diy solar

diy solar

DIY or Buy? Charging from generator on dark days or grid down. (48v system)

Now it largely looks like a great option, despite a few possible issues (resetting settings when it's powered off? )
That doesn't seem to be the case. I previously thought it was. But further testing (personally confirmed) has shown that it retained the settings.

Yes, I've been aware of double conversion UPSs for many years. You pay extra for that and know exactly what you're buying, because it's a beefier inverter and much bigger DC power supply in one, both designed for continuous duty. To my knowledge those UPSs are the only place you find both components in the same box. Anything bigger, and they'd probably just set up some big equipment as separate components to do the job.

The chargeverter is the first entry I've seen into the premade market for a neat box device that fills that niche for the consumer level off-grid/grid backup role. My guess is it'll be a long time before we see a double conversion inverter, especially now that the CV is out. Anyone who has a real use for the isolation probably knows what they're doing.

If we ever see double conversion large inverters in one box, it'll probably be one of two reasons:
1. The first world grid has gone to third world regulation or worse.
2. Privacy geeks are doing it to prevent the utility spying on what devices are running in their house.

As for settings reset, I expect you're watching the testing in that thread, with preliminary results indicating that was probably a fluke and/or bad memory, not normal operation.
I think I started a reply, changed my mind, came back to reply to someone else and it got remembered. Sorry about that! Edited my reply to remove since I had re-read your comment (and thats why I changed mind about replying realizing I missed what you said lol)

Anyways, for the usecase I'm thinking of this wouldn't be on 24/7, just to charge from gen when grid down and not enough solar.

Yeah, watching the thread since I don't remotely have a use for a 100A charger (yet) so it feels hard to justify the price *for me* (not saying bad value for what it is, just that I would be vastly under using it)

Technology. Can't live with it, can't live without it, but it's gotten to the point where it acts at least as much to autocorrupt as it does to autocorrect. Cheers!

Back