diy solar

diy solar

Delta Pro won't run my Well Pump....

Ron S.

Last week I bought an Eco Flow Delta Pro (3600w) solar gen to run our small off grid cabin (so we don't have to run the obnoxious 11KW Generac propane gen). The Delta Pro runs everything great w/ the 400w panel except the well pump. The well pump is 110v, 1/2hp but it shuts off the Delta Pro only at start up, surge at start up must be high.

The well is 40' deep and within 25 feet of the house. We have a good sized pressure tank in the cabin. The cabin has a regular electric panel that I hook either the big propane gen into or the Delta Pro via an adaptor. This is my first foray into the solar world and I'm at a loss... Is there any well pump that I can replace my current well pump with that the Delta Pro will run? Does it have to be a solar well pump? If the Delta Pro ever gets low I will just charge it with the Generac so I don't have to worry about not having enough solar. Budget can go to $1500. This group has been great as I've been on daily for weeks reading and learning.

Large inductive loads like electric motors have a very large starting surge. Probably your best bet is to look in to a soft start mod for the pump.

I went through this problem when designing my system. The split second that the well pump draws a crazy amp surge then it settles down to only 9 amps. I solved it with a bigger inverter. I have been using an AIMS 6k split phase for over a year now. I am now in the middle of upgrading the system. I added a 10 circuit load side transfer switch so I can power the refrigadeezer with the solar gen. (and/or the gas gen too)
in the event of a power outage (I live in Fla. we have hurry-canes, it's not about riding out the storm, It's about recovering from the storm) I'm adding 2 more 200 watt panels for a total of 6 (3 24volt strings of DC. no micro inverters. The 2 extra panels will require larger wiring (from 10 to 6 gauge. and an added combiner box.
This feeds a Renogy 40 amp charge controller. There are two 100Ah lifepo4 batteries and I have ordered a 24 volt 200 Ah to get the system through the night if the fridg is on. It's all mounted in a garden cart on wheels (no permit needed for portable gens.)

Last edited:
I solved a similar problem with an auto transformer from an old UPS. An autotransformer reduces voltage and increases current, just what you want in a soft start. A couple second time delay turns on a relay and switches the motor to full voltage once up to speed. This should work if you are up to experimenting.

I solved a similar problem with an auto transformer from an old UPS.
Or just use an unmodified UPS dedicated to the well pump. My 2700W LF UPS can start my 1/2hp garbage disposal without blinking. My 2500W HF Reliable can barely start the disposal, and brown out the house making other items turn off.

Attachments

• rollers.jpg
    rollers.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 17
  • UPS Reliable.jpg
    UPS Reliable.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 17
Or just use an unmodified UPS dedicated to the well pump. My 2700W LF UPS can start my 1/2hp garbage disposal without blinking. My 2500W HF Reliable can barely start the disposal, and brown out the house making other items turn off.
Since I saw your post I've been reading up on UPS. How would I be able to dedicate a UPS strictly to the well pump? What size UPS would I need do you think? I wish I knew more about this stuff!

Last week I bought an Eco Flow Delta Pro (3600w) solar gen to run our small off grid cabin (so we don't have to run the obnoxious 11KW Generac propane gen). The Delta Pro runs everything great w/ the 400w panel except the well pump. The well pump is 110v, 1/2hp but it shuts off the Delta Pro only at start up, surge at start up must be high.

The well is 40' deep and within 25 feet of the house. We have a good sized pressure tank in the cabin. The cabin has a regular electric panel that I hook either the big propane gen into or the Delta Pro via an adaptor. This is my first foray into the solar world and I'm at a loss... Is there any well pump that I can replace my current well pump with that the Delta Pro will run? Does it have to be a solar well pump? If the Delta Pro ever gets low I will just charge it with the Generac so I don't have to worry about not having enough solar. Budget can go to $1500. This group has been great as I've been on daily for weeks reading and learning.
Where is your water level at? I would use this pump depending on how far down water is. You could pump it into a holding tank all day long and pressure from there. I use these pumps for low pressure pumping, shower, sink, etc.....only 85 watts 24v DC. Most of the time I run it at 12v and it uses only 14 watts. I had one down a well but water table was at 13 feet. I ran it for 2 years strait 24/7 with zero issues at around 55 watts and 2 gallons a minute. They are designed to run for 30,000 hrs with ceramic bearings. I used an external controller so I can go over 24v. You have to use a check valve so you dont back feed the pump with gravity when it turns off or it will blow the brushless controller. It will become a power generator otherwise. I had to trim the input threads a bit to fit it down a 4" well. It can run directly form a solar panel.

