diy solar

diy solar

Dented / Swollen Eve 280Ah Cells

If a single cell reaches 4.2V, that doesn't neccesary mean the cell is bad.

First of all, it clearly indicates your BMS has failed and you have overcharged the cell. Thats nothing the seller of the cells can be blamed for.

If it IS a runner, the BMS should have avoided this. Once thats done, you need to do a capacity test. That would indicate whether the cell is bad (it shouldn't reach its rated capacity)
Well I am glad I never talked with you about this when it was happening.
They honoured their warranty in the end.
So I am glad.

Anyhow, the point I was making is obviously missed.
Sorry I can't delete what I said if no one gets the point or any help.

Paid by credit card, so at least I knew I had a little protection, ill await his response to what he has said today, if I haven't had a resolution by Friday ill contact credit card company.
Good that you have an out with the CC.
I went through my bank and they could care less what happened. :(

Paid by credit card, so at least I knew I had a little protection, ill await his response to what he has said today, if I haven't had a resolution by Friday ill contact credit card company.
The financial institution (or bank) that issues credit cards provide protection for the consumer in the event of theft or unauthorised use. There is no other protection in so far as a bad transaction/purchase that went wrong. They will always refer the cardholder back to the merchant to resolve any disputes. This is my understanding.

But, if you want protection that's better than that, open up an account with PayPal (it's free) and link your card to that account. I used to run an online store for many years, so I know a thing or two about this.

Also, if you treat this as a chargeback, which you shouldn't since this was neither a fraudulent case nor a lost card, keep in mind that the card will need to be replaced with a new one (with a new card number). This can be a huge inconvenience for some people.

Unfortunately, none of this helps your situation right now. But, if the seller is using words like 'compensation', that to me sounds like an admission or an acknowledgement that they are in the wrong. This is good. At least things are now heading in the right direction for you, so keep at them. Message them every day if you have to. That's what I would.

The financial institution (or bank) that issues credit cards provide protection for the consumer in the event of theft or unauthorised use. There is no other protection in so far as a bad transaction/purchase that went wrong. They will always refer the cardholder back to the merchant to resolve any disputes. This is my understanding.
"Item not as described" is a standard use-case in credit card chargeback handling. You will get the money back if you can proof (substantial) differences. But: depending on "terms and conditions" of the shop, you might be required to send back the stuff for refund/chargeback. Due to obvious reasons, that won't help in many Li-cell deals over Ali*.
To prevent from that pitfall, before placing order, negotiate with the seller that *he* is in charge to organise sending back wrong/defective cells at their cost. In case of a chargeback, just show that communication/agreement to the credit card company.

"Item not as described" is a standard use-case in credit card chargeback handling. You will get the money back if you can proof (substantial) differences. But: depending on "terms and conditions" of the shop, you might be required to send back the stuff for refund/chargeback. Due to obvious reasons, that won't help in many Li-cell deals over Ali*.
To prevent from that pitfall, before placing order, negotiate with the seller that *he* is in charge to organise sending back wrong/defective cells at their cost. In case of a chargeback, just show that communication/agreement to the credit card company.
Maybe the banks in the US do things differently, but here in Australia banks cannot act as judge and/or jury. At the end of the day, it is not up to them to decide who is right or wrong, even with evidence. It's a potential minefield because someone will get hurt and if the banks get it wrong, well, sparks will surely fly.

Well, you live and learn. Maybe this has come as a result of pressure/competition from the likes of PayPal or similar payment operators. But, whatever the cause, it's definitely a good thing for consumers.

I think your ability to do a chargeback is related to which credit card to use - its been a while since I researched this, but American Express has always been rated best for consumer friendliness related to chargebacks - its what I paid with when I bought from Michael at the group buy (lucky for me, my transaction went well). I have heard Chase Sapphire is also good.

I also agree that ask a lot of questions and go over what happens if you don't get what you ordered ahead of time with vendor - especially the shipping return.

I ordered back in April and the first shipment just vanished, these replacements were first sent to the Netherlands, then into the UK to Scotland then back down the country to me in the Midlands, they have a had quite a journey, no surprise they are damaged.

The order does state Grade A Brand are cells.

I am gutted after waiting 6 months

I ordered 64 cells and got 61. FedEx doesn't know and doesn't care about what happened to the 3 missing cells. No cooperation whatsoever from them.

