diy solar

diy solar

Delta Pro(s) tested today and what I’ve learned so far with the EcoFlow ecosystem

FrankoRph

I’ve been experimenting with the Delta Pro I bought Through Earth Tech …. I bought (1) DP and (1) extra battery , bought some used renogy 260 watts panels and started from there . I quickly found that cloudy days eroded the performance to 10-15 percent of specified watts , but they actually out performed the 1040 watts in mixed cloud / bright Sun here in So Cal . I’m pointing them south , and laying them back about 50 deg ( latitude plus 15 deg in winter per research ) . Have gotten up to 1250 watts ! . I also realized the inherent shortcomings of the Delta pro solar input ( 150 Voc) and 1600 watts . The watts wasn’t an issue , but the Voc is the more important protective value , as is the “ 15 amps “. I am using a manual transfer switch ( reliant ) 6 circuits that isolate those from the grid , and use an RV generator 30 amp receptacle. I can leave these circuits on from 4:00 pm until 12:00 ( or whenever I go to bed ) , but IF the Delta and battery were not 75-80% to start , I’d struggle to make the next am and have some battery in reserve …. So , if the day was rainy and overcast , I can charge from the grid , then run my transfer switch during the 4-9 Peak rate to “ tier “ shift , and use this Also as a “ back up “ using the Delta unit or the Honda generators I have ( one 3000 is and I have dual 2200 I I can run in parallel)
So far , so good . I decided I’d like one more extra battery , to give me reserve and hopefully through the pm and into next day , and depending on sun and use , maybe leave in all the time . Well , I wanted more Solar capacity, and have seen the “ do it yourself “ that the internet has , and like them , but it seems that nothing in these solutions has a 5 year warranty like I got with Ecoflow ? And I agree with Will that the Delta Pro has I here t shortcomings ( esp with solar input ) but I don’t want to put down big $$ and have no warranty!
So , I decided to buy another Delta Pro and have another solar array chargers it , then feed it into the first Delta pro to charge … I set the Delta # 2 to discharge to 16% , and then it shuts off . This is a way better solution for me vs just adding another battery , that’s almost as much as a Delta Pro battery alone ! Got the Costco bundle for 3100 delivered to my address ( tax etc ) and it came with a remote controller too ! Part of the bundle .
Now , I can leave Delta 1 on the transfer all day , charge it simultaneously, and charge number 2 and recharge # 1 . This acts as a “ second “ battery , yet gives me system redundancy and 2x the Solar input !. First sunny day , I charged Delta 1 ( and the add on battery ) to full while still running 6 circuits through Transfer switch all day ( offsetting 60-70 % of my needs !) and the second Delta is 75% after helping charge the first . I’ll start recharging Delta 1 this pm before bed and it will run until 16% then off . This covers me through the night . When I can get to it , I’m going to replace the 3 x 315 watt with VSUNS 535 watt on Array 2 . The cost has been so far about 9k. But it’s up and running , including tier 1 panels , wiring , reliant transfer … 2 remote controllers , and a Dewalt rack like Prose had in video . The panels were 75.00 per panel for 260 , 120 for 315 watt
And when I upgrade the second string , 295/ panel for the 535 watt . This is way better than a solar company I believe …. Because of the 10.8 in battery storage , and the ability to pack up and move the deltas in an emergency, and having back up that also integrates with my Honda generator in an emergency. I believe between reducing usage and tier shifting , I’ll save 100-120 per month … maybe more ? Payback ? 6-7 years? …. Maybe Faster if Edison raises the rates or I upgrade to 1600 plus 1040 to have 2.64Kw vs the 2kw I have now …. These are my results as just experienced:)

You may want to drain your batteries down to zero after charging to 100%. I saw that my batteries were discharging very quickly and decided to take someone’s advice and drain it down to zero a couple times and then back up to 100%. You may notice that your batteries will sit at 1% for may be 6 to 8 hours while they discharge. This resets the battery as I have read from other posts and helps give you an accurate measure of your true percentage.
Also, I’m surprise that with you were, with 1 EcoFlow Delta Pro, and one extra battery that you can’t get through the night with your RV set up. It should give you enough charge for two days. I only have one Eco Flo delta pro with nine panels, laying flat and I get about two days if I am stretching the discharge.

Winter time right now is a good way to discharge your batteries while using a space heater in the morning to take the chill out of the air. Instead of heating the whole living area.

Try this SOC reset and see if it helps:

Reactions: Tym
Wow! Thanks. It was a whole lot better than the method that I tried of discharging and charging. I held the power button just like you said for 10 seconds and it went from 58% to 30%. Thank you so much.

I think you should do a complete-discharge-to-fully-charged cycle at least once after the 10 second press to allow it to properly calibrate.

Reactions: Tym
Did another power button reset on the DP last night before bed. Percentage went from 62% to 71%. So the gap is changing and coming down. Am discharging it today and will charge it by solar and house current at 200w as we are forecast cloudy skies tomorrow.

Back