diy solar

diy solar

Discussion of cells with diy battery bank

you know... this is actually almost the same price as 3 of the https://signaturesolar.com/eg4-lifepower4-lithium-battery-48v-100ah/ and actually slightly less capacity.

Yeah I'm not sure I see the savings here, Its nice to have another option but I don't really buy the whole outdoor battery, this thing in Texas heat is not going to last 10 years, I would say definitely indoor climate control.

Speaking of, why only heating, why not go full tesla powerwall with heating and cooling. NO one actually makes a heated/cooling battery?

I don't see a heat pump. Is it just a basic radiator and some heaters?

If this is referring to the NCA and NMC powerwalls they were making, it makes since. I don't see the point of using it for LiFePO4. Especially large packs. Unnecessary for stationary storage if the battery is sized properly.

I think I need to buy more packs because I don't want to open it and screw anything up ? or mess up the outdoor rating. I really want to test these outside in winter. I really like these packs. I want to swap out all of my server rack towers for them. They look so futuristic

Attachments

• aba0d80b4e40bf3c8e36c6d5c73b2a8b.jpeg
    aba0d80b4e40bf3c8e36c6d5c73b2a8b.jpeg
    470 KB · Views: 40
  • d745d5001b910f242208689fb7272a2f.jpeg
    d745d5001b910f242208689fb7272a2f.jpeg
    245.6 KB · Views: 40
Way too heavy. They should figure out a version that comes in two pieces that stack together.
No pleasing some, how do you propose to break them in half ???? Weak people will have to stick with 5kw batteries !!!!
I really want to test these outside in winter.
I really want to see them in the hot sun of a southern state. The idea that an inverter and batteries can be installed OUTSIDE the home is massive.

I think I need to buy more packs because I don't want to open it and screw anything up ? or mess up the outdoor rating. I really want to test these outside in winter. I really like these packs. I want to swap out all of my server rack towers for them. They look so futuristic
I bet many ppl would be interested in the server towers ?

Speaking of, why only heating, why not go full tesla powerwall with heating and cooling. NO one actually makes a heated/cooling battery?
Tesla Powerwall is pretty advanced. It is liquid cooled/heated and has multiple pumps moving that liquid.

Yes but it's still a radiative cooling system I think, it can't cool the battery below ambient temp.
You don't have much headroom if your ambient is 110F already. When charging it (PowerPro) will shut down at 158F. Plus no matter what the heat doesn't do good things for LiFePO4 so anything to keep it cooler helps longevity. Cycle life for a 280Ah EVE cell for instance is 6000 at 77F but only 2500 at 113F. You have to wonder what it is when you get much higher than that.

You don't have much headroom if your ambient is 110F already. When charging it (PowerPro) will shut down at 158F. Plus no matter what the heat doesn't do good things for LiFePO4 so anything to keep it cooler helps longevity. Cycle life for a 280Ah EVE cell for instance is 6000 at 77F but only 2500 at 113F. You have to wonder what it is when you get much higher than that.
I was talking about the Tesla Powerwall but I think the result will be same for EG4. Powerwall is "rated" for ambient up to 122, but they "recommend" operating in ambient up to 86.

I would prefer to have the connections, screen, dip switches, and breaker, on the front. So that you can put multiples side by side. Without having to spread them apart for access.
Other than that and the weight, I like the look of them.

I'll be sticking to my 304's ( except my little envision experiment)
Envision experiment?
Sorry if I am going off the main topic here for a moment, - by "experiment" do you mean you were ultimately unhappy with the Envision cells, or you found the 304's more economic and thus the Envision cells were a one-off for that reason?
Curious.

Considering the ESS is the most expensive part of Solar, if this cost is spread over only 6 years instead of 16 years, this has a huge impact to the overall math IMO.

I'm picturing this type of unit with slide in cells, then it would be manageable. That way, you could place the unit, then just add the cells. And it's doable, we add and remove batteries all the time to different things. They put quick connects on batteries for racks, it would be the same thing for the cells.

diy solar

diy solar
Back