I have received my order of 4 280Ah eve cells for Shenzen basen today, I have waited over 6 months for them to arrive as the first shipment didn't arrive.
I have opened to inspect them and noticed that the bottoms on them are either swollen or dented on the side.
I have only had chance to check basic voltage on the terminals so far, but they checked out ok.
Would you consider these batteries damaged or ok to use?
It certainly looks like those were dropped. I would be worried that all of the connections from the jelly roll to the terminals survived.
If they were well packaged as you say, that would be a pretty significant drop.

Why don't you take a picture of the swollen cells in a similar angle to how they have their cells pictured on the Alibaba website, combine the two images, so they are shown in one picture side-by-side, and then ask them to spot the difference?

Using pictures of perfect looking cells and then delivering grade 'B' or damaged cells, is totally unacceptable and misleading. After all, you wouldn't have bought those cells if the pictures shown on the Alibaba website were like the ones you took, right?

Just don't give in, no matter what they say. Keep hammering the point that you have received unusable cells that are also considered dangerous. I wouldn't use them, and I guess most people on this forum wouldn't use them either. And let them know how you feel about the whole situation... that would be my advice. That's what I would do.
You haven't dealt with the Alibaba or Aliexpress dispute team, have you?

If a single cell reaches 4.2V, that doesn't neccesary mean the cell is bad.

First of all, it clearly indicates your BMS has failed and you have overcharged the cell. Thats nothing the seller of the cells can be blamed for.

If it IS a runner, the BMS should have avoided this. Once thats done, you need to do a capacity test. That would indicate whether the cell is bad (it shouldn't reach its rated capacity)
Er, she had a battery monitor, not a battery management system. No need to start this again.

You haven't dealt with the Alibaba or Aliexpress dispute team, have you?
I had a dispute open as the original batteries that were sent out just vanished on arrival into the UK and I waited nearly 6 months for the battery and the tracking numbers still wasn't showing up anything. I had to purchase a battery for my motorhome from here in the uk in the end in order to go on the holiday I had planned to have the batteries in time for.

I had a dispute open as the original batteries that were sent out just vanished on arrival into the UK and I waited nearly 6 months for the battery and the tracking numbers still wasn't showing up anything. I had to purchase a battery for my motorhome from here in the uk in the end in order to go on the holiday I had planned to have the batteries in time for.
Typically with damaged or cells that don't meet specifications, the best Alibaba or Aliexpress will offer is a small percentage of the price. In your case the tracking number didn't show up, but in MANY instances, sellers hack a server and show the cells as delivered, when they were never shipped. Never think Alibaba or Aliexpress is on your side or reasonable, they most assuredly don't care if your house burns down. ALWAYS use a credit card, preferably through PayPal so you get at least two options to get actual recourse.

Re: chargebacks. CC companies vary some but most I think will fix it if you really got screwed. I live in a rural area a long way from the county road. When UPS delivers, most of the time they bring the package to my house. I ordered 3 charge controllers and wasn't expecting them for a while since I thought they were coming from China. But Amazon shipped them and UPS decided to leave this huge box up by the county road, and someone helped themselves to it. (I'm sure they were crestfallen when they opened the box and had ZERO idea what they had snagged :) ). I complained to UPS and they said "delivered". I said "not delivered, my security camera proves it". Long story short, I charged it back. I never received the product and I didn't want to pay for it. The CC company at first issued a "conditional credit" and a couple of weeks later a credit. UPS is who should have paid the loss as it was their dumb decision to leave a large box at the side of a road where there is no one around. But who knows what happened.

Your credit card company should have no problem dealing with this. I ordered a chainsaw “parts kit” that includes everything to assemble the saw of course it’s a knockoff from China but I needed a very large saw and couldn’t stomach the $2000 price tag for the real deal (powerhead only). Long story short I received the saw, with several parts damaged, bad spark plug threads etc. I communicated with the company that I wanted replacement parts or a refund of the money for the replacement parts (around $250) so I could track down parts myself. Several emails later and making no headway I contacted my card company. They refunded the order in full ($780) despite me only asking for the $250 I had in damaged parts. I would absolutely go to your card company first. I feel this is the best way to deal with dishonest sellers. They are just out to waste your time in hopes you just give up.

Careful with the charge backs, if you do too many your card company may stop you from charging back again, also I know this info is shared among the credit card companies so even if you switch to a different company they will know.

Back