The also have a never 120w unit that might work good for irigation if you want high flow. I don't know if it has the ceramic bearings or not.

Since I saw your post I've been reading up on UPS. How would I be able to dedicate a UPS strictly to the well pump? What size UPS would I need do you think? I wish I knew more about this stuff!
I learned by doing, and by reading this forum. The UPS is an APC 3000XL that starts the 1/2HP garbage disposal or garage door opener just fine. I can test my 1000XL to see how it handles the garbage disposal.

I did not want to pay the EcoFlow price so went redneck DIY. The 48V golf cart supplied the battery set, and I added 4x 12V 100W panels in series to recharge. The UPS and inverter are 48V. I paid total around the EcoFlow sell price, including the used golf cart. The golf cart also makes a handy tractor and powered wheelbarrow for maintaining acreage.

Attachments

• 18AH battery.jpg
    18AH battery.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 35AH battery.jpg
    35AH battery.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 12
Where is your water level at? I would use this pump depending on how far down water is. You could pump it into a holding tank all day long and pressure from there. I use these pumps for low pressure pumping, shower, sink, etc.....only 85 watts 24v DC. Most of the time I run it at 12v and it uses only 14 watts. I had one down a well but water table was at 13 feet. I ran it for 2 years strait 24/7 with zero issues at around 55 watts and 2 gallons a minute. They are designed to run for 30,000 hrs with ceramic bearings. I used an external controller so I can go over 24v. You have to use a check valve so you dont back feed the pump with gravity when it turns off or it will blow the brushless controller. It will become a power generator otherwise. I had to trim the input threads a bit to fit it down a 4" well. It can run directly form a solar panel.

The also have a never 120w unit that might work good for irigation if you want high flow. I don't know if it has the ceramic bearings or not.

The well report says static water at 16 feet so not too deep it doesn't seem like for one of these.

The well report says static water at 16 feet so not too deep it doesn't seem like for one of these.
You are fortunate to have shallow ground water. Sooo much easier to get it up and out with minimal power.

If you put the pump down towards the bottom, say 35 feet, you would never likely run it dry since its low volume.

You could also wire up the pressure switch to startup the generator if you are clever just for that function. If I was off-grid I would run a much smaller well pump; the newer constant pressure well pumps don't have huge startup loads w/ VFD's. I have a 5HP well pump and even my 15k solark can barely start it up.

i use a 25V dc booster pump 60psi from my well house to my 4 bath home. it's incredibly strong for it's size, and only cost about $100. i think it's spec. is 60 ft. of head. made in America at Aquatec, call Paul at 800-975 9995, they have a variety of quality pumps. mine is a 5500 series, he may suggest another one for you. use their $9. filter and don't let it run dry.

i use a 25V dc booster pump 60psi from my well house to my 4 bath home. it's incredibly strong for it's size, and only cost about $100. i think it's spec. is 60 ft. of head. made in America at Aquatec, call Paul at 800-975 9995, they have a variety of quality pumps. mine is a 5500 series, he may suggest another one for you. use their $9. filter and don't let it run dry.
Hey Tomy,
Those diaphragm pumps are not what you will pass on to your kids. Make sure you have a spare around and/or rebuild kit. They also typically have brushed motors. They fill a niche of decent PSI and affordable but are not designed for long life or continues duty.

I like impeller pumps, with long life bearings and brushless motors. Only wear/contact parts are the bearings. They go decades without issues. Maybe a good jet pump if you don't have to have max efficiency.

Hey Tomy,
Those diaphragm pumps are not what you will pass on to your kids. Make sure you have a spare around and/or rebuild kit. They also typically have brushed motors. They fill a niche of decent PSI and affordable but are not designed for long life or continues duty.

I like impeller pumps, with long life bearings and brushless motors. Only wear/contact parts are the bearings. They go decades without issues. Maybe a good jet pump if you don't have to have max efficiency.
I know they are not going to last ten or even three years, but being a surface mount pump , they can be replaced in minutes . and at one sixth the electrical cost they pay for themselves in a few months. not to mention they cost a fraction of a quality impeller pump. these are not Chinese crap either

Back