charger and ups function out of it. Plug and plays will be clunky.

Im not sure which ones people are liking but the mpp amd sigineer stuff are low cost, good quality. Mpp even has high functionallity and stunning monitor interface both onboard and computer terminal/phone app.

I would shop low standby as much as i would pure sine wave, and i actually use msw, but that is for low budgets like mine.

if you set a goal to be able to replace the power used by the fridge under 5% solar conditions your system will rarely not charge during daylight. There are days where the control may as well not turn on. That eventuality and overnight is wher the battery comes in. If you have an ample array and the system is for emergency 2.5 or more days autonomy is a decent number with a budget.

i dont know your insolation data, nor do i know the likely duration of outage, nor if you intend it to supply beyond that.

if you get the core of the system in, adding ample comtroller and pv modules is trivial over time and at 149$ apiece for 320w modules cheap to puff up the budget as you can.

think of it as a bank account.

my best system is one where the client does not beat around the bush on budget. Just state how much you are willing to spend iand ill maximize the dollar or say directly it cant be done.

i your budget were set for now at 1000cdn id invest in enough battery and inverter charger directly and add solar later. Or start with a single panel, a real residential/commercial power one.
yu will save money and actually be able to use the nameplate in the design.

i have to step in when someones dreams and aspirations in solar are getting beaten down in cautionary blather.

Too many projects succumb to the negative hearsay on the matter as opposed to direct investigation of what can and really should be done with 1000$

Now, that is from a person who gives shit advice for diy........ and lives on solar diy......and helps others live on a quasi diy where we gve assistance to actual paying clients to bring it together which most companies avoid like a plague. So i hope the op gets the drift has no fear and goes ahead with a plan.

First off I would like to thank you Kernel (and MBR) for your wise input.
I have looked up the 6v golf cart batteries in Canada and unfortunately they are $200 each - so very expensive here (the 12 v marine run about $150).
Or maybe i could get two golf cart batteries. Why are they so much better than the 12v marine. More cycles (anything else?) Will 6V last longer if they just sit and don't get used. Or should i think about investing more and getting LifePo or Lithium?
I have a south facing balcony and some room on the outside of my balcony - I'm at the top of the buildng and really hope my neighbors wont notice.
hadn't really thought about having to attach them. Here's a pic of my balcony below. I do have regular power in my condo and just want an emergency supply. So who knows when it will actually get used.

I had also wondered about setting up a wind turbine and a hybrid controller in order to generate additional power as we do get some wind here.
Ballast mounts with block. It can be made of wood or metal. No problem.

If it makes it affordable and can be replaced in a few years, marine deep cycles are ok. Heck most of the long time installation companies charge for true deep cycle and supply marine anyway.

A set of marine deep cycle batteries will likely be ok because they live in float amd not cycle use daily. If it helps you get it in place id have no issue with marine batteries, especially in an emergency ups system.

Stuff is expensive there! Im spoiled by 80$ marine batteries and 120$ gc2 of good manufacture and high capacity.

A great example of de-prioritizing a battery, the seasoned will het it at a glance...... 12k$ us in powerelectronics and a marine deep cycle starting battery fleet of leprosy with tiny cables.

The arrays are huge and they bought a large thermal hydronic system that does not work.
The system would not charge in ac coupled backup mode with tje hardware and programming supplied, batteries had leprosy, they would have spent any dollar on a good system and got this amd an over the facia conduit job..... were charged to the hilt so the sales team has range rovers to sell systems from.

Between this and over cautionary hearsay so much disappointment in solar and un-realiz3d systems. A sad state of affairs.

Now if you know fullywhat you want amd need amd are selling to yourself, marine starting batteries can and likely should fill the need.20150710_173020.jpg

WP_20150617_17_55_10_Pro.jpg

- I'm at the top of the buildng and really hope my neighbors wont notice.

I had also wondered about setting up a wind turbine and a hybrid controller in order to generate additional power as we do get some wind here.
A small 300 watt Wind turbine will get your neighbors attention with the noise.
You would need a tower to get it above the roof for a clean wind flow.
Wind power controllers are not easy to set up like solar.
You may think you have enough wind to produce power but you probably dont.

I’m sorry for those who I offended. I’m an amateur when it comes to Solar and I don’t know everything, and admit that I have made mistakes. That being said, I do have a small system up and running. It was designed just as much for experimenting with, as in providing power as a substitute to running a generator. I’ve had some pleasant and unpleasant experiences in the build and operation of the system (Something I hope to share in the future). Some of my statements have been based on those experiences. I’m not trying to shatter anyone’s dreams. I would love to see this thread to continue and come up with a solution for LA111.

Well - such a nice surprise to have so much input. Big thanks to you Kernel! Thanks Dash and appreciate MBR's info on the possible wind solution (definitely saved me from making a big mistake there) So maybe I'll start with the batteries.

So it looks like I need to decide on some batteries.
These are the three local options below:

Two Golf cart battteries - 230 amp hours (approx $200 CAD each)

or two Motomaster Nautilus 90 amp hour for ($160 CAD each)
l
or Two Costco Marine Batteries Group 27, 120 Amp hour ($187 CAD each)
Specs for costco batteries
  • Cold Cranking Amps – 675
  • Cranking Amps – 845
  • Reserve Capacity – 180
  • Amp Hours – 120
Just looking at this I think the Golf Cart batteries will give me a lot more Amp Hours and I hear they recharge faster, Is that the right choice?

Or maybe the two Costco Deep Cycle Marine batteries (120 amp hour each) which equal
240 amp hours once connected together would be better than the golf 6 colt 230 amp hour batteries?? Looked at the marine batteries today and they're certainly big and heavy. They're effectively the same price. I'm happy to buy either. Can I deplete the 6 volts further down than the 12V.
What do you think?

Last edited:
So it looks like I need to decide on some batteries.
These are the three local options below:

Two Golf cart battteries - 230 amp hours (approx $200 CAD each)

or two Motomaster Nautilus 90 amp hour for ($160 CAD each)
l
or Two Costco Marine Batteries Group 27, 120 Amp hour ($187 CAD each)
Specs for costco batteries
  • Cold Cranking Amps – 675
  • Cranking Amps – 845
  • Reserve Capacity – 180
  • Amp Hours – 120
Just looking at this I think the Golf Cart batteries will give me a lot more Amp Hours and I hear they recharge faster, Is that the right choice?
The Costco batteries don't have a link but any battery listing CCA etc sounds like a starting battery and not a deep cycle storage battery.
I would say that golf cart batteries will last the longest but i am not too knowledgeable on lead acid as I am a LiFePO4 fanboy.

Are the batteries going inside or on the balcony?

I could leave the batteries inside or outside, I don't really have cover over the balcony, so I'd have to get a box.
Here's the link for the costco.ca battery. (not sure link goes direct to battery, need to go to the Marine option) It's the Marine Kirkland Group 27 one. that has 120 amp hours.

If that isn't very good - I can buy anything off of amazon.ca and I see they have some LifePO4
They show a Renogy LifePO4 200AH for $788 and I would even be willing to get that if you thought that would be a good battery or maybe you could see one on amazon,ca that might work?
I did check my Freezer over a 24 hour period - since it turns off and on- generally running 60 - 80 watts when on, It does a surge and goes to a high of 875 and took .720 KWH over 24 hours.

Back