diy solar

diy solar

DIY Seplos Mason Setup Install Questions

tkofee

Hi all,

Thanks to owning an EV, we currently benefit from very cheap overnight electricity but get stung during the day.

In researching options I found the Seplos Mason DIY, which looks like a good option.

My shopping list currently looks like this:
- Seplos Mason DIY Kit
- Eve 280ah Grade B LFP Cells
- Solis 3.0kw AC Coupled Battery Charger Inverter

My questions are:
- Do I need a specific type of fuse between the battery and inverter? Can I use something like this? https://midsummerwholesale.co.uk/buy/giv-energy/giv-100a-dc-breaker

- If I want more than 3.0kw power draw from the battery in the future (or to add a hybrid/solar inverter), can I run two inverters off the one battery?

- 'house' side of the inverter, I plan to run an AC Isolator and get DNO approval. Is there anything else I need to be aware of/plan for?

Thank you!

Hi all,

Thanks to owning an EV, we currently benefit from very cheap overnight electricity but get stung during the day.

In researching options I found the Seplos Mason DIY, which looks like a good option.

My shopping list currently looks like this:
- Seplos Mason DIY Kit
- Eve 280ah Grade B LFP Cells
- Solis 3.0kw AC Coupled Battery Charger Inverter

My questions are:
- Do I need a specific type of fuse between the battery and inverter? Can I use something like this? https://midsummerwholesale.co.uk/buy/giv-energy/giv-100a-dc-breaker

- If I want more than 3.0kw power draw from the battery in the future (or to add a hybrid/solar inverter), can I run two inverters off the one battery?

- 'house' side of the inverter, I plan to run an AC Isolator and get DNO approval. Is there anything else I need to be aware of/plan for?

Thank you!
If you are just doing a single Seplos Mason unit then what you are looking at is fine. Since the battery kit doesn't have a circuit breaker you do need one. The battery is rated for a maximum of 200A draw, but the inverter is only 60A, so sizing at 100A is a reasonable compromise for future flexibility.

You can run multiple inverters off a single battery, in fact that is the preferred way; you parallel additional batteries on a single bus to add capacity. You would want a 100A breaker for each battery before paralleling them, and ideally add a dedicated breaker for each inverter.

Can't help on your last question.

Hi Shimmy,

Thank you for the quick reply!

When running multiple inverters, do you have a BMS link between them? How does the battery communicate with the inverters or is it just treated as a ‘dumb’ store?

Thank you!

When running multiple inverters, do you have a BMS link between them? How does the battery communicate with the inverters or is it just treated as a ‘dumb’ store?
The "master" inverter communicates with the batteries and the "slave" inverters coordinate with the master.

Thank you Shimmy. How do the inverters communicate? Do only certain inverters support this? I’ve not seen any mention in the solis manual so far..
Thanks,

Tom

Thank you Shimmy. How do the inverters communicate? Do only certain inverters support this? I’ve not seen any mention in the solis manual so far..
If the inverters are capable of paralleling they will have a communication link. It is possible to do it without communication, but not very reliable.

Hi tkofee
You have to make sure that the inverter you have or purchase is OK to parallel with another inverter, not all are. There are connections on the inverter usually rs485 to connect each inverter together, one will be master and the other(s) subordinates. Only the mater has the CT clamps connected to it. The inverters need to be configured in the parameters, try and find as much info on your inverter as possible.

Back