diy solar

diy solar

generator will only charge batteries if solar is detected

jim furlong

good day folks

I'm running 2 x LV6548 with 20 kwh LFP batteries to supply my house with 240V AC, off grid.... the odd time i need to use my generator to charge my batteries i can only do so during the day when solar is detected... could be cloudy and only 5 watts coming in but as long as the solar is detected the inverter allows to run the house on the generator as well as charge the batteries from the generator at the same time..... the moment solar is not detected(sun sets or i turn off the solar breakers) the inverters stop charging the batteries and only supply AC to the house ..... I have to preemptively charge my batteries during the day time if i know i need extra energy for the night.... not ideal. i've combed through all of the settings and cant figure out how to charge my batteries at night with the inverters on.i could turn off the inverters and sit in the dark and wait for the batteries to charge as a last resort.... my family wont like that.

i have read others similar problems on the form but i cant seem to find the solution , if there is one.

Anybody have any suggestions??

Lol. I have done that and noticed the inverters detect voltage.... Might actually work. Not ideal to have to park my car in front of my panels and leave the lights on just to charge my batteries during the night

I was thinking my dumb joke would bump this back up to the top and someone with experience with your inverter might pop in.

How is your generator connected?
Do you have pics and a wiring diagram you can share?

Create a ~5W source at an appropriate voltage and feed from the generator and feed the PV pins? Simplest thing would be to buy an EG4 chargeverter from SS. Annoying but relatively inexpensive and dirt simple to implement.

I have considered a chargeverter... I just can't bring myself to spend the $700 Canadian for the one or two times a year I may need it

I have tried all of the options in settings 1 and 16
Have not tried changing settings 03 which is on the default of appliances
In the manual for option 16 it does say that...
(If this inverter/charger is working in Battery mode, only solar energy can charge battery. Solar energy will charge battery if it's available and sufficient)

I guess it's part of the programming that I cannot charge the batteries from utility when solar isn't present. Even though it appears that the functionality to do that is there since I can charge my batteries from utility the moment solar is detected.
Maybe having voltage on the PV inputs turns on the charger and then I can charge With either solar or grid....

I'm going to email mppsolar and see if they can offer a solution

I have considered a chargeverter... I just can't bring myself to spend the $700 Canadian for the one or two times a year I may need it

I have tried all of the options in settings 1 and 16
Have not tried changing settings 03 which is on the default of appliances
In the manual for option 16 it does say that...
(If this inverter/charger is working in Battery mode, only solar energy can charge battery. Solar energy will charge battery if it's available and sufficient)

I guess it's part of the programming that I cannot charge the batteries from utility when solar isn't present. Even though it appears that the functionality to do that is there since I can charge my batteries from utility the moment solar is detected.
Maybe having voltage on the PV inputs turns on the charger and then I can charge With either solar or grid....

I'm going to email mppsolar and see if they can offer a solution
It's definitely odd I was running a LVX6048 and could charge from Gen without PV. Another thing you could try is adding a separate load to the generator to see if it makes any difference.

You might find this useful for a separate charger...

Back